Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2009, 05:22   #331
BHPian

I am planning to buy a GPS device for my Punto. I dont need the bluetooth and all but video player if there is good. PLease suggest whether to go for MMI or SatNav with Garmin or Nuvi. If precise model the better. Also what screen size is easy eniugh to use.
Old 12th December 2009, 17:50   #332
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajesh1868 View Post
Thanks ampere
pardon my ignorance. but why should we load map into pc?
satguide give an sd card which we need to put in the device right?
Hey sorry, I was on the road and hence could not respond earlier. The need arises because you may want to plan your travel/routes/travel-points etc. Lets say you want to go from Bangalore to Kerala. There are multiple ways. GPS would provide you the way which it thinks is the best. But you may have other ideas.

If you want to go according to your route, then you need to load a route plan into the device. Or lets say you want to add your own places/destinations on to the device, then its difficult to search the same. Its easy to search and plan these things on a PC rather than on a portable device.

But then as you rightly said the map provided by Satguide in an SD card, does not officially support PC browsing of the map. You need to hack your way through that. Hope this helps.

Meanwhile I used the 205W + Satguide on my recent trip. All I can say is that its quite good. But still you need some help from locals if you are searching for some local routes. But nevertheless its a very useful piece of hardware to have. I would recommend a sturdy mount, apart from what you get in the box.

Attached is the amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-109...d_bxgy_e_img_b

Last edited by ampere : 12th December 2009 at 17:54.
Old 12th December 2009, 19:16   #333
Senior - BHPian

One need not do it on a PC. Most navigation software on PNDs and mobiles today allow one to specify a different way point *after* the software calculates the optimum route (as per setting: fastest or shortest). This is editable via a menu option in the 2D map mode (not route guidance mode, which is usually a simulated 3D visual). If one deviates from this edited route, the navigation software remembers and reckons with the edit when re-calculating the route.

Last edited by DerAlte : 12th December 2009 at 19:17.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:08   #334
Senior - BHPian

That works for short routes. But for long journeys (E.g. from Bombay to Nagpur) it helps if you plan all sections in advance and save that in device.

During actual journey, you just need to select route that has already been saved.

In my experience, Nokia OVI Maps and Garmin have the best interface for route planning on PC.
Old 12th December 2009, 21:22   #335
J.Ravi

MapmyIndia Lx130

• My requirement is a simple and basic GPS without Bluetooth since my Fiat Linea is already equipped with Blue&Me and my mobile is a basic vanilla model without GPS.
  • I ordered for MapmyIndia Lx130 navigator costing Rs 11,990/- online using my debit card on Wednesday [9.12.2009] afternoon. On Thursday [10.12.2009] evening, I received it from the courier. I am very happy about the fastest servcie from MapmyIndia. In fact, their e-mail acknowledgement to my order said it would be dispatched within 6 working days. The customer care executive informed me that I would get it on Friday. But, actually I got it on Thursday. That's the way to work.
  • I got MapmyIndia Lx 130 in Midnight Black. Earlier, it was in Pearl White, it seems. The customer care executive informed me that I would be getting the latest version of hardware and software with the latest maps covering 620 cities as against 400+ mentioned in their website. It was also mentioned so on the sticker pasted on the box.
  • The same night, I charged it fully for 8 hours as specfied in the user manual. When I switched it on Friday morning, standing on the open terrace of my home, the satellite connectivity was established within a few minutes. After establishment of connectivity, a 'lock' icon was also shown for the first & last time.
  • Then onwards, whenever I switched the navigator on, it connected with satellite immediately [within a minute].
  • The navigator showed accurately the locations of my home, PoI near my home like HP petrol pump, etc.
  • In the settings, I set the fastest [by default] instead of the shortest. So, it guided me a somewhat roundabout route, avoiding streets. Similarly, from home to Marathalli, it avoided going through Cubbon Park [Legally, it belongs to Department of Horticulture, which is not a public thoroughfare, maybe that could a reason]. After I entered Cubbon Park, immediately, it started guiding further within Cubbon Park. Whatever deviation I made from the suggested route, the navigator immediately recognised, got the bearing and started guiding further from that point.
  • The voice guidance was really superb feature. I think, with voice guidance only, one can easily reach the destination. One need not see the LCD panel while driving. My son-in-law uses Tom Tom GPS in Melbourne in his Honda CRV. I do not find any difference between Tom Tom and MapmyIndia.
  • This is the first accessory I bought for my Fiat Linea.
  • So far, I have not used it on highways. But, in Bangalore, it works accurately. In nutshell, it serves my purpose and I am satisfied with it.
  • Here is a picture:
Attached Thumbnails
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-mmi.jpg  

Last edited by J.Ravi : 12th December 2009 at 21:41.

Old 12th December 2009, 22:27   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjo View Post
I am planning to buy a GPS device for my Punto. I dont need the bluetooth and all but video player if there is good. PLease suggest whether to go for MMI or SatNav with Garmin or Nuvi. If precise model the better. Also what screen size is easy eniugh to use.
Hi, MMI maps are best, Garmin don't play video, You may choose MMI VX140, it plays AVI vedio well.
Old 12th December 2009, 22:36   #337
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Hi, MMI maps are best, Garmin don't play video, You may choose MMI VX140, it plays AVI vedio well.
Question is do you need a video? If you ask me, the best value for money is Garmin + Satguide. If one can get Garmin from US and buy Satguide maps in India, they are best combination both from pricing and also utility.

MMI maps at 7K is just too high.

If you want to buy as a one stop solution, then you may choose MMI, but then be aware you will pay at least 5 to 6K more for a hardware of same performance and the map included.
Old 12th December 2009, 22:48   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Question is do you need a video? If you ask me, the best value for money is Garmin + Satguide. If one can get Garmin from US and buy Satguide maps in India, they are best combination both from pricing and also utility.

MMI maps at 7K is just too high.

If you want to buy as a one stop solution, then you may choose MMI, but then be aware you will pay at least 5 to 6K more for a hardware of same performance and the map included.
Ya right, if you get Gramin from US and put MMI maps its Total cost will become same as Garmin offered by MMI.
Old 13th December 2009, 12:09   #339
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Ya right, if you get Gramin from US and put MMI maps its Total cost will become same as Garmin offered by MMI.
@Shamanth,

I meant Satguide maps and not MMI. MMI sells them at 7K and Satguide at 2K. Still both cover the same number of cities (~400).

I did not see any comments on this forum as to why one should pay 5K more to buy MMI. Based on that I went ahead and bought Satguide.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:00   #340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Shamanth,

I meant Satguide maps and not MMI. MMI sells them at 7K and Satguide at 2K. Still both cover the same number of cities (~400).

I did not see any comments on this forum as to why one should pay 5K more to buy MMI. Based on that I went ahead and bought Satguide.
@ampere

Yes if we buy Garmin from US it will work out cheaper if you buy satguide, since garmin 215 in US will cost around Rs 6000.

MMI maps cover more than 600 cities. I had gone to mysore yesterday with my MMI VX140, found out almost all small towns like mandya, maddur, Ramnagara were mapped.

But if you consider Total package Satguide devices with maps it will cost almost same as MMI devices with maps.

Not sure if we get Garmin device so cheap in India?
Old 14th December 2009, 09:09   #341
BHPian

ampere/nfb/deralite,
Thanks for those infos.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:14   #342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
covering 620 cities as against 400+ mentioned in their website.
Thats an interesting observation. I thought they were listed for only 400 cities.

By the way, nice review, Believe you kept the MMI on your sunvisor. Explore alternate locations if you can.

Thanks
Old 14th December 2009, 09:23   #343
Team-BHP Support

@Shamanth

Wow! I did not know they cover 620 cities. Can you please mention, where this number came up from? As per their page they still say 401.

MapmyIndia Navigator - India's choice in In-car GPS navigation
Old 14th December 2009, 09:24   #344
J.Ravi

@lambuhere1: I have fixed the suction-holder on the top of the windshield so that the LCD panel is just by the side of inside rear view mirror to ensure clear view of the road. BTW, which is the best optimal location? The user manual is silent about it.

Old 14th December 2009, 14:55   #345
BHPian

[quote=J.Ravi;1631553BTW, which is the best optimal location? The user manual is silent about it.[/quote]

Personally, I wouldn't recommend on the windscreen if you have a sunfilm on the windscreen. Otherwise, any good location where you can view the same without taking your eyes of the road is a good choice for you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks