BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
I booked the Canon Pixma G3000...
Same pinch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post
The only concern with Canon 3010 is support for windows only (no Mac). HP 419 is available in stock in HP Store, T.Nagar and it costs the same 13500.

Also one more thing observed is most models are either out stock online
I got the G3000 because it’s compatible with a mac. All it misses is a tiny display which I don’t think will matter too much. Plus it has sold a lot globally and is imported from the Phillipines. Received mine via Amazon quite promptly and the Canon guy called me the day after I scheduled an installation and was ready to come. I avoided Hp this time because my current 4 year old HP suddenly stopped recognising the cartridges. Apparently a bad cartridge holder.

Last edited by Iyencar : 16th August 2020 at 22:51.
Iyencar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 08:24   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iyencar View Post

I got the G3000 because it’s compatible with a mac. All it misses is a tiny display which I don’t think will matter too much. Plus it has sold a lot globally and is imported from the Phillipines. Received mine via Amazon quite promptly and the Canon guy called me the day after I scheduled an installation and was ready to come.
Thanks for sharing.
I too got mine from Amazon but no one called me for installation.

I installed the Canon app and able to print wirelessly from my mobile.
On my laptop, I installed it by USB method, so I'm not able to print wirelessly. Any leads.
Old 17th August 2020, 09:25   #348
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
I too got mine from Amazon but no one called me for installation.

On my laptop, I installed it by USB method, so I'm not able to print wirelessly. Any leads.
You need to call Canon for installation on 1860 180 3366. Mine is getting installed today. I’ll see how it’s done and tell you.
Old 17th August 2020, 14:53   #349
Distinguished - BHPian

Installation? If we buy a printer, should we not know how to use/install it? Added to which, in the world of Windows (and Mac?) This has been easy for decades.

I'd like to see the company man install on Linux!

And, sadly, although the answer is usually "yes" these days, I still feel I have to ask Google "does it work on Linux?" Before buying any peripheral.
Old 17th August 2020, 15:12   #350
Distinguished - BHPian

Gentlemen, I see you talking about the Canon Pixma 3000/3010 Ink Tank printers. May I remind you that you can order grey market ink tank refills going forward instead of relying on OEM ink tank refills (which is where they really milk your money). Try this brand called "profissy" on Amazon which offers 3rd party ink that'll fit most mainstream printer models. If you try searching for ink along with the model's name, you'll get all these 3rd party ink suppliers and they're cheap.

I've used 3rd party ink suppliers for years in the US for my erstwhile Pixma printer. I intend to buy a Canon Pixma ink-tank model here in India but a good deal eludes me.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 18:01   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Got the installation done now. Was a bit chaotic since he was in a hurry and I was connecting it to my Windows desktop, macbook laptop, and my iphone. Essentially, you do remote printing by signing into google cloud printing on your browser, defining an email id of your choice on the pc/laptop that is connected to the printer.
In addition these were the drivers installed:
G3000 series Full Driver & Software Package (Mac)
G3000 series MP Drivers Ver 1.02 (Windows)
Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy App (Iphone)
Hope this helps.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:09   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
Gentlemen, I see you talking about the Canon Pixma 3000/3010 Ink Tank printers. May I remind you that you can order grey market ink tank refills going forward instead of relying on OEM ink tank refills (which is where they really milk your money). Try this brand called "profissy" on Amazon which offers 3rd party ink that'll fit most mainstream printer models. If you try searching for ink along with the model's name, you'll get all these 3rd party ink suppliers and they're cheap.
Thanks for sharing.
The whole idea of buying ink tank printer was to save on the cartridge cost. However my usage is at home and very less, so wondering if the liquid can turn thick or so and ruin the printer head.
Old 17th August 2020, 18:14   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
The whole idea of buying ink tank printer was to save on the cartridge cost. However my usage is at home and very less, so wondering if the liquid can turn thick or so and ruin the printer head.
The ink tank printers are meant for medium scale usage in small offices, to be honest. I think with little use, problems will crop up. Yes, the cost per page is minimal vis-a-vis cartridges, but the throughput has to be high with ink tank printers. If I'm mistaken in this - i'd be glad to be corrected.

I intend to print photos regularly and resume filling my kid's growing-up album.
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:19   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
However my usage is at home and very less, so wondering if the liquid can turn thick or so and ruin the printer head.
I am also in the same boat as you. My usage is around 50-100 pages per month only (mainly school) and some documentation paperwork. For this usage Ink Tank is a overkill and also I do not want to get into normal inkjet for the high costs. I was speaking to a HP store person and he recommended HP 4729 Model which is Ink Efficient printer for this usage - it gives higher number of prints than a normal inkjet but around Rs.4000 lower cost than inktank for same features. For comparison he quoted Rs.9500 for 4729 compared to Rs.13500 for HP419 (All-in-one, WIFI features). Any one using HP 4729 in this forum and provide feedback?

Also one more thing i noticed is Amazon price is very high recently especially for printers and neighbourhood store is quoting Rs.1500 less for this model.
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2020, 19:25   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by concorde24 View Post

Also one more thing i noticed is Amazon price is very high recently especially for printers and neighbourhood store is quoting Rs.1500 less for this model.
Probably because they were offering 10% discount on HDFC cards, then SBI cards. Now it's 5% discount on Citibank cards.
Old 17th August 2020, 20:31   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
When I asked the techie to set only black and white printouts he said I have to use the colours too or it could dry and damage the head.
Old 17th August 2020, 22:47   #357
Distinguished - BHPian

Make sure you make a full-colour print (even a test sheet might do) once a week or more!
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 07:58   #358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for sharing.
I have an ink tank printer, the Canon Pixima 3000, so far I have not faced any issue in almost one year (I got it last Diwali). I have taken almost 800 pages now (almost all in color). Sometimes we print few times in a week and sometimes once in few weeks! The inktanks are more resilient in that sense, (compared to the inkjets, earlier I had the HP Ink Advantage 3635 I think that hardly lasted me a year). Looking at the ink level, I think I can easily get 2000 pages or so more! Given my usage, the ink will outlast the printer!

I only had one issue once with the inktank. It stopped printing blacks. Checked online and it seems common enough problem. Solution is to do something called deep clean. You can perform it yourself. Looks like it flushes out the ink from the pipes that take it to the print head. That solved the issue for me.
joslicx is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 08:37   #359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Sometimes we print few times in a week and sometimes once in few weeks! The inktanks are more resilient in that sense

I only had one issue once with the inktank. It stopped printing blacks. Checked online and it seems common enough problem. Solution is to do something called deep clean. You can perform it yourself.

Thanks for sharing. This clears my doubts. For home use, we definitely can't use much, but in today's times we definitely need a printer at home. Sometimes for just printing 5 pages or taking few xeroz pages, I had to visit a cyber Cafe or a stationary shop, which starting getting annoying at times. However now with a printer at home, I can print, copy and scan at my will.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2020, 11:19   #360
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Got a brother DCP-T510W WiFi printer for home use. Installed the app and I can print documents, make photo copies, no issues.
Quote:
I am unsure of Canon, but in brother, you can either print wireless or via USB, you can not have both [which is not right IMO].

I tried to install the software and it asked me, how would you want to print, there were 2 options. Guess, I am good with wireless prints. [It is pretty easy on android phones with Office as preinstalled on Samsungs].
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks