Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2015, 19:55   #3901
Senior - BHPian

re: The home / office air-conditioner thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Are spares for General ACs a problem to source?
They should not be, as I heard they are being manufactured in the Panasonic unit at Pondicherry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Keep a window half open or close the door leaving a few inches open. This will automatically ensure that you will get fresh air into the room.

I have been doing the same since past 6 years with good results. Room does not feel stuffy.
Why not run the AC in ventilate mode? I see a small lever in my window unit which when pushed, opens a small slot in the blower compartment and allows some fresh air to be sucked in and blown out along with the chilled air.
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:20   #3902
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post

I am looking for a split 1.5 tons minimum 3 stars within Rs.32k . Am confused between the below. Kindly suggest.

4. Hitachi- 1.5T, 3star available for about 32k (After visa cashback)
http://www.flipkart.com/hitachi-rau3...NDVFJMZHSRZHVK

5. Voltas -1.5T, 3star available for roughly the same price as LG above.
http://www.flipkart.com/voltas-183cy...c-1379877d2546
My vote is for Hitachi and Voltas. Do check out carrier as well.

I would not go with LG. I am sure there are lot of happy customers and sad customers. For Hitachi generally more happy.

I personally am using Onida and happy with it. Using it since 2010. Also have used Napolean AC from 1998 to 2010, in terms of cooling this one was unbeatable.

If I were to buy a AC then budget permitting would look at O'General or Hitachi.
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:50   #3903
Senior - BHPian

People are pretty much aware but it is as much a matter of whether the consumer is willing to pay for the additional feature as also whether it is really required. No room is 100% air tight and the door openings and closing allow for enough air exchange. Of course there are cases where this does not happen and one can smell the stale air as soon as one walks in.

BTW all ceiling mounted splits have a ventilation option but these are not popular. Daikin has now introduced the vent and recirculation feature in their latest high wall Ururu Sarara range priced at 1.2 lakh for a 1 ton unit. Worth buying? Not in my books.

As a rule we open the windows of all of our rooms as soon as the air cons are turned off in the morning and they remain open till tbe machines are turned back on in the afternoon or night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_ramesh99 View Post
I do not think a lot of people are aware of this. I am now thinking about the quality of air inside the shops that are cooled by split A/Cs .
Old 3rd April 2015, 20:56   #3904
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post

Why not run the AC in ventilate mode? I see a small lever in my window unit which when pushed, opens a small slot in the blower compartment and allows some fresh air to be sucked in and blown out along with the chilled air.
My LG does not have this ventilation lever. Hence this method
Old 3rd April 2015, 23:41   #3905
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
They should not be, as I heard they are being manufactured in the Panasonic unit at Pondicherry.
Thanks for reminding me about this! With all service guys telling me about how the machine is imported,Malaysia made etc. i'd forgotten that its assembled locally.
I find it hard to believe that a model as little as 3 years old won't have spare part support.I suspect the service dealer trying to pull a quick one on me. I've written to General about this and they got back in an hour,raised a complaint too. Let me see how things progress in the next few days.
Old 4th April 2015, 18:24   #3906
BHPian

Any feedback about Panasonic for their 3 star machines? Usage in one of the rooms is less, and hence a 3 star instead of an inverter. 30k odd with free installation and included kit is not bad ain't it?

For the master bedroom I got a quote of 35k for sharp 1 ton with aluminum condenser and 40k for copper condenser. This is without kit and installation
Old 5th April 2015, 00:08   #3907
BHPian

After much deliberation I have narrowed down my list to Carrier and Daikin 1.5T 5 star split AC. My budget is max 38K.Which of the two would you recommend?

I had initially considered LG and Samsung as well but thought they don't belong in the same league. Was also tempted a bit by low prices of Indian brands like Videocon,Blue Star,Voltas, Godrej but have question marks on their long term reliability.Even Amazon is currently offering some great deals on Kenstar ACs.

Has anyone tried the new Whirlpool 3D AC? I know they are good when it comes to refrigerators but how are they in AC?
Old 5th April 2015, 10:16   #3908
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighwayman View Post
After much deliberation I have narrowed down my list to Carrier and Daikin 1.5T 5 star split AC. My budget is max 38K.Which of the two would you recommend?
I will go for Daikin any day. Carrier had lost it a few years ago, and are now trying to make a comeback. The important things are how good is their network now, and whether they have a steady source of components. Often vendors source from some OEM to just case-out the market, and may not stick with them long term.
Old 5th April 2015, 10:34   #3909
BHPian

My Daikin AC just started icing up last night. This was the one that was completely dismantled two weeks back and water washed to improve cooling. Any idea if this can be fixed easily and what causes ice to form? Is it an issue with the oil in the evaporator coils? The ice was dripping all through the night and the blower also was spraying it all over...
Old 5th April 2015, 10:37   #3910
BANNED

@diyguy; See if you are low on refrigerant. Very likely there is some leak left in the system.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:09   #3911
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@diyguy; See if you are low on refrigerant. Very likely there is some leak left in the system.

Ok thank you sir, the engineer will be visiting in a day or two. Have asked for the same guy to be sent over.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:27   #3912
Distinguished - BHPian

Icing in indoor unit:

Icing overall tends to indicate low airflow: clean the filters!

Localised icing is more likely to mean a gas leak.
Old 5th April 2015, 13:47   #3913
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Icing overall tends to indicate low airflow: clean the filters!

The unit was thoroughly washed three weeks back. It's nice and clean. Wondering if the technician has caused a gas leak or some other damage. He will be visiting in a day or two.

What is localized icing mean? I saw a line of Ice all across the width of the indoor unit and it was about 1cm in width. Am now trying to see if it happens in the day time so I can take some pics. My daughter woke me up at 3am last night as she could hear chunks falling from the AC. This has not happened to us before. I had seen this in our hitachi window but that did little harm in terms of falling ice etc as it was some distance from the bed, while this is right overhead.
Old 5th April 2015, 14:37   #3914
BHPian

Got the pics of the ice, it's about 3/4 across the AC at this point in about two hours of running
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428224748.157741.jpg
The home / office air-conditioner thread-imageuploadedbyteambhp1428224798.859903.jpg
Old 5th April 2015, 16:01   #3915
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, that's a lot of ice. Wash and dry those filters and see if it makes any difference.

Largely academic, though, as you have an engineer on the way soon.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks