Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2012, 14:58   #2461

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
No, none of these work on playbook. You can get MMI to work if you are a software developer (I.e. Purchase Android version of MMI/Sygic and package it for playbook).

Or, you can use Waze (it uses maps from Satguide).
Has anyone done this? How is the experience? The playbook 16Gb is priced close to the Reliance 3G Tab and with OS 2.0 , the performance is supposed to be at par with Samsung etc.
Old 19th March 2012, 12:15   #2462
J.Ravi

Odisha listed under other country in v7.0 maps of MMI!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
Now the maps are updated to v7.0.
Today, I was testing the new updated v7.0 maps in my MMI Lx130 navigator by searching some PoI in Assam, West Bengal and Odisha. To my horror, I could not locate Odisha in the list of states. Later, I realised that to access Odisha, I have to select 'Other country', and then, Odisha to search PoI/towns/villages/street address in that state. In the earlier version, it was not so. I don't know, how many countries I have to select to access different states in India in the future upgrades of MMI maps.
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dsc05786.jpg
The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)-dsc05787.jpg

Old 19th March 2012, 14:53   #2463
BHPian

Re: The GPS/Maps Discussion Thread (Dedicated Satnav, Smartphones, Tablets, etc)

Has any one purchased and used MMI / SatGuide maps for Windows mobile? I have windows 6.1 mobile (Samsung Omnia Pro) and was planning to buy MMI maps. MMI Device costs ~Rs. 8000/- where are maps for windows mobiles are availble for less than 2 grands.

Also any one aware of any other GPS maps compatible with Windows mobile?
Old 21st March 2012, 02:11   #2464
BHPian

Finally ordered the Garmin nuvi 1490T from newegg for $110. Updated to latest firmware and used it a few times. The bluetooth pairing works great, but somehow the phonebook appears randomly - need to dig in the details.

Newegg.com - GARMIN nüvi 1490T 5.0" GPS Navigation with Life Traffic and Bluetooth

Old 21st March 2012, 06:01   #2465
Distinguished - BHPian

@cyclops, what about the maps ? Does this one have US maps loaded ?
Old 21st March 2012, 08:09   #2466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@cyclops, what about the maps ? Does this one have US maps loaded ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
Finally ordered the Garmin nuvi 1490T from newegg for $110. Updated to latest firmware and used it a few times. The bluetooth pairing works great, but somehow the phonebook appears randomly - need to dig in the details.
Congrats cyclops.

Condor is right..Garmin and other PNDs purchased in the US will have US or North America maps loaded. Assuming you are in the US that's all well and good.

If in India you will need to buy another set of maps. Navteq map is the default. MMI is another choice.

PS - I checked Newegg. The PND comes with City Navigator NT for North America.

Cheers!

Last edited by R2D2 : 21st March 2012 at 08:11.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:10   #2467
BANNED

To get Lifetime Maps the Garmin has to be an India specific model. There are normally four updates a year.

As SatGuide are still sleeping, I am looking at two options - download the Garmin maps from the US ($99.99) and activate, or buy another Garmin Unit with Lifetime updates.

The India specific units are both 4.3"and 5.3". I saw one for sale at 14.5k on eBay (seems to have vanished now). Any idea about the pricing.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:22   #2468
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
To get Lifetime Maps the Garmin has to be an India specific model. There are normally four updates a year.
sir ji, MMI's concept of "lifetime" is one version with the PND unit,
* or a package of 2 updates in a year.
* or a package of 4 in 2 years

Does not look like they understand "lifetime" of the product, as would otherwise be.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:29   #2469
BHPian

Sygic on Android

Ayone has tried the Sygic app with India-maps from Android Market? (Not the mapmyindia version but sygic's own India map).

I tried the 7 day trial period, used it in Ooty and the maps were reasonable.

Now I have the option to buy it online (in euros).
Anyone has the paid version?

Last edited by manim : 21st March 2012 at 09:30.
Old 21st March 2012, 09:41   #2470
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
sir ji, MMI's concept of "lifetime" is one version with the PND unit,
* or a package of 2 updates in a year.
* or a package of 4 in 2 years

Does not look like they understand "lifetime" of the product, as would otherwise be.
I guess they do not expect the PND to last more than two years.

This is what the Garmin India site states

Enjoy FREE Lifetime Map Updates

With FREE lifetime map¹ updates, you always have the most up-to-date maps, POIs and navigation information available at your fingertips. Map updates are available for download up to 4 times a year with no subscription or update fees and no expiration dates.

I think the statement is pretty unequivocal.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:15   #2471
BANNED

I got the price of the R Nuvi 2465LM (LM -- lifetime maps) at Rs.15,900 from Brightpoint Delhi and they redirected me to their dealer Auto Connections. I have since done the money transfer and ordered it.
Old 21st March 2012, 14:33   #2472
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I got the price of the R Nuvi 2465LM (LM -- lifetime maps) at Rs.15,900 from Brightpoint Delhi and they redirected me to their dealer Auto Connections. I have since done the money transfer and ordered it.
Keenly awaiting a detailed review from you on this. Even i am on the lookout of GPS, it's the build quality of the MMI devices that put me off though want their maps.
Old 22nd March 2012, 16:29   #2473
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvinashV View Post
Keenly awaiting a detailed review from you on this. Even i am on the lookout of GPS, it's the build quality of the MMI devices that put me off though want their maps.
Somehow the NEFT crashed yesterday. Looks like the NEFT on the RBI playing up (http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2722714) So I repeated it today and has been successful.

He should courier it today.

Was browsing eBay yesterday. Found the entry for the model I am getting had vanished. Also, then noticed that most LM units had a footnote 'Directly Imported fro the US to India'. Now what is the status of LM there is unknown.

Remember MMI and co get cheap Chinese devices. Also, as has been pointed out the Navteq file is the largest (presumably has more info). I have had a Garmin 265WT for two years with SatGuide maps and it is excellent. Only one glitch - twice the map vanished. I took out the SD card adapter and the uSD card, pushed them in again and was Ok.

Garmin is the Merc of the GPS world. I will come back to you with my experience once I get it, which I expect to hopefully on Monday

Last edited by sgiitk : 22nd March 2012 at 16:32.
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:23   #2474
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sygic on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by manim View Post
Ayone has tried the Sygic app with India-maps from Android Market? (Not the mapmyindia version but sygic's own India map).
Who is the source for Map content for Sygic's native app?
Is it MMI?
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:06   #2475
BHPian

Re: Sygic on Android

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Who is the source for Map content for Sygic's native app?
Is it MMI?
I am not sure but I remember reading somewhere that they as the same as for the Tomtom pnd's.

The maps were good though.
They had some of the 'non-regular' roads in Ooty and they had many of the small-roads in my hometown which are even missing in Googlemaps.
Highway coverage was not as good.
The poi list was also impressive.

I am looking for some good offline maps for my planned drive to Goa through Bangalore in May.

Last edited by manim : 22nd March 2012 at 21:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks