Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2010, 10:36   #106
BHPian

Hey guys,

I am an embedded systems engineer (or i shall say a 'C' Coder) & My dad is a journalist. He also runs a small weekly mag, for which he wanted a website to be built (note that it should be updated every week, when the print edition changes).

I thought of helping him with this, because the quotes from free lance web developers & small companies were exorbitant to say the least! And even after paying up about 35K, they are not ready to take up the job of updating it weekly on every friday/saturday when print edition changes.

So I took up the challenge & ended up doing something like this , making use of prosepoint (a drupal based CMS tool for news site). Obviously I was not much impressed myself and wanted to change the look & feel of it. My dad also was finding it tough to update the site weekly & ignored it totally.

Now, i took up Joomla & a few templates to bring it up differently with a few modules added in. Have a look at Welcome to the eCyberhood , the new site is still not with data, I have just thought to use a template and customized quite a few things in that to suit our requirements. I will be loading data slowly.

Meanwhile, i would like to get feedback on the current version of the site & any changes that you may suggest to make it better. I personally feel the site loads slow, I hosted it on awardspace.com and the package is up for expiry in 15 days. What do you guys suggest for an upgrade? Should i also change the hosting service as well ?? Which is the best that you guys can suggest for my application ?

Plzz help with your suggestions & feedback. I am still learning the art of web development but i kind of find it interesting to do (saves a lot of money as well )

Last edited by kri$hna : 20th July 2010 at 10:55.
Old 23rd July 2010, 11:20   #107
BANNED

Don't host it with awardspace, it really sucks. Use some other better options like Hostgator.
Old 23rd July 2010, 20:58   #108
BHPian

what is the total bandwidth usage your site does.
Hostgator is ok, but there are few things to give you hidden surprises there.
50k i node limits, else they stop taking backups.
back restore is charged per instance, make sure you backup atleast weekly to your local computer.
Hostgator limits cpu usage and may suspend you if you cross the threshold frequently.
Old 6th September 2010, 18:53   #109
BHPian

Things to do after establishing a website?

I need to know the procedure, steps to do after you establish a website to protect or limit any legal liabilities, for e.g. how to copyright the website, define privacy/terms and conditions or any other important information.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:13   #110
Senior - BHPian

I get so annoyed when I see this thread.

I am trying to kick start an ecom site and I can never get it happening. I visited the best ecom store for the product that I intend to sell, have a clear cut business plan and am also a partner with all major suppliers, have alongside machinery and manpower that I can use for processing the finished product and am clear on all fronts. Except for the fact that all this software thing and site management go above my head. I enrolled for a web designing course and I am worse now.
Its not simple guys, I realise one has to be made for it conisidering there is a new thing happening every other day.

Don't get me wrong with what I have typed in bold. You guys are fabulous and have so much valuable inputs and I am closely following this thread for a break through.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:34   #111
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Don't host it with awardspace, it really sucks. Use some other better options like Hostgator.
hey thanks for the suggestion. When the renewal time was up, i have moved on to siteground. They have given me 1yr hosting for 25$, but only one domain & unlimited subdomains, unlimited database etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
what is the total bandwidth usage your site does.
Hostgator is ok, but there are few things to give you hidden surprises there.
50k i node limits, else they stop taking backups.
back restore is charged per instance, make sure you backup atleast weekly to your local computer.
Hostgator limits cpu usage and may suspend you if you cross the threshold frequently.
well, i dont know how to do the backup stuff, but i guess siteground is taking care of all that. You can assume there is absolutely no activity going on rite now in the site, because it is not yet fully developed.

Planning to approach a free lance developer to build & finish this site for us. DO you guys have any suggestions? How much can it cost ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post

I am trying to kick start an ecom site and I can never get it happening. I visited the best ecom store for the product that I intend to sell, have a clear cut business plan and am also a partner with all major suppliers, have alongside machinery and manpower that I can use for processing the finished product and am clear on all fronts. Except for the fact that all this software thing and site management go above my head. I enrolled for a web designing course and I am worse now.
Its not simple guys, I realise one has to be made for it conisidering there is a new thing happening every other day.

Don't get me wrong with what I have typed in bold. You guys are fabulous and have so much valuable inputs and I am closely following this thread for a break through.
Try open source content management systems built to handle e-com sites, something like Magento or PrestaShop which are built to make your life easy with e-com.
Old 6th September 2010, 19:48   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
I need to know the procedure, steps to do after you establish a website to protect or limit any legal liabilities, for e.g. how to copyright the website, define privacy/terms and conditions or any other important information.

Any help would be appreciated.
Try this - India - Creative Commons
Old 7th September 2010, 10:20   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hey, let me know if you need any help in developing the website. I work as a PM in an IT firm
Old 7th September 2010, 10:39   #114
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post

Try open source content management systems built to handle e-com sites, something like Magento or PrestaShop which are built to make your life easy with e-com.
This is exactly the problem. All these things go above my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Hey, let me know if you need any help in developing the website. I work as a PM in an IT firm
That's very kind of you. I am looking for a right partner to get things started.

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2010 at 13:41. Reason: Editing post. Please avoid comments that could be seen as solicitation. Thanks.
Old 7th September 2010, 13:40   #115
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
....Except for the fact that all this software thing and site management go above my head. I enrolled for a web designing course and I am worse now..
If you want to be a world champion F1 driver you don't try and build the car yourself do you?
You just need to know which team you want to be on, what the basic parts of your car do and how to communicate with your team of mechanics to get the best result from the car.

Translated, DONT try to code the site yourself. DONT get involved with the technical stuff. Get a basic overview (pros/cons) of each technical decision and make a choice only when your intervention is required. Leave the rest to the people whos job it is. Tell them what the final product you want is and let them get there.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th September 2010 at 13:41.
Old 7th September 2010, 16:07   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
If you want to be a world champion F1 driver you don't try and build the car yourself do you?
You just need to know which team you want to be on, what the basic parts of your car do and how to communicate with your team of mechanics to get the best result from the car.

Translated, DONT try to code the site yourself. DONT get involved with the technical stuff. Get a basic overview (pros/cons) of each technical decision and make a choice only when your intervention is required. Leave the rest to the people whos job it is. Tell them what the final product you want is and let them get there.

cya
R
The other way round. The companies that hire the champion F1 driver never leave anything to chance and that's the reason why they get paid exorbitantly.

There are a dime a dozen companies and free lancers who can do a good job and I have received varied quotes from them. This is their business and they are good at it.
Before that let me tell you something that happened, there was a company that I was quite impressed with and the guy was fantastic. When everything was going to fall in place, he left and joined another company.Get the drift.

A normal website would not require as much effort in comparison to an ecom site. It needs to updated regularly, in some cases daily.
I do not intend to just scratch the surface and be at someones mercy to get minor things done. I am an absolute newbie and am pretty confident that this software thingy is not for me.
However, I am absolutely confident on all other fronts and I think its prudent to partner with someone who is good at what he does and has his skin in along with me. Nevertheless, I would be more at risk, which I am game for.
Like you have rightly said, this is happening only by team effort.

Fingers crossed, looking for the right person who is willing to join me.

@naveen raju, thanks for the PM. Kindly consider this post as a reply.
Old 8th September 2010, 15:58   #117
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : A quick reminder: Kindly limit the scope of this thread to asking for advice and recommendations and refrain from solicitations and offerings.
Old 9th September 2010, 00:32   #118
NFS
BHPian

Mods: Thanks for clarifying why my Post was deleted. I was/am offering nothing more than help. And this decision was taken by ensuring that I had enough time to spare from my work schedule to fix a problem of our fellow BHPian. Also this process will require actual purchases like the domain name, and hosting space by whoever is building the website. So my mention about actuals. No money is to be paid to me for my services, nor you need to buy any of the above items from a place that I recommend.

Like Aamir Khan in 3 Idiots, "This Setup Service or assistance or training Offered by me is FREE, FREE, FREE" (sharing a little nice lighter moment, No teasing meant here)

I appreciate your efforts in maintaining the forum, and acknowledge my sorry for the Post being too short and misleading. Thanks for deleting it and alerting me.

NFS
Old 9th September 2010, 08:55   #119
Senior - BHPian

Guys, thanks for all your wonderful replies.

Are there any forums or websites where I can interact with like minded people? I want to know more before I start. I am pretty sure this would at least give me an understanding of where I am heading.

Last edited by bblost : 9th September 2010 at 11:38. Reason: Edit details in PM. Thanks.
Old 14th September 2010, 09:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Finally managed to read a lot an a website designerstalk.

Are there any similar desi versions here?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks