Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 14:33   #121
BHPian

Just check out DigitalPoint. They might be of some help for you, the forum is very active.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:59   #122
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Don't get me wrong with what I have typed in bold. You guys are fabulous and have so much valuable inputs and I am closely following this thread for a break through.
As Rehaan posted, you are completely on the wrong track. Your core strength lies on the business side; that's exactly where you should focus. Hire someone for the design & coding. Don't reinvent the wheel. Also, starting a website is one thing, maintaining it entirely another. When your e-commerce site grows, do you want to focus on getting new customers / keeping your existing customers happy, or sorting out technical issues? All of us only get 8 - 10 hours a day to work. Prioritise.

Web design & coding is cheap. For a new e-commerce website, visit Template Monster, choose a ready design, customise it a bit (if you like) and have someone else do the technical bit in taking her live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
well, i dont know how to do the backup stuff, but i guess siteground is taking care of all that.
Golden rule with hosting : Maintain your OWN backups. Check your user agreement, no host makes guarantees with inbuilt backup packages. Since your site is still in the nascent stage, the data should be limited. Maintain a backup on your local computer (via FTP) or avail of backup service providers like BQBackup. You only realise the value of backups when all your data is lost.
Old 15th September 2010, 12:50   #123
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Just check out DigitalPoint. They might be of some help for you, the forum is very active.
Thanks for the link prateem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
As Rehaan posted, you are completely on the wrong track. Your core strength lies on the business side; that's exactly where you should focus. Hire someone for the design & coding. Don't reinvent the wheel. Also, starting a website is one thing, maintaining it entirely another. When your e-commerce site grows, do you want to focus on getting new customers / keeping your existing customers happy, or sorting out technical issues? All of us only get 8 - 10 hours a day to work. Prioritise.
Yes. I have slowed down and trying to understand things.
Going through a lot of websites, interacting with a lot of people. The issue with many a web designer is that their commitement ceases the minute they finish the site.
As of now, nothings going right. I might just take a gamble and go ahead with someone I think right.
Old 27th September 2010, 13:46   #124
Team-BHP Support

Some quick and easy prototyping / wireframing tools :

Balsamiq Studios, makers of plugins for Web Office applications | Balsamiq

https://gomockingbird.com/

Axure - Wireframes, Prototypes, Specifications

cya
R
Old 27th September 2010, 22:22   #125
BHPian

A complete website solution is offered by Connect.
Connect - Web Services

Domain name+web hosting+website builder for only 378rs per month
+ you also get to configure unlimited emaail id's on that domain name...
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:39   #126
BHPian

Guys, planning to buy some basic plan for website hosting,

found HostBig that is offering unlimited space and bandwidth for Rs.348 per year (yea you read it right!),

Any feedback or a way to check if this is a genuine provider,
I tried chatting to someone in sales at 1 am and guess what, got someone to respond in no time, excellent pre-sales experience, any comments of suggestions.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:28   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post

found HostBig that is offering unlimited space and bandwidth for Rs.348 per year (yea you read it right!),
I checked their website, the annual price for extreme package is ~4K.

I have hosted my site RonakG.in | Live life to the fullest… on Web Hosting India - SpeedHost™ since 2 months now. I haven't faced any issues so far. The service has been excellent and haven't faced any downtime so far. I'll highly recommend SpeedHost for beginners.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:42   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post

Any feedback or a way to check if this is a genuine provider,
I tried chatting to someone in sales at 1 am and guess what, got someone to respond in no time, excellent pre-sales experience, any comments of suggestions.
I would be suspicious about such packages. Only way to make these packages possible is to load infrastructure (server + network) to nearly 100%.

Its good for personal sites, since you know that even in worst case, your site would be down (you wont see a huge bandwidth bill). But if site is important, look elsewhere.
Old 4th October 2010, 09:45   #129
Senior - BHPian

Guys, how do I change a swf file to jpeg?
Old 4th October 2010, 12:36   #130
NFS
BHPian

@beejay: An SWF will have some animation or a movie like feel. JPEG cannot carry such animations. So if you are happy to change it over to JPEG with the above statement, just take a screenshot of the animation, use photoshop or GimpShop (Gimp for Windows-FREE) to crop and save the image as JPEG. Done. That is easy.

NFS
Old 4th October 2010, 12:55   #131
Senior - BHPian

Thanks NFS. I do not have PS on my system.
I have a simple logo that I have created using flash. Very simple. Black background and white text. Nil animation. I used flash as I did not have PS.
Now I need to convert this swf to jpeg. I am assuming I should download gimp and convert swf to jpeg.
Old 4th October 2010, 13:55   #132
NFS
BHPian

Oh ok no animation!

Did you try to see if there is a export to JPEG available? should have, or at least should have some export option (other than export to swf). Which version of flash do you use?

Gimpshop is good for anyone who does not want to buy Photoshop license.

NFS
Old 4th October 2010, 14:35   #133
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
I have a simple logo that I have created using flash.
In Flash CS3 :

File > Export > Export Image > (choose jpg from dropdown).

When saving, it will give you options. I suggest you choose a fairly high resolution (width and height) and 90% quality.
Dpi doesn't matter unless you're planning to print.

cya
R

PS - Also suggest you backup / save as an AI or some other vector format for safe-keeping.
Old 4th October 2010, 16:10   #134
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post

Did you try to see if there is a export to JPEG available? should have, or at least should have some export option (other than export to swf). Which version of flash do you use?
I use CS4. I exported the image and saved as Jpeg. Thanks again NFS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
In Flash CS3 :

File > Export > Export Image > (choose jpg from dropdown).

When saving, it will give you options. I suggest you choose a fairly high resolution (width and height) and 90% quality.
Dpi doesn't matter unless you're planning to print.

cya
R

PS - Also suggest you backup / save as an AI or some other vector format for safe-keeping.
Rehaan, thanks I have did just that and managed to upload the pic.
Old 4th October 2010, 17:46   #135
NFS
BHPian

Cool. I did not search the thread for the website name, I choose to ask you. What is your website name, so that we may look at it and give suggestions.

@Rehan: Thanks for the crisp explanation.

NFS

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks