Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2010, 17:57   #76
Senior - BHPian

nice thread guys.

My brother is planning to get a website done for marketing some LED stuff. So he was about to pay approx 10K (at least 5k) to register a website! I advised him to hold on for a week or two so that i can do that for him for free. He basically need a simple HTML page to advertise the LED products!

Couple of very good points i picked up from this thread are

1. test the HTM pages with other browsers like Firefox,Opera
2. Not to use flash (i am not fan of flash, its too jazzy)!

Coming to the Domain and webhosting,

1.is there any new website which has cheaper/reliable domain name registering
2. Which is the current cheap/reliable hosting website

Kindly enlighten me!
Old 1st April 2010, 12:58   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recshenoy View Post
nice thread guys.

My brother is planning to get a website done for marketing some LED stuff. So he was about to pay approx 10K (at least 5k) to register a website! I advised him to hold on for a week or two so that i can do that for him for free. He basically need a simple HTML page to advertise the LED products!

Couple of very good points i picked up from this thread are

1. test the HTM pages with other browsers like Firefox,Opera
2. Not to use flash (i am not fan of flash, its too jazzy)!

Coming to the Domain and webhosting,

1.is there any new website which has cheaper/reliable domain name registering
2. Which is the current cheap/reliable hosting website

Kindly enlighten me!

Hi

my input below

1. You have multiple websites doing domain registration. I did mine with yahoo small business where they provide a feature to put up a basic intro page. The domain control panel is easy to use. I have some names registered with godaddy also and so far have no reason to complain

2. I have just bought a hosting from 'godaddy' for an year and keeping my fingers crossed. As far as cheap+reliable hosting goes, these 2 words are mutually exclusive however 'Mediatemple' seems to be very reliable while godaddy etc. are cheap.

Hope this helps
Old 1st April 2010, 13:39   #78
BHPian

Actually you can register a domain name for about Rs.450 to 1600/- depending upon the top level domain you select. Cost of registration is not much. As far as possible, register the domain yourself. If you ask the developers or the designing agency to do the registration and hosting, it is always possible that you may not be in a position to wrestle the control back to you when you need it.

You can register the domain with any registrar and you can shift the registrar later if you are not happy with them. Hosting can be changed too if you are not happy. It is essential that you retain the "handle" for the registration.

When it comes to hosting, look for someone who gives you at least 99% uptime and a good server with ample resources. A non accessible website is like a closed shop. People will take their business elsewhere. Even if you opt for a shared hosting (it is the cheapest) get your own dedicated IP Address. Many hosts will put up your site along with hundreds of others. No harm in that. But if one of your co-tenants has been banned for spam, you could be hurt too. Owning your IP address insures you from being in the wrong neighborhood at the wrong time. It doesn't cost a bomb. A dedicated IP address costs about US $ 2 per month.

Don't scrounge on hosting. A good host goes a long way in promoting your online presence. If you are looking for International visitors, get a US based server. There is no such thing as unlimited bandwidth or unlimited disk space when it comes to hosting. It is better to know your limits upfront than be throttled later on.
Be prepared to pay around US $ 100/- per year for a decent Linux Server hosting for about 300 MB disk space and about 5 GB bandwidth. If someone offers way below this typical figure, it is too good to be true. Servers with good specification, backup facility, multiple redundant connectivity and efficient service cost money. You pay what you get.
Old 2nd April 2010, 19:55   #79
BHPian

Hi, The market price ranges from Rs.20000 to Rs.25000 at Coimbatore depending on the programming effort needed. And, you could also opt for a PHP based customized CMS to make your life easier. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.

Thanks,
Karthik.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Just the right thread at the right time.

Well, I already have a website www.graceopticals.com this was designed by a free lance designer. He works at O&M. Now I am planning to get a second website for another business. To be honest the previous guy charged me a bomb and I have my second thoughts on going back to him.

I am not professional at things like this. This is what I need.
1. 10 pages
2. Fast, no download time.
3. CMS

Ideally whats a good price to pay for designing and hosting? What are the other things to look out for?

Thanks in advance.
Old 9th May 2010, 16:32   #80
BHPian

Ok, i've bought a package to set up a new website from speedhost.in, now i have a dilema of what cms to use and to add to that i am pretty much a novice in this field, the options are as follows,
1-Joomla- I had tried it a few days back, gave up after having trouble with my company logo
2-Drupal-Just spent 2days installing, updating and configuring, only for mysite to be hacked last night, now i'm back to a clean install.
3-Mambo?
4-Zikula?

Anyone can advise which is best for a novice to set up?

Thanks,

Stefam
Old 9th May 2010, 16:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanm View Post
Ok, i've bought a package to set up a new website from speedhost.in, now i have a dilema of what cms to use and to add to that i am pretty much a novice in this field, the options are as follows,
1-Joomla- I had tried it a few days back, gave up after having trouble with my company logo
2-Drupal-Just spent 2days installing, updating and configuring, only for mysite to be hacked last night, now i'm back to a clean install.
3-Mambo?
4-Zikula?

Anyone can advise which is best for a novice to set up?

Thanks,

Stefam
Well, I've used Joomla quite a lot for a project I was working on and found it adequate for the purpose - it was quite easy to use/straightforward. However I found it to be not very customizable. It also has a decent amount of apps that you can directly implement onto your site.

From what I've heard, generally Drupal is supposed to be more customizable which I guess also translates to a bit harder to use.

I suggest you give Joomla a try.

What kind of trouble do you mean with your logo?
Old 9th May 2010, 16:51   #82
BHPian

I had uploaded it to the header section inside a background to the correct size, the logo had repeated itself 3 times within the header, spent to long trying to find a solution, so gave up, then i tried drupal upgrading and installing is a pain, then for my site to be hacked, was fed up so trying to find out about mambo and zikula, i need ease of use, don't need all this blogging stuff, just a simple nice looking site to show case my company, the cms should be simple to use for begginers.

Thanks,

Stefan
Old 10th May 2010, 13:12   #83
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Stefan,

From what I hear, Jhoomla is quick out of the box to set up (and easier too). Drupal has a lot more functionality, but can get complex. I take it your technical skills are as basic as mine . Since you can't even get a logo to work, outsource and hire an expert.
Old 10th May 2010, 13:29   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Stefan,

From what I hear, Jhoomla is quick out of the box to set up (and easier too). Drupal has a lot more functionality, but can get complex. I take it your technical skills are as basic as mine . Since you can't even get a logo to work, outsource and hire an expert.
Honestly i didn't like the user interface of joomla, i managed to find a solution to the logo, after i deleted joomla, i'm now trying Zikula, the user interface is fairly straight forward, just finishing the updates of the product, then i can give it a try, plus with most of these softwares the templates seem to be geared more to blog sites, the zikula templates seem more simple and more in tune with my requirement. Will post an update in the evening whether i made any progress or not.

Cheers
Old 11th May 2010, 12:11   #85
Team-BHP Support

This thread might have some info for you : Which CMS is most customizable and easiest for a beginner? : web_design

cya
R
Old 11th May 2010, 15:06   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
This thread might have some info for you : Which CMS is most customizable and easiest for a beginner? : web_design

cya
R
Yep just read through that, not a massive amount of help, now i'm looking at dreamweaver, might be easier for me as the interface has a lot in common with photoshop, which i have been using for a long time.

Here is an interesting link to a comparison of cms programs

How To Choose The Right CMS | Webdesigner Depot

As the writer tells,

Never, ever, ever allow an IT guy to choose your Content Management System

I will probably end up trying them all by the end of the week
Old 11th May 2010, 15:09   #87
Senior - BHPian

^^ All the best. I have pretty much given up as I am just not being able to find the time and decided to hire someone to get this done.
Old 11th May 2010, 23:27   #88
BHPian

I have got Concrete 5 installed, the user interface looks very good, will start my work tomorrow, so far this is the best of the bunch i have tried and even the portfolio of websites made with this are some of the best looking and user friendly sites i have seen. Will report back after some trials.

Cheers,

Stefan
Old 11th May 2010, 23:47   #89
Senior - BHPian

using Joomla you can make very good aesthetically appealing websites rather easily compared to other CMS.
There are many Websites which provide excellent joomla add on templates for a nominal price plus module configurations are pretty easy on joomla.
Old 13th May 2010, 02:53   #90
BHPian

Hey guys check out my site and let me know what all you think about it. its Mixwel Concrete Equipments

Most Viewed