Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2009, 21:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Suggestions for printers

I am looking to buy a very basic printer. Main requirement is to print text documents in black ink.

Looking for a printer having low cartirage price, low price per page etc.

Searching on web i found these two within my budget (Rs. 2k):

HP Deskjet D1560 Printer

and

HP Deskjet D2560

Which one of these two should i go for? Any other options?
Old 11th July 2009, 22:50   #2
Senior - BHPian

I would say look at laser printer rather then Inkjets. Not only you'll be benefited with low cost printouts but will also enjoy longevity.

Go for Samsung one ML-1640, currently on a selling spree and offering two year warranty for the same.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:01   #3
BHPian

I suggest you look at laser printers if text documents are your only requirement. You may need to increase your budget to around 5K but it will definitely pay off in the long term.

I recommend the Canon LBP-2900. It is one of the few printers in the market without a cartridge chip. This makes refilling a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 11th July 2009, 23:47   #4
Senior - BHPian

Again I am recommending a Laser printer against Inkjet. The best bet is from HP. We are using it since last more than three years had a lot of text documents printed but still no issues with it.

The model I will recommend is HP LaserJet P1007 costing around Rs. 7K.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:03   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Avoid inkjets & deskjets. The quality is as bad as the maintenance & recurring costs on ink cartridges. The cartridges dont last, and need to be used every day. Inkjets / Deskjets being cheap to own & use is not really true.

Pick up a low end laser printer, something like the HP LJ1020+. Other options are there from Samsung etc, but this one is a safe bet.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:04   #6
BHPian

HP 1007 has a cartridge chip, unlike its predecessor the 1018. This makes it a pain to refill.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:43   #7
Senior - BHPian

I agree with ashthedivx, I always had inkjets in the past but in April got a Brother HL2035. The toner cartridge can be refilled but the one I got with the printer is going strong.

Only cost £40 for the 2035 whereas my last inkjet (HP) cost £30 a few years ago.
Old 12th July 2009, 00:53   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I am looking to buy a very basic printer. Main requirement is to print text documents in black ink.
How many pages per month are we looking at here ? If your usage is high then a laser printer will easily pay for its (higher) purchase price.

Its kind of like choosing between a petrol and a diesel car.
Old 12th July 2009, 01:02   #9
BHPian

I would recommend HP 915 all-in-one (though almost triple the price of your budget) but it worth buying this printer. Ink cartirages are cost Rs. 300 and odd for both black and colour and can print 500 pages of quality print of documents/photos. A rim of 80/85 gsm paper costs around Rs. 160, thus printing costs approximately Rs. 1.00/page. In addition you'll get a copier and scanner as well. Think about it, shell out some extra money and you'll never regret. Happy shopping.
Old 12th July 2009, 01:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityamunshi View Post
HP 1007 has a cartridge chip, unlike its predecessor the 1018. This makes it a pain to refill.
Yes, my lab recently purchased one, but its still any given day better than Inkjet. HP has discontinued 1020 I think. That was one of the best printer I have seen without worry about refiling. Theitwares still has it on the list for around Rs. 6.6K. Worth buying it.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:29   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the responses. It seems laser printer is the way to go, although i got this interesting suggestion at Techenclave:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil
The D1560 uses HP21 and HP22 cartridges. These are very refill friendly and can be successfully refilled at nominal cost several times. That is the key to low running cost. Also HP doesn't tell you this but they sell HP21B (Rs 350/-) which costs less than half of HP21 and is compatible. If you don't want to refill, then this is a good alternative.
The D2560 uses HP818 series of cartridges which do not enjoy much refilling success.
Anyone here having experience with these cartridges?

Last edited by DCEite : 15th July 2009 at 14:31.
Old 15th July 2009, 14:41   #12
Senior - BHPian

xerox has a new generation of laser printers running on 'solid ink'. Does anyone out here have any experience with new printers. there are conflicting reports on 'solid ink', some sources claim they are expensive and some say they are inexpensive. If there are users here please give a feedback on whether these are expensive or indeed inexpensive as the company claims them to be.
Old 17th July 2009, 21:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
xerox has a new generation of laser printers running on 'solid ink'. Does anyone out here have any experience with new printers. there are conflicting reports on 'solid ink', some sources claim they are expensive and some say they are inexpensive. If there are users here please give a feedback on whether these are expensive or indeed inexpensive as the company claims them to be.
AFAIK the new solid ink technology from xerox is for extremly high end printers (read: printing press) for lakhs of pages / month.

all the gurus on the forum.
Ps. suggest me a MFD for me too.
I need a all in one MFD, I already have a inkjet HP 840C. now looking for a all in one (printer , scanner , photocopier , fax).
the must haves :

- ADF (automatic document feeder)
- easily refillable toner / inktank ... (read: low cost)
- Network Printing (already 3 machines at home)
- Low on maintanance needs

optional stuff desierable but not necessory
- Duplexer
- Color prinout (hardly any prinouts, will use exisitng printer for that)

budget 10-12K, can strech a bit is required, preferably HP
ps. suggest me should i go for inkjet or lazer. (i think i should go for lazer)

my usage :
- around 40-50pages photocopy a month
- 1-2 faxes or around 1-2 pages a month
- 20-30pages scanning a month
- around 70-80 pages printouts a month
- hardly any (1-2) color printouts a month
Old 18th July 2009, 17:16   #14
BANNED

HP All in one has one ISSUE. if something goes wrong ( which does happen) one has to either exchange with new one ( if it has warranty) otherwise dump it.
Even engineer at HP says All in one are not safe & they are prone to issues and they dont have concept of changing the problematic spare part as the system is designed like that. so if someone buys it .....better to take the extended warranty.

quote=gaddiwale;1380258]I would recommend HP 915 all-in-one (though almost triple the price of your budget) but it worth buying this printer. Ink cartirages are cost Rs. 300 and odd for both black and colour and can print 500 pages of quality print of documents/photos. A rim of 80/85 gsm paper costs around Rs. 160, thus printing costs approximately Rs. 1.00/page. In addition you'll get a copier and scanner as well. Think about it, shell out some extra money and you'll never regret. Happy shopping.[/quote]
Old 18th July 2009, 20:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Basic laser printer with n/w printer

Highly recommend lexmark e120n. It comes with a network port (ethernet) and usb. Has print server which can accept prints over http too. Works with my dell laptop (win xp), desktop (win2k, RH linux 9) and nokia e61i (post script). About 2 years ago it came for about 6k INR. Prices would have fallen now.
Bj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks