Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 12:20   #1051
Senior - BHPian

HTC is Damn good in signal reception and display. Earlier before getting VX140, i used to use HTC touch with external GPS. It used to be spot on and remember display clarity was better than my VX140.
Old 21st June 2010, 12:44   #1052
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsrini View Post
My understanding is that the recent models like the nokia 5230, HTC legend and other higher end touch/smart phones, have inbuilt GPS antennas as well, so function in what is know as the A-GPS or assisted GPS mode. So if there is no satellite connectivity, then the device relies on the GSM/ GPRS network to provide a location fix and thereafter routing etc.
smsrini - you missed the point! I was not talking about GPS connectivity but GPRS connectivity which is required to download map tiles to the device (unless you have stored these locally).
Old 21st June 2010, 13:46   #1053
rbp
BHPian

Guys, any good in-car holder for my Samsung spica? cost?
Old 21st June 2010, 14:15   #1054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbp View Post
Guys, any good in-car holder for my Samsung spica? cost?
Check the universal mobile holder in ebay eBay India: Car Mobile Phone / GPS / PDA / iPOD / MP3 Holder Mount (item 110537877432 end time 24-Jun-2010 18:17:01 IST)

I used the same one for my HTC, the grip was excellent, it never came off even when i used to park in sun.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:17   #1055
BANNED

Just got my Nuvi265. Plugged in the SatNav card (Full size SD).Too hot for me to go outside for it to get a fix right now.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:27   #1056
MX6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Just got my Nuvi265. Plugged in the SatNav card (Full size SD).Too hot for me to go outside for it to get a fix right now.
Welcome to the club. You don't need to go outside to get a fix immediately. You can use the simulation mode staying indoors. It's fun!
Also search for some random POIs. Search for cities and make them your current location and search for POIs near that position.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:30   #1057
Senior - BHPian

Leaving the unit near a window is also good enough to get you a sat fix in a short time.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:15   #1058
BANNED

Looks like SatNav and Google are using the same maps. In both my road is misspelt as Bethoor Road instead of Bithoor Road. I will update as I get to know it a bit.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:21   #1059
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like SatNav and Google are using the same maps.
How I wish it was true! Definitely not - SatNav is nowhere near Google!!
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:37   #1060
BANNED

All Google Maps fans. I was one until I decided to go to Uttarakhand. The road (ages old) from Bhimtal to Bhowali is missing. So GMaps wants you to go down to Kathgodam and then to Nainital to go anywhere? Adds a minimum of 35km!

Got my Nuvi265WT running with SatNav. It looks like it is more for the from here to A or from Home to A (or reverse) device. Still to figure out how to go from A to B. Is quite fast. Just remember to let it lock initially before using it every time, otherwise you will only get garbage.

Is very accurate. A gripe - does not work with PIN codes!

Found that in my Civic I have to use the friction Grip. Which is essentially a heavy bag with a soft rubber base, on which you can mount the unit. The windscreen is too far for the vacuum cup to be of much use.

Another point, You may need a 2-way adapter for the power socket if you want to use anything else, a car fridge in my case. The power adapter has a built in 1A fuse.

Heard that in some cities, esp. in Delhi you risk a broken window just to steal the GPS. So watch out. Also, a case for buying a pouch.
Old 22nd June 2010, 14:46   #1061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got my Nuvi265WT running with SatNav. It looks like it is more for the from here to A or from Home to A (or reverse) device. Still to figure out how to go from A to B. Is quite fast. Just remember to let it lock initially before using it every time, otherwise you will only get garbage.
I think it has a "set a new starting point" option too, but if it doesn't then you can do this:
1. Set B as your destination.
2. Add A as a "via point". It will ask you whether you want add A as new destination or via point.

But, you can check the A to B routes on their webpage as well.
MapmyIndia - maps, directions, and local search across India - just search, print and go!

Quote:
Heard that in some cities, esp. in Delhi you risk a broken window just to steal the GPS. So watch out.
Not only Delhi, most big cities in US too.
Old 22nd June 2010, 15:59   #1062
MX6
Senior - BHPian

And in most of the big cities across UK and Europe too! Not just Delhi and US!

@sgiitk. Are you sure that the pin-code thing doesn't work for you? For me I've used that a couple of times (in chennai) and it worked fine.
And am surprised about the garbage too. I didn't get garbage. Incidentally, for me it didn't suggest any route at all and went back to the main screen until it locked. Then I had to hit the routing again.
If your map doesn't show you the route you can see in google, I'd suggest you to do a routing in Google earth. Save that as kml file. Then use converting programs like kml2gpx to convert that to gpx format and then save to your garmin.
When you try routing to the place, voila you find that if will show you the new route you have deviced, converted and imported! I remember my garmin asking me to off-road on perfectly available roads on a trip to a nearby place, speaking of which I plan to go there again this weekend to see the peacocks in full glory.
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:05   #1063
BANNED

@MX6: I tried quite a few local Pin codes - did not work. May be MMI does, and Satnav does not.

Garbage - obvious if it does not have an initial fix it may assume it is anywhere. Once when I powered up and did not wait it wanted to Navigate from Turkman Gate, Delhi. No big deal since it locks within 20 seconds!
Old 22nd June 2010, 21:22   #1064
BHPian

Quote:
All Google Maps fans. I was one until I decided to go to Uttarakhand. The road (ages old) from Bhimtal to Bhowali is missing. So GMaps wants you to go down to Kathgodam and then to Nainital to go anywhere? Adds a minimum of 35km!

Is very accurate. A gripe - does not work with PIN codes!

Found that in my Civic I have to use the friction Grip. Which is essentially a heavy bag with a soft rubber base, on which you can mount the unit. The windscreen is too far for the vacuum cup to be of much use.

Another point, You may need a 2-way adapter for the power socket if you want to use anything else, a car fridge in my case. The power adapter has a built in 1A fuse.

Heard that in some cities, esp. in Delhi you risk a broken window just to steal the GPS. So watch out. Also, a case for buying a pouch.
Have you tried Yahoo maps? In my personal opinion, Yahoo maps is MUCH better for highways than Google maps. It has amazing details on lesser travelled roads in rural areas than Google, where Google just shows that u r in the middle of nowhere! My experience was from Kalasa to Mudigere after the Kudremukh Ghats, where, google only has a very inaccurate roundabout road thru Sringeri, while Yahoo maps showed all the inner roads and an alternative from Mudigere to Belur too, since the highways was in tatters at the time.

I picked up a Garmin 205W and I was wondering if Satnav was the only way to go (I dont like the price of MMI), or if google/yahoo maps can be loaded on the Garmin.

Prajwal
Old 22nd June 2010, 22:18   #1065
BANNED

@prajwal: It may not be easy to port Google or Yahoo to Garmin. SatNav look pretty good. Remember India is still not fully digitised, so with any digital map you must retain your sang froid. As I am coming to terms with my Garmin I am slowly getting to like the SatNav stuff, at the price. It is ure teaching me a lot about thinking in terms of street names, etc.

I remember MMI Ver 1 CD - had almost zero detail.

When I looked for maps in Ladakh I drew a near total blank from Google Maps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks