Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2011, 04:12   #1531
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Well, the dealer wasn't really interested in selling the Daikin AC and I literally forced him to place the order. So, I am pretty sure that he is not going to take up the responsibility.
Just a heads up. With Daikin, do ensure that the dealer you buy the machine from is a direct dealer. Daikin is known to have refused warranty claims when the dealers were 'via' dealers and also if the machines were installed by technicians from such dealerships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I am not sure if this helps you guys but some of the new ac's come with blue fins technology or something. It is said to wear better against saline climate.
My 10 year old Videocon (essentially an under license copy of one of the models of then Matsushita now Panasonic machines) came with Blue fins with the 'Hydrophilic' coating. It is a trend that comes and goes. At that time Carrier too used to offer the same but in Golden colour. Hitachi too had it on offer sometime ago but there was no distinctive colour just a mention in the sales brochure, guess it is making a comeback.
Old 16th March 2011, 04:34   #1532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Just a heads up. With Daikin, do ensure that the dealer you buy the machine from is a direct dealer. Daikin is known to have refused warranty claims when the dealers were 'via' dealers and also if the machines were installed by technicians from such dealerships.
The dealer from whom I purchased the machine must be a direct dealer as this dealership is listed in daikinindia.com website!

Dealership guys did the installation. So, I hope it is okay in that way too!
Old 16th March 2011, 10:33   #1533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Sirji, how are you getting so much life on your a/cs? In the past 12 years I have changed 7 A/Cs in 3 bedrooms. Quite frustrated about this.
I have had Carrier, LG, Hitachi, O'G and Samsung. All of them gave me problems within 4 years and needed gas filling or replacement. My OG Gas leaked in 4 years and after refilling and tinkering, it finally died at 5 years and 2 months. Guys are asking 8K for repair and recommending to get a new one.
I am now having to get a new A/C for moms room which has a window Samsung 1.5T. It is forming Ice on the grill in front and cooling has become less. So considering to get rid of this as well.
Some areas have corrosive gasses, which reduce the life of an AC. Some areas of Mayur Vihar in Delhi report this. The only remedy is to coat all the refrigerant pipes and joints with a thick layer of rubberised paint to prevent corrosion.

You AC seems to be cooling perfectly. If ice forms then it is case of low air flow, either due to a clogged air filter (most common) or blower fan failing. This is most common during humid weather in Delhi, which is normal in the coast. Check the air filter and clean it if clogged. Otherwise replace the fan motor.
Old 16th March 2011, 11:48   #1534
BANNED

@diyguy: Units with copper coils last much longer. Check whether your father-in-law has these.
Old 16th March 2011, 23:38   #1535
BHPian

Hi guys i am planning to buy split ac 1.5 tonnes can u please suggest between Daikin FT50F 1.5 tonnes 5 star and General Asg 18A and Mitsubishi. please help guys. which brand is more durable and consumes less electricity.

Last edited by morten : 16th March 2011 at 23:41.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:07   #1536
Senior - BHPian

For Mitsubishi MHI units are really superb but marred by Service.
Mitsubishi Electric are average just like Daikin.

Ogeneral units are extremely under rated. Our 1.5 tonne machine turned out to be running at 2125W. Hence they are priced higher too.

While all are great, You can go for Mitsu electric. Also check out Toshiba machines.
Old 17th March 2011, 00:46   #1537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I am now having to get a new A/C for moms room which has a window Samsung 1.5T. It is forming Ice on the grill in front and cooling has become less. So considering to get rid of this as well.
Ice formation on the front condenser(mostly around the bends) is also a sign of the running capacitor's failure or even a slow gas leakage, especially from the capillaries.

Instead of Voltas try the Whirlpool. Great machines at decent prices.

@morten
Get the Daikin, they consume the least power compared to other Japs of similar rating. Good after sales service too and as durable if not more as any of the others.

@ece2k2
Hmm I wonder why he was reluctant to make the sale.
Old 17th March 2011, 10:43   #1538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
For Mitsubishi MHI units are really superb but marred by Service.
Mitsubishi Electric are average just like Daikin.

Ogeneral units are extremely under rated. Our 1.5 tonne machine turned out to be running at 2125W. Hence they are priced higher too.

While all are great, You can go for Mitsu electric. Also check out Toshiba machines.
OG 1.5 Tonner is rated at 1840 watts.How did you check ??
I am curious as my OG 2 tonner is rated at 2400 watts.
I am a bit confused, High wattage means less efficient meaning low purchase price.Right?? Plz correct me if I am wrong.
Old 17th March 2011, 12:22   #1539
Senior - BHPian

I am talking about the window. The unit has a sticker on it showing BTU/hr and input watts.

Ogeneral under rates their ac's so you would find it more efficient than other 1.5 tonne machines. At the same time they also charge slightly higher which is obvious.

This does not mean their efficiency is low by any means. Some units have a COP of 3.21 which is on par with other machines.
Old 17th March 2011, 13:47   #1540
Senior - BHPian

The figures provided by General or any other manufacturer for that matter are derived from tests conducted under tightly controlled lab conditions. Further some give out temperatures attained and power consumed using a dry bulb and others using a wet bulb thermometer, this too adds to the ambiguity.

All said and done, the General machines do consume more power under normal circumstances simply because for a given tonnage their compressors are always over sized. For instance for a standard 1.5 ton machine compressors from almost all of the manufacturers are rated for 18000Btu whereas for the General the same is rated at 19800 Btu/Hr.
Old 17th March 2011, 22:10   #1541
BHPian

Hello Friends,

Need your advise in buying an AC for my bedroom.

Its a 11x14=154 room with most real estate taken away by Wardrobe, bed and a Computer Table, but has decent open space too. Has an attached bathroom too which I have not included in the dimensions. The height of the room is around 8 to 8.5 feet. The Wall facing the east has a sliding window which occupies good amount of the wall and experiences direct sunlight for atleast 2 hours in the morning. The location in and around the building is not intruded by road pollution and its quite inside with a small garden to the north east. So overall the atmosphere is good.

My budget is 25k at this point. Dont really wish to increase but could consider to stretch to 30k inclusive of Installation and stabilizer.

Most usage would be during the day sleep(i.e for 8 hours) during summer time mostly. I am a nocturnal human

I did go through the thread but have not been able to make a decision on the following

1. What tonnage AC would I require ?
2. Can I get an inverter AC at this budget or do I even require one ?
3. What make and model should I go for ?(Quality and A.S.S being the highest concern). Been thinking of Panasonic but not sure.
3. Can I get one with R410A ?
4. I do consider power consumption as an important factor because we have a three phase meter(Power Connection) which is charged more in monthy bills compared to single phase connection. And does it really matter with the kind of usage I would have versus the investment amount spend in buying the AC ?
5. What would be the monthly dent I should expect in my pocket with the power bills ?

I am buying one for the first time and above questions have comeup.

Any advise would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by tush : 17th March 2011 at 22:25.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:33   #1542
BHPian

Guys i went with Daikin FT50GV1G6 5star. Last year i had installed FTE50 rated at 3 stars and its performance was quite good. I wanted to go for general this year but their Asg18 is 1.6 tonnes and acoording to my survey it consumes more electricity.
Also dont go for daikin fte50 because they have changed the specs this year compared to the last years model.
Old 17th March 2011, 23:35   #1543
Senior - BHPian

You would need a 1.2-1.5 tonne.

You cannot get an inverter in this range (Do check if Carrier inverter are in your range. I have heard they have just launched.)

Again R410 not in your range either.

In your budget look at Carrier, Voltas, Onida and Videocon 1.5 tonne units. I was recently offered a Videocon 1.5 5star unit for 28K including installation.

These are not the best but the reputed ones like Daikin, Toshiba, MHI and ME 1 tonne itself are close to 30K.

Hitachi Logicool 1.2 (corporate range) is around 25K. See if you can get one.
Hitachi also has 5 star window ac's also for 30K such as SummerQC
Old 18th March 2011, 03:05   #1544
Senior - BHPian

@tush,

Try and get Whirlpool. Not only will you get one in your price range but the heart of the matter i.e the compressor is invariably from Sanyo or Panasonic.

Very interesting to note the roof height of your room, you must be able to change bulbs etc simply while standing on the floor BTW standard doors frames are at least 7' in height.
Old 18th March 2011, 10:39   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
@tush,

Try and get Whirlpool. Not only will you get one in your price range but the heart of the matter i.e the compressor is invariably from Sanyo or Panasonic.

Very interesting to note the roof height of your room, you must be able to change bulbs etc simply while standing on the floor BTW standard doors frames are at least 7' in height.
In Delhi, LG are selling at a quite reasonable price and their service is quite good. This one is a 5 star rating but slightly costly LG LWA5AR5A Window AC - 4 Star Rating, Auto Restart, Gold Fin Condenser, Anti Bacteria Filter, Energy Saver. - LG Electronics IN. Do go through the list to find one best suited to your requirements.

Normal floor to floor height is 10 feet. Taking out the floor and roof slabs you should have at least 9 feet internal height. As noted the standard doors are 6.5 - 7 feet and there is normally 2 feet+ wall left.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks