Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2020, 10:14   #391
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalEagle View Post

Considering HP 419 and Canon Pixma G3000. Open to others also.

Questions in my mind -
1. Do they support scan to PDF?
2. Print quality.
3. Interface issues, if any.

Request advice as will be picking it up ASAP from local offline stores. (No stock available online).
Not sure if you have bought it already.
I got G3000 recently. It has wifi direct which worked fine when I printed from the canon print app on my OnePlus 7. Scan to PDF , I am not sure. Will update once I am able to check it.
Old 24th November 2020, 10:23   #392
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Need some advice. Need to take an All in One preferably with colour print option, for my home use - mainly for daughter's school and associated exams and uploading.

Requirements:
1. May need frequent colour and B&W printing.
2. Need it to be with Wireless capabilities as have no laptop at home. Will be used with 2 OnePlus devices and an iPad.
3. Printing speed is not that important.
I had the same set of requirements and I purchased the HP419 sometime around July this year.

Quote:
Questions in my mind -
2. Print quality.
1- Yes. Scan to PDF / JPEG is possible
2- Good. Have not printed pics yet, but plan to do it soon.
3- It is connected to 3 laptops and 2 mobiles. One of the laptops has a problem connecting to the printer via wi-fi so connected using USB cable. The other 4 devices work flawlessly.

The feature that I miss the most :

- Automatic two side printing
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 13:53   #393
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post

The feature that I miss the most :

Generally printers can do two side printing with some manual intervention. First the printer will print all pages on one side. Then you can just take them, flip over and put them back in page feeder and then the printer prints all the other side pages.

I've printed entire books for my kids and it's quite handy. One time intervention is no big deal. But it would be annoying if we are printing only few pages but many times during the day.
joslicx is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 08:43   #394
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Need some advice. Need to take an All in One preferably with colour print option, for my home use - mainly for daughter's school and associated exams and uploading.

Requirements:
1. May need frequent colour and B&W printing.
2. Need it to be with Wireless capabilities as have no laptop at home. Will be used with 2 OnePlus devices and an iPad.
3. Printing speed is not that important.

Considering HP 419 and Canon Pixma G3000. Open to others also.

Questions in my mind -
2. Print quality.

Request advice as will be picking it up ASAP from local offline stores. (No stock available online).
Check out HP's new release - HP DeskJet Plus Ink Advantage 6075 All-In-One Printer, which has wireless Print, Copy, Scan & Photo functions. This supports printing from PCs/laptops, mobile phones either via wireless or via web or via USB cable attached. Recommended printing volume per month for Ink Tank is 400+ and for Deskjets it is 100+. So if your usage is less you can consider Deskjets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
6075 supports automatic duplex printing (has to be selected from printer settings page before printing).

Last edited by msdivy : 24th December 2020 at 08:47.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 14:04   #395
Senior - BHPian

I have a bad experience with HP advantage printer. It hardly would print 50 pages or so in color before the cartridge needed to be changed!! So practically useless for color printing. In all I may have used it for 200 pages or so ( both color and b&w) before it conked off for good. The service center said the motherboard needed replacement and their repair estimate was more than the price of the printer itself!! So thats when I junked it altogether.

Am using an inktank printer now, the Canon pixima G3000. It is simply superb. I have done more than 2000 pages now and it can do another 1000 or so before I'd need to refill ink. 90% of the time I am printing in color. I got it for around 8500 (after all the discounts/cashbacks). So pretty good deal I think.

My recommendation is, even for low usage go with inktank printers.
joslicx is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:07   #396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
My recommendation is, even for low usage go with inktank printers.
Thanks for the perspective .

Just an illustration on HP:
Cheapest cartridge printer: HP DeskJet 1212, costs Rs 2000. Its cartridge costs Rs 680 and prints 100 pages.
Cheapest Inktank printer: HP Ink Tank 316, costs Rs 10,000. Its ink bottle costs Rs 600 and prints 6000 pages.

To print 6,000 pages, the Deskjet will require Rs 40,000 (60*680) worth of cartridges

Epson turned the business model around, by making money from Ink tank printers, rather than ink. I wonder why HP is even selling cartridge printers. This is like selling filament bulbs in the age of LEDs.

Last edited by msdivy : 11th January 2021 at 22:08.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2021, 22:24   #397
Senior - BHPian

I am stuck with an inkjet, but I bought a refill kit off Amazon, so the running cost is pretty much ok.

Not sure I want to buy an inkjet next.
honeybee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2021, 16:07   #398
Distinguished - BHPian

Even with Inktank printers, ensure that it prints a few pages in color and black once a month at least. My Epson ink tank printer started printing with gaps/blanks. Deep purging of nozzles did not help either. Finally took to the service center who manually purged the nozzles and suggested to use it every month else the printer head will go bad due to the dried up ink in the ink tubes from the tank to the head. The head costs 60% the cost of printer.
sagarpadaki is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 5th February 2021, 00:05   #399
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Looking to buy a laser jet printer for home use. Use is not much but when we do want to use, it should work. Currently, with the HP 3525 AIO, that's not the case. Before printing, I HAVE to do a printer head clean, everytime; waste time in the bargain, before attempting to print a simple single page document.

Quite fed up of this ritual & looking for:

1) Reliability. Damn thing must print when told to & not make me do the head cleaning circus everyday
2) Scanner. I'm ok with lack of wifi printing or not being connected to network. USB printing is just fine
3) Only Black & white printing is also fine, if that makes any price difference; don't need to print colour

I'm truly pissed off with this cartridge & printer nonsense that HP dishes out under the garb of relatively lower priced printers. I sense Brother printers might be better?

Cheers
Old 10th February 2021, 00:13   #400
BHPian

Hi Guys,
Looking to buy a colour inktank printer within 12-13k. My usage:
- Have a lot of photos I have clicked over the years, would like to print them out. Not expecting studio quality output, size would be 4x6" mostly for the photos. Planning for 180/200 gsm photo paper for the photos. Roughly 30-40 photos/ month
- Remaining would be monochrome pages, mostly flight tickets or printing other documents. Roughly 200-300 pages/ month
- Don't have any requirement for the scanner / copy function since scanning with the phone is sufficient, and can give print command directly from the phone if required
- Wifi is a must, should be compatible with Android devices for printing

I have shortlisted two printers: Canon Pixma 3000 series / Brother DCP T420w. Any other option I should look for? Which one is better? Have heard mixed reviews for HP printers

Amazon has better ratings for the Brother 420w than the Canon and is a lot faster too. Which printer has better print quality? I am tilting towards the Brother, could anyone please share their experience with this brand, and how has been the experience for the Brother printer? Also, should I increase my budget and spend 1k more for the Brother 510w, which has Wi-Fi Direct and LCD display?

Also considered photo printers like Selphy, but their media is quite expensive not sure if it would be of value besides, for regular printing I would need another printer.
Old 10th February 2021, 09:22   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJK View Post
Guys,
Quite fed up of this ritual & looking for:

1) Reliability. Damn thing must print when told to & not make me do the head cleaning circus everyday
2) Scanner. I'm ok with lack of wifi printing or not being connected to network. USB printing is just fine
3) Only Black & white printing is also fine, if that makes any price difference; don't need to print colour

Cheers
I was in the same boat as you. I was sick of spending thousands on inkjet printer cartridges. My employer exclusively buys Brother laser printers, and I've seen very few problems with them over the years, so I decided to go for this one:

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got it for about 15,500/- during a sale. It has both USB and wi-fi, direct printing from mobiles, and auto-duplex. There are slightly cheaper models available if you don't want some of those features.

The only criticism I have is that the scanner is just adequate (though it can be improved by playing with the settings). It is more than good enough for documents including those with colour graphics, but photo scanning isn't as good as the cheap HP AIO it replaced.
RadixLecti is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 17:20   #402
BHPian

I'm adding my experience with the Canon 3010 ink tank printer.

I bought the printer to help with my son's homework during the initial lockdown period. Shortly after buying the printer, I decided to go to Trivandrum till the lockdown ends. As a result, the printer ended up spending 6+ months without any action. Luckily, it seems to have endured that inactive time. Works fine, and I have tried printing color photos and black documents.

Looks like the ink doesn't dry up fast like an inkjet printer. I could have been lucky, but I'm definitely happy that the printer exceeded expectations.
KL01toKA03 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2021, 19:44   #403
Senior - BHPian

To the person contemplating the G3000, the G3000 can print photo quality prints and I bought some glossy paper and a few photo frames of amazon. My wife and I have also created an anniversary scrap book with our photo memories.

It does borderless high quality photo printing and I cannot find a difference between what we print at home and from the studio. Ofcourse the quality of the source photo does matter.

This is the link to the photo paper that I bought
https://www.amazon.in/KODAK-Glossy-U...dp/B07BZ5G69V/

This is the link to the photo frame
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07QQT1BTC/
govigov is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th February 2021, 08:32   #404
BHPian

Bought the G3000 post reading through this thread. Compact footprint and good performance for taking care of online class assignments etc. Color reproduction isnt the greatest, but goof enough for these amateur use cases. I have exclusively been printing through Canon android and apple apps across various devices. Flawless. Also very easy to self set-up.
Old 16th March 2021, 10:58   #405
BHPian

Hi Folks - My old HP D1560 inkjet printer has stopped working. Not keen on getting it repaired as it is very old and not economical for my usage pattern.

Hence need suggestions for a basic laser printer.

Requirements are:
  • Will be used once or twice a month to print a maximum of 30 pages.
  • Colour printing not required.
  • The laser cartridge should be refillable.
  • Should be fuss free and print without issues after 2 to 3 weeks of non usage.
  • Other options like WiFi connectivity, scanning and copying not required.

Do let me know which makes/models are currently the best for these requirements.

Thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks