Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2010, 21:40   #1261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
Does that mean 'fastest' MMI will take you through villages where roads dont exist ?
Possibly but it might work better for the cities as the bigger main roads generally have more traffic.
Old 27th August 2010, 23:39   #1262

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
One think you may miss is the variable scale on dedicated GPS units.
What does the "variable scale" here mean..

I have got MMI loaded on my HD2, use it with Sygic offers a pretty decent package..

Regs..
Mansoor
Old 30th August 2010, 10:06   #1263
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by atharmansoor View Post
What does the "variable scale" here mean..
Available scale means that the screen resolution is automatically changed to match the needs. I have seen about 12km (per 1/2" or so) and down to 100m depending on the needs. As you approach a turn off it steadily goes to a higher resolution. Also, built up areas have the higher resolution as compared to the highway. I never neded to touch the + or - buttons.
Old 30th August 2010, 10:58   #1264
Senior - BHPian

I have mailed MMI support and Sygic support about my internal GPS failure, but so far not a single response on how to tackle it. Are they all busy only selling stuff and not even bothering to hear about the issues ?

As suggested by few, I activated Mobile Office on the airtel pre-paid number to see if a-GPS would solve the issue, but GPS badly fails to locate and lock.
Old 30th August 2010, 11:27   #1265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have mailed MMI support and Sygic support about my internal GPS failure, but so far not a single response on how to tackle it. Are they all busy only selling stuff and not even bothering to hear about the issues ?

As suggested by few, I activated Mobile Office on the airtel pre-paid number to see if a-GPS would solve the issue, but GPS badly fails to locate and lock.

I tried calling MMI so many times ..no one bothers ...i tried emailing ..no one replies!!

But yesterday ,I sent a SMS to the MMI number wherein the customer care personnel call you for enquires .They called back in 2 hours and started explaining on how their service is the best .

I could somehow manage to get my message through when i said I am part of this forum and I would warn others on the "superb" service given by MMI .

They did promise to get back to me ..lets see
Old 30th August 2010, 11:36   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Interesting, looks like I have lost my money for the so called 'superb' service .
Whats your issue by the way ? Hope you are not asking them to dedicate an individual satellite for your personal use !
Old 30th August 2010, 12:19   #1267
Senior - BHPian

Any discounts on MMI maps for Garmin?

Any ongoing/upcoming discounts on MMI maps for Garmin? 7K is atrocious - not that I'd mind paying that amount if their maps were precise but this does not seem to be the case going by posts on this forum!

I am currently running SatNav maps on my 205W but the reliability factor is quite low. I use my GPS only for highway hauls and have found SatNav to be okay for NH's but definitely lacking for SH's and interior roads!
Old 30th August 2010, 14:27   #1268
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Any ongoing/upcoming discounts on MMI maps for Garmin? 7K is atrocious - not that I'd mind paying that amount if their maps were precise but this does not seem to be the case going by posts on this forum!

I am currently running SatNav maps on my 205W but the reliability factor is quite low. I use my GPS only for highway hauls and have found SatNav to be okay for NH's but definitely lacking for SH's and interior roads!
On what all roads, it really failed? At least Kerala/TN, it worked well for me.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:11   #1269
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
On what all roads, it really failed? At least Kerala/TN, it worked well for me.
I drove to Coorg earlier this month and it was clueless on some of the interior roads. To name a few, Bhagamandala - Talacauvery road is not even there on the map. Similarly, the Ammathi - Pollibetta - Titimati road is also not shown. The turn-off on Sampaje road (SH88) for Bhagamandala is not shown. I am off to Kerala next month and am apprehensive about using SatNav

That said, at 900 bucks it is definitely a good VFM.
Old 30th August 2010, 15:59   #1270
MX6
Senior - BHPian

@Cool_Dube: You are lucky that it doesn't show roads that exist. As long as it shows roads that don't exist you are fine.
Check with MMI user whether those roads are shown there. MMI isn't good either and so far the wrong routes that satnav maps showed me in all my travels, are shown by MMI as well when I checked with them.
Old 30th August 2010, 16:51   #1271
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

I am slightly displeased at having burnt 7grand on the MMI maps when the sat guide ones are available for just a 1000 bucks.
However I dont know how they match up against each other since Ive not seen the sat guide ones in operation.

As of now I am marking special places of interest etc on the Save to Favourites function in my MMI.

The chaps at MMI told me that the Garmin license was very expensive and hence they charge 7grand for the maps. So far I havent found any difficulties reaching MMI helpline or anything.

Will keep watching this thread though

cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post

Old 30th August 2010, 17:36   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The chaps at MMI told me that the Garmin license was very expensive and hence they charge 7grand for the maps
I would assume so. However, given this, how are SatNav able to sell at 1K? I am still not able to digest this disconnect (one being 7 times the other)...
Old 30th August 2010, 19:06   #1273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I Hope you are not asking them to dedicate an individual satellite for your personal use !

One Satellite wouldnt suffice.One needs 3 satellites at any given point to know their exact co-ordinates

Forget having a satellite for my use,if they can make the existing satellites work for me ..it would be great .
Old 30th August 2010, 20:18   #1274
Team-BHP Support

@Cool_dube,

One region where all these roads fail in the Karnataka western ghats (area around Hassna/Chikmagulur/Sringeri/Dharmasthala area etc and this is I think true for both MMI and Satguide.
Old 31st August 2010, 17:43   #1275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
@Cool_dube,

One region where all these roads fail in the Karnataka western ghats (area around Hassna/Chikmagulur/Sringeri/Dharmasthala area etc and this is I think true for both MMI and Satguide.
And these are the areas where my travels take me most of the time I am awaiting the day when Google Maps for Garmin are available!!

I read somewhere that a route plan/directions on Google Maps can be transferred to a Garmin device. Can someone please provide some insight on this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks