Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 25th January 2013, 13:11   #151
BHPian

re: Suggestions for printers

Any one using Wifi enabled Canon 3170 printer? Would like to know how difficult is to setup the wifi. Getting a price around 5170/- from Croma stores.
Old 23rd February 2013, 21:57   #152
BHPian

Looking for suggestion to buy color Laser printer. Does it worth buying laser color printer or shall I go for Deskjet printer. Use is quite low, as need arises or homework for kids. But Deskjet ink cost and dry problem causing a issue.
Old 23rd February 2013, 22:57   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam003 View Post
Looking for suggestion to buy color Laser printer. Does it worth buying laser color printer or shall I go for Deskjet printer. Use is quite low, as need arises or homework for kids. But Deskjet ink cost and dry problem causing a issue.
I used to have one in my office, which was bought in 2007. Is now carrying dust as the toner is very expensive. Around 7k for toner change. Refills were never successful.

You can look at the hp ink advantage series, or epson ink tank printers. Value for money and would serve the purpose. Also look for all in ones, they also help you through photocopies if the need arises.

Even if the cartridge dries out new cartridges are fairly priced.

http://www.epson.co.in/sites/epson_i...FY966wod9yYAUg

Last edited by k2max6 : 23rd February 2013 at 22:58.
Old 20th April 2013, 11:55   #154
BHPian

Canon PIXMA MG3170
I bought this printer mainly for the wireless function and it has been a very good experience so far. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and the SES (similar to WPS) function in the router did not help in auto configuring wirelessly. Had to connect usb cable to setup the wireless. I tried from Windows XP, Ubuntu and it all works fine.

Pros:
Very good color prints.
Scan to pdf.
Scanning function even without the cartridges installed.
Independent operation (color/b&w copying) without the PC.
Duplex printing (prints on both sides automatically)
Linux/Mac drivers available. I am using the wireless scan/print functions on Ubuntu.

Cons:
Cartridge is a bit expensive. I have a CISS setup and currently working fine so far.
I bought a black one and the printer is super glossy, becomes dusty in no time. White would be better in that respect.
Old 7th May 2013, 20:44   #155
BHPian

Hi everyone, will appreciate any feedback on " HP LaserJet Pro - M1136 Multifunction Laser Printer.

I am planning to buy the same but Flipkart doesn't show delivery/availability for Noida location, can anyone point me to an alternate online portal/dealer where I can order it for home delivery?

Thanks in advance
Old 14th June 2013, 09:06   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
Canon PIXMA MG3170
I bought this printer mainly for the wireless function and it has been a very good experience so far. I have a Linksys WRT54G router and the SES (similar to WPS) function in the router did not help in auto configuring wirelessly. Had to connect usb cable to setup the wireless. I tried from Windows XP, Ubuntu and it all works fine.

Pros:
Very good color prints.
Scan to pdf.
Scanning function even without the cartridges installed.
Independent operation (color/b&w copying) without the PC.
Duplex printing (prints on both sides automatically)
Linux/Mac drivers available. I am using the wireless scan/print functions on Ubuntu.

Cons:
Cartridge is a bit expensive. I have a CISS setup and currently working fine so far.
I bought a black one and the printer is super glossy, becomes dusty in no time. White would be better in that respect.

Which CISS kit are you using with the canon printer ? Does printing quality suffer if CISS is used ?
Old 14th June 2013, 10:12   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Which CISS kit are you using with the canon printer ? Does printing quality suffer if CISS is used ?
I got this one from ebay:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/CS11A-EMPTY-C...-/200930379714

I am yet to take a photo quality print after the stock ink has drained. But so far, I have not seen any degradation in print quality. Its been almost two months now and have taken atleast 200 pages of color copies.

Here is my setup:
http://techbejoy.blogspot.in/2013/06...nuous-ink.html
Old 14th June 2013, 10:16   #158
BHPian

Did you use the existing (semi used) cartridges for the CISS? I just got the same printer and ordered the CISS system today.

Last edited by CrackedHead : 14th June 2013 at 10:20.
Old 14th June 2013, 10:40   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackedHead View Post
Did you use the existing (semi used) cartridges for the CISS? I just got the same printer and ordered the CISS system today.
Guess the question is to me. I installed the CISS kit on the new cartridges that came with the printer. But I feel there is no harm installing on a semi used cartridge.
Old 14th June 2013, 16:36   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bejoy View Post
I got this one from ebay:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/CS11A-EMPTY-C...-/200930379714

I am yet to take a photo quality print after the stock ink has drained. But so far, I have not seen any degradation in print quality. Its been almost two months now and have taken atleast 200 pages of color copies.

Here is my setup:
http://techbejoy.blogspot.in/2013/06...nuous-ink.html
Thanks...

However the process seems tricky. Will the tubes or drilling on the cartridges hinder movement of the print heads ?

Contemplating if this is worth taking the risk...
Old 14th June 2013, 19:36   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakensoul View Post
Thanks...

However the process seems tricky. Will the tubes or drilling on the cartridges hinder movement of the print heads ?

Contemplating if this is worth taking the risk...
The tube with ink connected to the top cover of the cartridges(which has the printhead) will definitely add a load to the drive mechanism. I don't see any alignment problems so far with the printing. But how it will affect the printer in the long run is to be seen. The printer is not that expensive for the functions it provide anyway, so IMO it would be worth taking a risk
Old 15th June 2013, 12:20   #162
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, we are in need of a printer. However, the use will be very very less, like maybe once in a week or two. Budget is not more than 4-5k as anything more than that doesnt make sense to invest in, given our low usage.

1. Would prefer a P/S/C model. Does it require a PC to copy? I would prefer not.

2. Looking at cost of toners, I wouldnt want to buy a laser. I would like to know about the cost of cartridges. What is HP ink advantage all about? The cartridges were listed as 300 each, so totalling to 1200. I wouldnt mind this cost. Please let me know any fineprints. I dont prefer refilling but if that is really the best way out I will compromise.

3. If inkjets are to be used in a specific minimum interval, I would do so, and how frequently must one use them?

4. Networking capablity is highly preferable given I have multiple devices at home but looking at my budget, I did not find any. Please do let me know if there is any model.

5. Flatbed scanner preferred.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:57   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Guys, we are in need of a printer. However, the use will be very very less, like maybe once in a week or two. Budget is not more than 4-5k as anything more than that doesnt make sense to invest in, given our low usage.

1. Would prefer a P/S/C model. Does it require a PC to copy? I would prefer not.

2. Looking at cost of toners, I wouldnt want to buy a laser. I would like to know about the cost of cartridges. What is HP ink advantage all about? The cartridges were listed as 300 each, so totalling to 1200. I wouldnt mind this cost. Please let me know any fineprints. I dont prefer refilling but if that is really the best way out I will compromise.

3. If inkjets are to be used in a specific minimum interval, I would do so, and how frequently must one use them?

4. Networking capablity is highly preferable given I have multiple devices at home but looking at my budget, I did not find any. Please do let me know if there is any model.

5. Flatbed scanner preferred.
My requirements were similar, except that I was ok with refilling and was looking a model that would work with a CISS kit. If you are ok with re-filling/CISS setup, Canon PIXMA MG3170 fits the bill. I got it for Rs. 5185 from flipkart. Check my review here

This is a WiFi model and I use it from Windows and Linux PC. It supports Apple AirPrint from iOS devices. I see that there is Canon App in Google Play for Android devices, for wireless printing. Google Cloud printing could be set up, but I have not tried it so far. No Windows Phone App yet for direct printing (I hope Canon would release one soon), but there are apps for printing via cloud, again I have not tried it yet.

For minimum usage interval part, at least once in a week would be sufficient. Just a color copy in the printer itself will do, thanks to the independent opetation without the need for PC.
Old 17th June 2013, 12:52   #164
Distinguished - BHPian

The printer seems to be what I want, as it has Wifi, and many other features that a HP at the same range does not have. However, the cost of cartridge seems to be high. HP cartridges cost Rs. 450 each for the black and the colour one and that is quite fine with me. WRT CISS, I would be interested but the cartridge ink is a pigment based ink whereas the one in the CISS are liquid dyes. I have seen this setup on a HP all in one and the prints were not so clear. Moreover, if the images were dense with lots of colours the output was soaked in ink. So I am not so willing to go by the CISS way.

Has anyone tried getting a CISS setup here with better results?
Old 17th June 2013, 13:56   #165
BHPian

I just bought a 2years old 2nd hand HP F4185All-in-One printer for Rs 1300 with black full and color empty cartridge.

It prints pretty good. Even scan pretty well.

Refill from local shop will cost me Rs 100/- It has H21 and H22 cartridge.

I connected to my Belkin WiFi Router USB Port to make it networked printer. Im able to print from any of 2 laptops and 1 desktop without issues!

I need to see how many prints each refill gives now. As per seller it will give 150+ pages for fast draft with 10% coverage. I will be using at home and will be printing about 20 pages a week.

Just a tip seller (he is small time computer/printer dealer) gave me, In Shivajinagar-Bangalore, 1 time used cartridges are available for Rs 150-200/-

Last edited by devrajman : 17th June 2013 at 13:59.

Most Viewed