Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2020, 08:35   #301
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for printers

Need help in finding a photo printer for domestic use, mostly portraits / family photos.

Budget would be max 50K, but if something worth is available at 20 or 25 then why not. Cost per print should be on the lower side if something like that is feasible.

Thanks .
Old 2nd June 2020, 09:14   #302
Senior - BHPian

A word of caution on cheap refills. Printer ink refills by Cartridge world damaged my unit. While the cartridge caked, the printer has few colour runs. It was cleaned thoroughly and now is somewhat working. I will never refill a cartridge again.
Old 5th June 2020, 22:56   #303
Senior - BHPian

The USB port at the back of my Epson printer has live electricity. The printer works fine when connected but I just realised that the USB C port has live electricity.

The main plug of the printer is a 2-pin socket, but the it seems to be grounding through my laptops grounding line. I suspect this is NOT ideally the right way it should work and I don't want to damage my laptop.

Wondering how to deal with this. I have a wild guess this could've been one of the reason my previous laptop SSD died, so I don't want to ignore it.
Old 5th June 2020, 23:30   #304
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Need help in finding a photo printer for domestic use, mostly portraits / family photos.

Budget would be max 50K, but if something worth is available at 20 or 25 then why not. Cost per print should be on the lower side if something like that is feasible.

Thanks .
I found it to be a big hassle to keep the printer and supplies in ready-to-go state for occasional home usage. My usage is very infrequent and I tried both HP and EPSON inkjet printers. They just work on the day I put the new cartridges and when I try to print again after some gap, they throw some error like replace-cartridge, etc. Have had enough of this inkjet con job. I now have "HP LaserJet M1005 Multifunction Monochrome Laser Printer" for documents and "Canon Selphy" for postcard size photos. Great quality. My usage is very infrequent, they work flawlessly even after months without use. Hated those inkjet days - occasional users should completely avoid inkjet printers!
androdev is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 15:05   #305
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Home Printer - Where Cartridge does not dry out soon

Something in life should be easy like buying a printer for home usage. Alas it is not designed to be easy. More you read, more confused you become.

Reviving an old thread but I am faced with this conundrum. Need to buy a printer for home. The usage is minimal and sometimes there isn't going to be a print needed in more than a month. But when it is required, it becomes a hassle to request a neighbour at odd hours or wait for the shop to open the next day. Hence the decision to buy one.

I am looking for something that is compact in size and offers wireless connectivity options. A monochrome printer would also do as I cannot recall the last time when I required a colour print. Now apparently inkjet printers suffer from the dry ink issue and eventually cost the same as a laser printer? I can try and ensure that the printer is used once a week to ensure the ink doesn't dry up. Or even sooner than that as recommended.

Any recommendations? My budget is flexible but naturally I do not want to spend a fortune on it since it is going to be used occasionally.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2020, 15:42   #306
BHPian

Re: Home Printer - Where Cartridge does not dry out soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
Something in life should be easy..
I am looking for something that is compact in size and offers wireless connectivity options
Not answering your question directly , but two related inputs.

If your router supports a printer you can even consider a non wifi laser printer. Just hook it to the router via USB and configure it, you will be able to print via wifi, however it is a bit slow. Takes about 1 min for the printer to start.

I have an old HP Laserjet MF1136 (non wifi) works fine.
On the laser Toner I found that refilling does not give very good quality prints, However the last time it got over I used a "local compatible" toner , and these give perfect prints exact the same as an Original HP Toner.
Price of local compatible - 950/- Price of original HP Toner around 3k

That said a popular choice seems to be
HP Laserjet P1108 Single Function Monochrome Laser Printer
Fillmore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 09:50   #307
BHPian

I am looking for a home printer with the following requirements:

1. WiFi printing or wifi-direct
2. Confused between Inkjet and Laser (It will have heavy usage till school restarts, and very low usage of around 10 pages per month after that)
3. Low cost and easy availability of cartridge/toner
4. Print quality is not critical, since it will be primarily used to print documents.
5. Cost should be around 15k

Please help with your recommendations.
Old 24th June 2020, 10:12   #308
BHPian

You can look at Ink tank printers. They use ink in tanks rather than in cartridges. I have been using EPSON L6160 for past year and a half. Works well. Has Wifi printing as well.
Old 24th June 2020, 10:37   #309
BHPian

I ordered a Canon MF244DW multifunction laser printer from Amazon day before yesterday. Took delivery of the same today morning. This printer has wifi connectivity, duplex printing, automatic document feeder. It cost me Rs.20,000.

Will share my user experience after 7-10 days of usage.
Old 24th June 2020, 10:43   #310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsudarsan View Post
You can look at Ink tank printers. They use ink in tanks rather than in cartridges. I have been using EPSON L6160 for past year and a half. Works well. Has Wifi printing as well.
Thank you. What is the approximate cost of the cartridge/ink refill? Also, how does it have any issues if we do not take any prints for some time (say a month)
Old 24th June 2020, 22:13   #311
BHPian

After 14 years of service, my HP F370 all-in-one conked off with all lights blinking. Tried various checks and resets mentioned online. Later took it to a service center where it was confirmed that main control board was at fault. Didn't pursue further, especially because the ink price and availability is at a premium for the HP21/22.
Ordered a HP 3636 all-in-one wireless model through the HP estore with a 5% discount coupon. The coupon never appeared in the offers page, instead since I had left the product in the cart overnight, an email was received as a reminder along with the coupon.
Product was promptly delivered in 36 hours in good condition. The installation manual did not contain much information. Using the '123.hp.com/model' link the setup just took 5-10 minutes. The HP smart app is also very convenient to get stuff done via the phone. Overall seems like a decent entry level wireless all-in-one for basic home needs.

Last edited by sansvk : 24th June 2020 at 22:14.
sansvk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th June 2020, 23:48   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
Thank you. What is the approximate cost of the cartridge/ink refill? Also, how does it have any issues if we do not take any prints for some time (say a month)
For brother Ink tank I purchased yesterday 3 colour inks ( C, Y, M) for 1200/- Rs for the set. Each bottle has 48 ml ink for comparison cartridges have 4ml ink.

I have this printer for 4.5+ years and this is first time I am refilling ink. My Usage is as a normal all in one home printer.

I would suggest inktank with document feeder like Brother T700W or Epson inktank printer for your requirements.

Last edited by amitk26 : 24th June 2020 at 23:54.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 03:40   #313
Senior - BHPian

Impressive! How come the ink doesn't cake? Any tech used there?
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I have this printer for 4.5+ years and this is first time I am refilling ink. My Usage is as a normal all in one home printer
Old 25th June 2020, 07:40   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Impressive! How come the ink doesn't cake? Any tech used there?
No special tech used, Original Brother ink in ink tanks does not cake so easily maybe cheaper 3rd party inks could have that problem.

Mostly people mostly cite problems with ink based on experience with cartridges. I think the volume of ink may also have a role to play.

My printer remains plugged in and switched on always in standby mode. Many times printing frequency is as low as once a month.

A neighbor who used to deal in ink refills told me that printers automatically heats head and keep cleaning periodically. If printer is plugged out and stored for long it may create a problem.
amitk26 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 07:45   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL01toKA03 View Post
I am looking for a home printer with the following requirements:

1. WiFi printing or wifi-direct
2. Confused between Inkjet and Laser (It will have heavy usage till school restarts, and very low usage of around 10 pages per month after that)
3. Low cost and easy availability of cartridge/toner
4. Print quality is not critical, since it will be primarily used to print documents.
5. Cost should be around 15k

Please help with your recommendations.
Go for ink tank type printers. A decent all in one like Canon G3000 will cost around 12k, and for 15k-16k you could probably have the version that can do both sides printing.

Don't buy inkjets. Waste of money they are.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks