Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2013, 18:23   #196
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Suggestions for printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Just got a HP 3515 Ink Advantage Printer today - For Approx Rs 5400.

Printer has amazing features :

1) Copy, Scan
2) Wifi Connectivity (Bye Bye USB Wires!)
3) HP E Printing (I am taking printouts with my android phone and Ipad). I can also send printouts to my office no matter where I am in the world!
4) A 2 inch monochrome LCD which enables easy settings and operation of the printer.

There is also some Rs. 1000 voucher I can get if I register with HP.

The cartridge HP 678 - Rs 450 MRP for 480 Pages yield in Black.
I got the same a few days back. As you said, good features. Direct wireless and eprint especially. So far, printed about 45 pages (all b&w), the ink level has dropped a notch, maybe between 5-10%. Lets see how long the cartridges last. The cost for both the black and color ones is 449 as per HP.
Old 29th August 2013, 17:23   #197
BHPian

I'm looking to buy a color printer - mostly for my daughter's school related projects. Occasional use. Must be economical and compact, don't want scanner, copier types. What's my best option? WIFI would help. Can keep it elsewhere and use whenever required.
Old 29th August 2013, 20:24   #198
BHPian

You could take a look at the HP Office Jet 8100. Single Function Printer with WiFi. It has the best feature set out there along with HP's great support for Inks and Servicing!

http://www.flipkart.com/hp-officejet...5-1d163eba7a88
Old 30th August 2013, 15:59   #199
BHPian

Canon PIXMA E510 - Got this printer before 3weeks from Chroma stores for about 5300/- for my home purpose. Its easy to use with the software installed on laptop. The print, copy and scan functions works perfectly. Installed the software came along with the box on my Windows 7 laptop. It took 1GB space to install everything on the CD. It is actually very noisy while starting of the printer and during the printing as well. Printed a color as well as B&W. Scan is smooth. Scanned few old color photos and my passport. Several options to scan eg.pdf, jpg. etc.The software allows to merge several pages in to single PDF as well. Several options to setup the quality of the scan.
So far happy about this product barring the noise. I still have to wait for the consumpiton of catridges.
Old 1st September 2013, 12:58   #200
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a printer for home use. It will be mostly for black and white print outs. Can some one please help with what to look our while hunting for a printer? I have a laptop at home and I will be pairing the printer with the laptop. Of course wired connection is there but I think there are wireless options too?

I need a bit of guidance as to what all things one should look for while buying a printer. Compactness of the printer is top priority as there is shortage of space near the laptop. I am thinking of taking out the printer only when required.

Last edited by Saanil : 1st September 2013 at 12:59.
Old 1st September 2013, 13:33   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I need a bit of guidance as to what all things one should look for while buying a printer.
Since you want a small printer by size then your looking at an inkjet, the trick with all entry level inkjet jets are the cost of buying them is quite low but the cost of the replacement cartridge is where most companies make money. Depending on what you want you need to look at the cost of replacement cartridges and if the brand your buying can be refilled outside if you don't want to spend money buying new ones.
As for wifi you looking at it being slightly expensive as stop gap some routers from asus and other brands support usb printers being connected to the router but check on the list of supported printer before that.

The Black and white lazer printer workhorse for voluminous printing is canon lbp2900
Old 1st September 2013, 21:08   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abishek2222 View Post

The Black and white lazer printer workhorse for voluminous printing is canon lbp2900
Thanks for your advice! I think I need to go to a Croma shop to see the options available. One more stupid question - what is the difference between Laser and Inkjet? I read somewhere that Inkjet print outs are quite slow? Is it true? What are the other major differences? Price wise and based on other factors too?
Old 1st September 2013, 21:46   #203
BHPian

Quote:

the difference between Laser and Inkjet? I read somewhere that Inkjet print outs are quite slow? Is it true? What are the other major differences?
http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/inkj...ome-use-176198

The above page sums it up very well but to answer your question inkjet is slower than the laser but laser you loose out on color and at some point you may just need a color print if its just a page. You don't have to go to chroma you can check flipkart it should shown you the prices the exact cartridge used , the cost of replacement cartridge also. If your worried about speed just check the PPM pages per minute for the printer. Most inkjets take a minute to print a page. Cost wise ink start at I think 3-4 thousand the laser at 9+. Maybe I wasn't clear in the last post if you buy a low end inkjet for 3 thousand you may end up spending another 3 thousand or more for replacement cartridges after a year or two. Most laser s cartridges are refillable.
Old 2nd September 2013, 00:38   #204
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
I'm looking to buy a color printer - mostly for my daughter's school related projects. Occasional use. Must be economical and compact, don't want scanner, copier types. What's my best option? WIFI would help. Can keep it elsewhere and use whenever required.
WiFi is good to have or a necessity? Since it's a single function printer you want, the wired one will be pretty cheap - 3k max.

Quote:
Hi Guys,

I am looking to buy a printer for home use. It will be mostly for black and white print outs. Can some one please help with what to look our while hunting for a printer? I have a laptop at home and I will be pairing the printer with the laptop. Of course wired connection is there but I think there are wireless options too?

I need a bit of guidance as to what all things one should look for while buying a printer. Compactness of the printer is top priority as there is shortage of space near the laptop. I am thinking of taking out the printer only when required.
Since you will be using it occasionally inkjet should do. At about 5-6k you have the likes of 2515/3515 all in one from HP. 3515 has Wi-Fi connectivity as well. Size wise it would be smaller than your LaserJets. The current crop of ink advantage products are pretty cost effective with cartridge costs as well.

Last edited by Dry Ice : 2nd September 2013 at 00:41.
Old 2nd September 2013, 12:49   #205
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by triedeverything View Post
We had a similar requirement but we opted for all-in-one printer with Wi-fi.

Scanner is good to have as you can scan and keep a copy of all your imp docs and just fire a print when you want a copy.

This is our recent purchase and been using it for over a month. Too soon for a review but pretty happy with the print quality and ink consumption.
Old 2nd September 2013, 19:21   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, a couple of clarifications:

1. Good news is that I converted my Deskjet 1050 into a networked printer using my DLink 2750U modem. I can now print from any computer in the network.

2. Bad news is that I cant access the scanner or I am not able to configure things that way. Is it possible to installl a scanner driver such that it would work over the network?
As of now, I am really happy that I could elimnate one of the few drawbacks the product had. However, using scanner over the net would be an added advantage.

3. Black cartridge seems to be partially clogged after taking 190 prints(rated output was ~120 pages) and a few topups of ink. I tried various cleaning agents. Once it worked but now nothing seems to do. I think I will visit a professional refiller and check if he could solve the problem. In normal and best quality, its printing well but in fast draft mode, 1mm is not being printed in each stroke. Still, if I could extract another 50 pages, it is good enough.
Old 7th September 2013, 11:40   #207
Distinguished - BHPian

Been about 2 months now with the 3515, and used it to print about 160 odd pages, here is the remaining ink levels. Let's see how much it actually prints - official claim is 480 pages.

Name:  PRINTER.png
Views: 882
Size:  22.7 KB
Old 7th September 2013, 12:30   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Now I want to throw my printer after seeing those ink levels. Mine used to drop by a point after every ten prints that too in fast draft mode. How I wish I was there when my father purchased the printer

Think you will get a yield greater than 480 pages, and are you using fast draft quality or normal quality?
Old 7th September 2013, 21:40   #209
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Now I want to throw my printer after seeing those ink levels. Mine used to drop by a point after every ten prints that too in fast draft mode. How I wish I was there when my father purchased the printer

Think you will get a yield greater than 480 pages, and are you using fast draft quality or normal quality?
Mostly used fast draft, grayscale. Used normal mode only while printing the color copies. While using the copy function, I always print with lighter -3 setting.

What are the cartridge numbers you are using?

Let's see if the official figure matches, would be happy if it does.

And don't fret over the page output, I guess you saved some on the upfront cost too.
Old 7th September 2013, 21:54   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

BTW, are the cartridges cross compatible? Could you post a picture of the contacts in the 678 cartridge? Mine are HP 802 ones. If they are then I will go in for new cartridges rather than refilling them.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks