Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2016, 15:13   #256
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

You are very lucky. What make is it? My last one was Canon. It had a separate-to-cartrage print head assembly. If I recall correctly, replacing it was over Rs4k!
Old 6th July 2016, 01:23   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You are very lucky. What make is it? My last one was Canon. It had a separate-to-cartrage print head assembly. If I recall correctly, replacing it was over Rs4k!

HP desk ink jet 3545 and a 4508.

One sat in the Netherlands whilst we lived in India. So it could be sitting idle for months. The other one was with us in Delhi. Could be sitting idle for weeks. Never had a problem with the cartridges drying out though.
Jeroen
Old 16th August 2016, 13:20   #258
Senior - BHPian

Purchased Brother DCP-T500W ink jet printer with ink tanks.

Setup was easy did without using any PC, just selected home WiFi SSID from printer and entered WPA-PSK key using keys of printer itself and scanning and printing tests done using mobile phone. Installed Brother print service on Android so that web pages can be printed directly from chrome browser on Android. There is an App which allows to scan and store on mobile or dropbox /skydrive.

Came with CYM + 2 Black Ink bottles 75 ml ink in colour bottles and 100 ml in Black, Most cartridges I have seen at shop have 4 to 16 ml of ink so this should last long.

Need to find appropriate photo papers . to avoid drying of inks may be I can print a photo every week :-)
Old 7th May 2017, 11:37   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Last week I traded in our HP Deskjet 1050 All in one for a 3835 Ink advantage all in one printer through Flipkart. I must say this was a brilliant shift and for the price I paid, it was a steal.

MRP of the printer: Rs. 8816
Price on Flipkart: 5999
Less discount: 1000
Exchange offer: 1000
Landing cost: 3999 + 100 as pickup charge for the old printer.

What the new printer gives me in addition to the old printer:
  • Wifi connectivity which was badly needed owing to increase in number of user devices in the last few years
  • Touch screen display to perform various jobs on the printer itself
  • Wireless scanning which was not possible earlier with 1050
  • Email print
  • Fax(though I dont use it)
  • Sheet feeder for scanning
  • Cheaper printing costs, as claimed
  • Lot of utilities like stored formats, templates which can be printed directly from printer
  • ID Card copying function
  • Super silent operation especially in comparison to our earlier 1050 which was more noisier than our Direct drive washing machine
They delivered the printer within a day and this one is imported in February and I got a sealed box. Though for our occasional use the 1050 was more than sufficient, but lately, it had connectivity issues and I had set it up for use with my wireless router. However, only printing was possible through network and for scanning, it required the USB connection to be swapped from router to device. And to add to this, cartridges were expensive and hardly gave a yield of 70-80 pages. Hence, I was on the lookout for a new printer and this was a perfect buy!

http://www8.hp.com/emea_africa/en/pr...334#!tab=specs

Last edited by audioholic : 7th May 2017 at 11:42.
Old 15th May 2017, 20:31   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Last week I traded in our HP Deskjet 1050 All in one for a 3835 Ink advantage all in one printer through Flipkart. I must say this was a brilliant shift and for the price I paid, it was a steal.

MRP of the printer: Rs. 8816
Price on Flipkart: 5999
Less discount: 1000
Exchange offer: 1000
Landing cost: 3999 + 100 as pickup charge for the old printer...
The price today is Rs. 4,999 without any exchange.
Does it make sense at this price?

I have a 5-year old HP F2120 which has just gone belly-up

Edit: Managed to include the exchange; final landed price: Rs. 4,099!

Last edited by cpbopanna : 15th May 2017 at 20:44.
Old 15th May 2017, 21:43   #261
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpbopanna View Post
The price today is Rs. 4,999 without any exchange.
Does it make sense at this price?

I have a 5-year old HP F2120 which has just gone belly-up

Edit: Managed to include the exchange; final landed price: Rs. 4,099!
Congratulations

Yes even at 5k I would have brought it straight away. Show me another printer which offers so much at this price range. It has redefined connectivity at my house. My folks are now using the scanner directly from their phones. The same printer sells at 8.3k on Ebay. Looks like someone is making quick money.
Old 19th August 2018, 11:37   #262
BHPian

I have a HP Deskjet 3545 . The issue is that the cartridges do not last very long and i end up buying at least 9-10 in a year. Secondly, occasionally the paper jams when on double side printing mode.

I would like to buy a new printer, where the maintenance requirement may not be so frequent. Cost ideally under 25k. Strictly home use, but i do tend to print documents quite frequently.

Which printers should i consider?
Old 19th August 2018, 15:22   #263
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Consider this question carefully: Do you really, really need to print in colour?

When I got fed up with throwing away dried-out, useless inkjet cartridges and print heads, I decided that I didn't. I bought a monochrome laser printer. It sits there, month after month, even year after year, and is always just ready to use. Laser cartridges do not dry out: there is no wastage. They are also quite long lasting.

Mine is a Brother printer, which I had for quite a few years. I'm certain it has more than paid for itself by the cartridges and entire inkjet printers that I did not throw away over that time. Possibly a factor in this is that it is built for office use, and is quite sturdy. When I need colour prints/copies, there is a company nearby that does them with excellent quality at a reasonable price.

Of course, there are colour laser printers too. I don't know the current state of them: I doubt that they rival inkjet for picture quality, if you want that sort of printing. The only colour laser printer I have lived with was a huge HP machine that cost as much as a small car. It gave as much trouble as some small cars too. But hey... over twenty years ago.

There are other printing technologies too, but I have not even googled this stuff for years.

I cannot advise on current models, but I can say... unless you must have inket colour, buy a laser printer. It will cost you a lot less over several years.
Old 19th August 2018, 17:41   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Consider this question carefully: Do you really, really need to print in colour?
No, not really.
But....what if on that rare occasion i need it?

Oh well. The neighbourhood shop, as you said.

Thanks.
Old 19th August 2018, 19:51   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Consider the ink-tank range of printer from epson.
I had brought the L355 model way back in 2014, used the printer extensively for the first few months and then no activity for rest of the year apart from the occasional single print.
Never let me down with any of the old inkjet printers issue like drying of ink or ink spillage etc

Got the new ink bottle just last year, a good 3 & half year & 4k colour & 7k b/w print later.

PS: i got 2 set of black bottle & one set of colour.
Old 19th August 2018, 20:50   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appu.bhandari View Post
Consider the ink-tank range of printer from epson. ...
Really no prolems from unused printer heads drying out? That is not only good, it is miraculous!
Old 29th August 2018, 16:54   #267
BHPian

Quote:
I bought a monochrome laser printer.
Mine is a Brother printer,
Thank you, Thad. Ordered a Brother monochrome laser printer yesterday afternoon and it was delivered this afternoon. Easy set up and all ready to go.
Seems more solid than the HP 3545.
Old 29th August 2018, 18:10   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was at work, HP Laserjets lasted for ever. I guess they may still make commercial-grade equipment. I am impressed with the Brother's commercial-standard build.

Enjoy your printer!
Old 8th September 2018, 19:57   #269
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, Thad. Ordered a Brother monochrome laser printer yesterday afternoon and it was delivered this afternoon.
Quote:
Enjoy your printer!
Must thank you again. <Gush!> the printer comes with a document feeder for scanning. Works like a charm and very fast. Now i can get all my (blasted) IT returns related papers scanned and filed.
Old 8th September 2018, 21:48   #270
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Must thank you again. ...
You're very welcome, and it sounds like you have a nice machine. Now, I should get mine serviced!

By the way: third-party toner cartridges and refills do work, but the ones I have had have not printed as well or as cleanly as the branded ones.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks