Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2020, 12:52   #376
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

Hi Guys,

Don't mean to bump this thread but would appreciate any inputs on the post below. Your personal experiences...

Alternatively, can anyone suggest a good printer repair guy in the suburbs of Bombay who will come home to fix my Canon printer.

Thanks a lot.
Regards,
SS
Old 13th September 2020, 23:05   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
For people in Apple Ecosystem, they do need to check compatibility of Canon products. Not all printers seem to support Mac OS or Airprint.
Is it not possible to use google cloud print from Mac?
There is an offer to get a Google home mini with Canon G3100, which doesn't support mac. So, I am tempted to go for it instead of the G3000. I am primarily a windows user, so scanning, etc is not an issue. Wanted to confirm if for the occasional print from a macbook, is google cloud print supported.
Old 14th September 2020, 11:53   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
There is an offer to get a Google home mini with Canon G3100, which doesn't support mac. So, I am tempted to go for it instead of the G3000. I am primarily a windows user, so scanning, etc is not an issue. Wanted to confirm if for the occasional print from a macbook, is google cloud print supported.
I do not see the G3100 model avialable in Canon India website. If google cloud print is there then there should be no problem printing over Wifi in a mac.
Old 14th September 2020, 12:42   #379
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
I do not see the G3100 model avialable in Canon India website. If google cloud print is there then there should be no problem printing over Wifi in a mac.
Sorry, I meant G3010.
Don't see any difference between this and G3000 other than the fact that G3000 supports Mac.
Old 15th September 2020, 12:51   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
Don't mean to bump this thread but would appreciate any inputs on the post below. Your personal experiences...
My requirements were similar to yours. I had mentioned my shortlisted printers here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpthy View Post
My primary requirements are:
1. Print, scan, and copy
2. Laser
3. WiFi enabled
4. Compact size
5. Duplex printing
I ended up buying a Brother DCP-B7535DW for ~18k. It's difficult to find something in your budget, but if you are willing to extend till ~15k, then I would suggest you to buy either:

1. HP LaserJet MFP M30w (~13.5k)
2. Brother DCP-L2531DW (~15k)

The HP is super compact and cheaper but misses on duplex printing. The Brother gets duplex printing and occupies more real estate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Google cloud print is being deprecated at the end of 2020. I suggest you buy the G3000 if you plan to use it with a Mac. https://support.google.com/chrome/a/answer/9633006

Last edited by mpthy : 15th September 2020 at 13:11. Reason: Responding to another post. Correcting the model.
mpthy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2020, 16:12   #381
Senior - BHPian

Had a bad experience with the authorized service center for Canon printers.

Had an issue where the paper was getting jammed and so i gave it to them to check (2month old device). They said roller complaint and spare not available (covid reasons) and so i waited for a month...

Spare arrived, they called and said your printer is ready. Asked them if they changed the roller, they said no sir, there was a pen cap inside the printer, that's why it was getting jammed.

So for a few minutes work, they made me wait for a month! They hadn't even opened the device to verify if it was in fact the roller that was faulty :(
deathwalkr is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2020, 21:59   #382
BHPian

Folks,

Need some help here. I am in need of a printer, the immediate requirement is driven by my daugther's school needs ( about 10 to 20 black and white and color pages per month). But I can see the volume increase in the coming months and years and also as my wife would like to print out some reference documents she needs. I get a sense that in addition to the cost per page, the other key requirements are auto-duplex (especially when we print out multi page PDFs) and wireless connectivity. I think the ink-advantage and the ink tank printers both fit my requirement from a cost perspective but probably more in the ink tank range in the longer term. I am not able to find a good auto-duplex printer with wireless option in the range I am looking for ( 15K +/- ). May be I am missing something here. Color prints is a non-negotiable requirement for my daugther's home work and hence I can't go for laser. Can someone please help me with the cheapest one that would meet my requirements?
sbkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th October 2020, 19:18   #383
BHPian

Can anyone help me decide this please - hp410 vs pixma 3000?
Old 17th October 2020, 07:38   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Folks,

Need some help here. I am in need of a printer, the immediate requirement is driven by my daugther's school needs ( about 10 to 20 black and white and color pages per month). But I can see the volume increase in the coming months and years and also as my wife would like to print out some reference documents she needs. I get a sense that in addition to the cost per page, the other key requirements are auto-duplex (especially when we print out multi page PDFs) and wireless connectivity. I think the ink-advantage and the ink tank printers both fit my requirement from a cost perspective but probably more in the ink tank range in the longer term. I am not able to find a good auto-duplex printer with wireless option in the range I am looking for ( 15K +/- ). May be I am missing something here. Color prints is a non-negotiable requirement for my daugther's home work and hence I can't go for laser. Can someone please help me with the cheapest one that would meet my requirements?
Hp ink tank seems to tailor made for you.
I don't know if it has a duplexer, but is it really a deal-breaker? I have an inkjet without duplexer but I always use the manual duplex mode that means you have to flip the stack once the first side is printed - the driver takes care of ordering the pages such that you only need to flip once.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2020, 16:16   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
I don't know if it has a duplexer, but is it really a deal-breaker?
For me it would be. Networking (I need wired for my PC and other devices can go wireless via the router so wireless is not needed) and duplex are must haves. Even for a two page letter, I just want to press print once and be done.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2020, 18:45   #386
BHPian

I know I will miss the auto duplex. But couldn't really justify the premium for my usage. Hence went with Pixma 3000 as it seemed to be more popular one. Hope I don't regret it. There were inkjet models with auto duplex in my budget but I thought inkjet will be cost effective as the number of pages from inkjets seems to vary quite a lot.
Old 22nd October 2020, 21:16   #387
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Can anyone help me decide this please - hp410 vs pixma 3000?
Just got a Canon Pixma 3000 a few days ago! Would have been happy to answer any questions, but I see you've bitten the bullet already.

I picked the Canon because the Amazon ratings were better, and a few other sources made it seem like the better product.

Few random points:

- I've only used it in USB mode so far.
- It comes with a big Black ink bottle and TWO MORE free in the box Was very happy about this, as the cartridges for my HP 1112 have been bankrupting me and giving nowhere near the advertised number of pages.
- It's a bit noisy
- Scanning software looks like it's from 1998, but quality is good. If you choose the last option you can scan at 1200dpi, but it's a LOT slower than the 600dpi option (probably scans twice and then interpolates).
- Price was 12,499 and bought it with GST set-off, so ~10,500
- Universal tip: Set your DEFAULT print setting to 'draft'. It's more than good enough for everyday prints, and saves ink (and is faster).
Rehaan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2020, 16:07   #388
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Just got a Canon Pixma 3000 a few days ago! Would have been happy to answer any questions, but I see you've bitten the bullet already.

I picked the Canon because the Amazon ratings were better, and a few other sources made it seem like the better product.

Few random points:

- I've only used it in USB mode so far.
- It comes with a big Black ink bottle and TWO MORE free in the box Was very happy about this, as the cartridges for my HP 1112 have been bankrupting me and giving nowhere near the advertised number of pages.
- It's a bit noisy
- Scanning software looks like it's from 1998, but quality is good. If you choose the last option you can scan at 1200dpi, but it's a LOT slower than the 600dpi option (probably scans twice and then interpolates).
- Price was 12,499 and bought it with GST set-off, so ~10,500
- Universal tip: Set your DEFAULT print setting to 'draft'. It's more than good enough for everyday prints, and saves ink (and is faster).
Thanks for your inputs and yes I went with it mainly based on ratings. With the Great Indian Festival sale, I got it for around 11.2K after discounts ( No GST).

My first thoughts:

It feels a little flimsy, I expected the unit to be a bit more sturdy. I think it has to be handled with extreme care. This is my first printer and I am not sure how the other models fare in this aspect.

Tried a black and white and color print. I am okay with the quality so far (not thrilled, but fine), yet to try with photos. Didn't notice what mode I was printing on, should be draft I guess. Most of the usage is going to be for the daughter's school work and I am fine with this quality.

The installation is a little time-consuming process. You have to follow the steps carefully as given in the manual or you can use the online guide which has videos to help out. Wish I had got something with a screen that could give me a proper error message!

The most complicated part was setting up the wifi ( connecting to the router). It was relatively easy to pair from the phone with the wifi-direct and canon print app.

I was trying to do the setup on my work Macbook pro and it was failing abruptly after certain steps. I was not sure what was going wrong. Though there are enough instructions, there is not much help when you are doing something wrong, to help you troubleshoot it.

Then I tried setting it up with the phone and was able to pair it to the router.
After that tried setting it up on my personal mac and it went through quite easily as well(probably because it's already paired). I still have not debugged what's the problem setting the printer on my work laptop. Also, I don't know if it works with 5GHz and hence did the set up connecting to the 2.4GHz channel.

Will update further after some usage.
sbkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 17:52   #389
BHPian

Hi All,
Picked up a HP310 Inktank printer during the October Sale and have been using it for 3 weeks now. This is a quick review on this for future buyers.

1. I was looking for a sub-10k inktank printer, as I did not want to spend much on this. My primary usage is kids school work and occasional documentation. So I narrowed down to Inktank series based on per-copy cost compared to Inkjet. I had to forego WIFI access as it costs minimum Rs.3000 more.
2. HP31x series has 3 modes - 310, 315, 319 with HP installation and also 316 model which does not have free installation from HP. The only difference is amount of ink supplied during purchase and I picked up 310 which is cheapest version.
3. Print quality is good - did check on normal A4, Bond sheet and also photo print. Manual duplex works as expected and also it is compatible with HP plugin for Android to print via OTG cable as well.
4. Also I was able to get WIFI working by connecting to Router printer server and using Nokoprint print app.

For Rs.8000 after cashback/discounts looks to be a good deal and if you are looking for WIFI model check out HP410 which is selling for Rs.11,000 (after cashback).
concorde24 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th November 2020, 11:31   #390
BHPian

Need some advice. Need to take an All in One preferably with colour print option, for my home use - mainly for daughter's school and associated exams and uploading.

Requirements:
1. May need frequent colour and B&W printing.
2. Need it to be with Wireless capabilities as have no laptop at home. Will be used with 2 OnePlus devices and an iPad.
3. Printing speed is not that important.

Considering HP 419 and Canon Pixma G3000. Open to others also.

Questions in my mind -
1. Do they support scan to PDF?
2. Print quality.
3. Interface issues, if any.

Request advice as will be picking it up ASAP from local offline stores. (No stock available online).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks