Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2010, 16:08   #1081
Senior - BHPian

I used Garmin with MMI maps for a recent trip to Kerala thru Bandipur and Nilambur. The map was spot on, even though I did make sure to ask at each junction for direction.
Old 6th July 2010, 23:10   #1082
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Actually you can do routing from maps.google.com and export a kml file. Then convert the kml to gpx
Two questions:

a. How do I save/export a Google Map route to a KML file?

b. How do I get my Garmin to use a GPX file? I have a Nuvi 205W.
Old 7th July 2010, 00:57   #1083
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Two questions:

a. How do I save/export a Google Map route to a KML file?

b. How do I get my Garmin to use a GPX file? I have a Nuvi 205W.
Here's answers.
YOu know how to route in google maps. Now once the routing is done, you also know how to click and drag to modify the route to cover the routes which you feel is best.
If you notice there's a save to my maps option on the left end of the monitor.
Click on it and google will ask you to sign in using your google account.
Once you do that above the map, this link comes up which says view in google earth. Ensure that google earth is installed in your computer.

Clicking on that link gives you two options. Either open in google earth, or save in kml format.
Click save in kml format!
Here's a pictorial tutorial.

Select your from and to places and modify the route however you want. I've chosen Pune to Diveagar as in pic below.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-1.jpg

Scroll down and you'll see the link save to my maps. If you are not signed in to google account, upon clicking that save to my maps link, it will redirect you to sign in and then come back to this page again and you scroll down again after signing in and click save to my maps button. Once you click that there's another drop down option that comes up.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-2.jpg

Select the option create new map and hit the save button.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-3.jpg

Once saved the view in google earth link shows above your map as in pic below. Ensure that you have google earth installed to get this. Else you will have to restart from step one.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-4.jpg

Click the link and this pops up. Chose the save option.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-5.jpg

Chose your directory and type the file name. Else default comes as direction to your end place, like diveagar in this instance. The default extension is .kml.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-6.jpg

There a utility (freeware) called kml2gpx. Use that to convert your kml to gpx.
Once you convert kml to gpx, Simply copy the gpx file and paste it in your trip logs folder along with other gpx files in the garmin folder of your garmin 205 nuvi.
God knows how garmin reads this, but when I search this particular route, my garmin picked up the custom route I made using google maps converted to gpx from kml and imported!
It also showed non-existing roads in satnav maps as offroading!

So all the people who feel that google maps in garmin is sorely missed, it's time to unlock your garmin! GO ahead. make your custom maps and routes. It worked for my 265wt. I'd even posted the custom map that I took from pune to morachi chincholi. The distance between the route suggested by google maps and by satnav maps was over 70 kms. Morachi chincholi was infact 1 - 1.5 hours drive from pune incidentally!
Hope this helps.

Anytime you want to edit your saved maps, you can open the saved kml in google maps or google earth instead of routing fresh. Also look at that link my maps besides get directions link. Clicking on that shows all the new maps you've saved!
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-7.jpg

Last edited by MX6 : 7th July 2010 at 01:03.
Old 7th July 2010, 09:37   #1084
Team-BHP Support

MX one thing which I always thought is: why would someone need to create a custom POI when he/she can manage with waypoints being created in Mapsource and having them transferred to the device as favourites.
A custom routes can also be created using favourites.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:23   #1085
MX6
Senior - BHPian

One can do that. But then mapsource reads your map that you unlocked from the sd card sent by satguide. That map is satnav. You are in a way looking at the same maps which is incomplete. So certain roads don't exist in the maps which actually exist like the morachi drive of mine. And certain roads exist in the map which actually don't exist like the Raigad drive of mine!
In such case, routing through google maps is better!
Ofcourse one can create custom routes using favourites. But then it goes on what satguide maps deems existing routes. If you know the road like the back of your hand, like say a preferred route you take to office, then you can record, save it to your favourites and use the same.
Can you pm me to which ID you want me to mail you kml2gpx? Also have a look at gpsbabel.
Old 7th July 2010, 13:28   #1086
Senior - BHPian

Got a Garmin Nuvi 265WT from US. Cost me $159 at PC Richards. Loaded it with Satguide India map and it seems to work great so far. The only problem is with naming of roads and lack of a common address format in India.
Old 7th July 2010, 14:14   #1087
Team-BHP Support

For google routes, yes I totally agree. If you are using third party maps, then it makes sense.
Old 7th July 2010, 17:53   #1088
BHPian

I just received a mail regarding this monsoon clearance sale offer from Satguide:
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-monsoon_cle_sale_1.jpg
Old 7th July 2010, 18:53   #1089
evo
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
I just received a mail regarding this monsoon clearance sale offer from Satguide:
Attachment 382979
Sounds very lucrative, though I dunno what "working condition" and "sparingly used" mean !
Old 7th July 2010, 20:25   #1090
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Throw away prices. I hope satguide is not going to file for bankruptcy and is trying to clear stock completely before that.
The personal tracker sounds damn interesting. Guess it's time to talk to a representative.
Old 7th July 2010, 20:55   #1091
BHPian

Well, it clearly says demo pieces. Looks like they are going to discontinue the current models and introducing new ones

Regards,
Old 7th July 2010, 21:06   #1092
Senior - BHPian

Its just a way to sell the repaired pieces and clear old unsold inventory, customers get them cheap and they empty their inventory. Nothing new about companies doing this.
Old 7th July 2010, 21:24   #1093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX6 View Post
But then mapsource reads your map that you unlocked from the sd card sent by satguide.
Did you use the Gmaptool - Mapsettoolkit route? If so, which version of GMaptool did you use? It would be nice if you would post a tutorial on how to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
Sounds very lucrative, though I dunno what "working condition" and "sparingly used" mean !
Quote:
Originally Posted by amohit View Post
Well, it clearly says demo pieces. Looks like they are going to discontinue the current models and introducing new ones

Regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Its just a way to sell the repaired pieces and clear old unsold inventory, customers get them cheap and they empty their inventory. Nothing new about companies doing this.
Think they say "demo" so that full price paying customers are not up in arms. Bought a unit sometime back. Nothing demo or used or repaired/ refurbished about it. Was NOS. And please note, these are actual reasonable prices. They are not selling at a loss.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 8th July 2010, 10:48   #1094

Mapsource and Satnav map

Folks,

I bought a nuvi 255w and satnav map in micro-SD card recently. I want to use MapSource to see satnav map. Can anyone here give instructions on how to do it ?

Thanks
MKS
Old 8th July 2010, 13:22   #1095
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Seems like a really sweet deal. Since I'm a total n00b regarding these devices/software/maps, can somebody tell me which is the best device/deal among these? Moreover, are these maps any good? I'll mostly be navigating in the metros. And can I use other maps (like MMI) on these devices, or are they locked?

I'm looking at the Voxtel device for 4590 INR...

Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks