Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2015, 13:55   #241
BHPian

re: Suggestions for printers

Hello all, need suggestion as to which printer to buy.

I'll be using it a home only.
Not very frequent prints.
Should be able to print usable colour prints(home photographs).
Able to produce good resolution scanned copy.
Cheap to buy and maintain.
Old 18th October 2015, 15:19   #242
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Suggestions for printers

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamahunter View Post
Not very frequent prints.
If you buy an inkjet printer, which you probably will because they are relatively cheap, you must use it regularly, or it will cost you a fortune in thrown-away dried-up ink cartridge/print-heads.

I got fed up with this and bought a laser printer. Much more expensive (even for black only) but it always works, whether it was last used six minutes or six months ago.
Old 18th February 2016, 19:42   #243
BHPian

WIFI Printing

Hi,

I have a non wifi enabled printer with me a Samsung ML 2160, it has USB though,I want to enable WIFI based printing on it.

I understand that it is possible to connect a USB printer to the router and enable this, problem is I don't have a USB port in my router :(.

I do have a western digital MyCloud mirror NAS which is connected through RJ45 to the Router, this NAS has a USB port, was wondering if someone has ever managed to enable this?

Is it possible to do this directly with the router by some USB to RJ 45 adaptor?

Regards
Shailesh
Old 18th February 2016, 22:44   #244
BHPian

Re: WIFI Printing

Do you mean something like this ?

http://www.amazon.in/Technotech-100M...8-9211ee4b2cf1

You can try a RJ45 LAN cable to connect the two devices but I don't know how the printer will need to be configured and show up as a device on your system.

These links may also help:

http://www.ricksdailytips.com/conver...r-to-wireless/

Old 19th February 2016, 08:19   #245
BHPian

Re: WIFI Printing

It should usually be possible to do this with NAS. However with stock firmware it may be challenging, unless luckily it is already supported. Your nas must be having admin interface where you can find the details (typically http://<nasip>). If not supported, you may have to look for firmware that supports it and then configure the same.

Another solution could be to use a low cost and tiny device like Raspberry Pi (or equivalent). Make sure that your printer is supported on software like cups.

In both above options (nas or raspberry) it is better to ensure that the printer does not draw any power from the usb as these devices won't be able to supply power. (Usually a printer won't load the host.)
Old 3rd July 2016, 10:21   #246
BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

Hi Friends,
Need suggestion on paper to be used with inkjet printer.

I have short-listed Multi-Function printer HP-4535 (Inkjet, Color, Wireless, Automatic Duplex Printing). Yet to purchase though.

I wanted to understand what paper should be used for Inkjet printing. What GSM? As per JK paper site, we should go with JK Copier Plus 80GSM.

Let me know what brand and GSM of paper do you use for printing? I intend to buy a ream of 500 papers. Thanks.
Old 3rd July 2016, 16:23   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

One ream equals how many quires? . Even I have forgotten!

For ordinary printing, any sort of copier paper will do fine. If you want to print photos, or anything else, on glossy paper or card, then you should make sure that it is made for inkjets.
Old 3rd July 2016, 19:26   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

After great hesitation bought non HP printer after a long long time. Canon E560 MFD turned out to be quite good both price and output wise
Old 3rd July 2016, 20:50   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
One ream equals how many quires? . Even I have forgotten!
If I am not wrong, a Ream consists of 500 sheets and a Quire contains 25 sheets.

After some R&D I decided to go with 80 GSM paper for ordinary day to day print outs. However, I have kept this research aside after my friend who has been using Inkjet for last 4 years asked me to go with BILT Image Copier 70 GSM Ream. I will try that out first.

Last edited by Simhi : 3rd July 2016 at 20:51. Reason: spelling correction
Old 3rd July 2016, 23:23   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
If I am not wrong, a Ream consists of 500 sheets and a Quire contains 25 sheets.

After some R&D I decided to go with 80 GSM paper for ordinary day to day print outs. However, I have kept this research aside after my friend who has been using Inkjet for last 4 years asked me to go with BILT Image Copier 70 GSM Ream. I will try that out first.
This is from memory of things rather old... a quire is 24 sheets and 20 quires make a stationer's ream, which has probably not been heard of in a decade or three. These days we all assume the printer's ream of 500 sheets, and if we ever think about a quire, then 25 sheets.

The weight of the paper affects only the feel of the finished item. A printer may have a range of weights that it can deal with (eg not so heavy it won't bend around the rollers) but, within reason You wouldn't want your ink drops soaking through!) it won't make a difference. So don't sweat the gsm!

Something that you should sweat: use your printer at least once every few days. Otherwise they dry up and the absurdly expensive cartridges become throwaway items however much ink is in them. This applies to every colour, so, if even if you are printing black on white correspondence every day, print something using all colours, even if it only a test sheet, at least once a week.

I speak from bitter experience of inkjet printers costing me a fortune through lack of use! That's why I went for a mono laser: the cartridge lasts me a couple of years, and doesn't mind if I don't even turn it on for three months.
Old 4th July 2016, 00:08   #251
BHPian

Quote:
. That's why I went for a mono laser: the cartridge lasts me a couple of years, and doesn't mind if I don't even turn it on for three months.

Which printer did you get? I've had trouble with inkjet too. Forgetting to print was a costly affair.
Old 4th July 2016, 05:58   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Something that you should sweat: use your printer at least once every few days. Otherwise they dry up and the absurdly expensive cartridges become throwaway items however much ink is in them. This applies to every colour, so, if even if you are printing black on white correspondence every day, print something using all colours, even if it only a test sheet, at least once a week.
Thanks. Yes. I read through all post of yours in this thread and had short-listed HP 4535 Inkjet MFP Color and HP 1136 MFP Mono (Max budget of 10k)

I tried convincing my spouse to go with Laser and take color print out from outside as and when required. But 2 things turned the decision in her favor - One not to go outside to get color print outs, second our TCO calculation showed that for printing around 5000 pages over life span of 7 years, inkjet was marginally cheaper (considering initial investment and toner/cartridge cost for 5000 pages)

This being our first printer, she took the call to go with inkjet and wait for Laser Color to come down further in next few years.

Yes, I will follow your advice of printing at least one black and color page per week.
Old 4th July 2016, 08:52   #253
Senior - BHPian

Hi guys,
I'm trying to connect my printer to the home network, but device isn't discoverable on my laptop.

What to do, pls help

Router : ASUS N13U B1
Printer : HP 'Deskjet' All in one

Suggestions for printers-screenshot_20160704085433_com.android.chrome_1467602754449.jpg

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 4th July 2016 at 08:59.
Old 5th July 2016, 00:51   #254
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry, I don't know how to make your printer work on the network.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinhead View Post
Which printer did you get? I've had trouble with inkjet too. Forgetting to print was a costly affair.
I have a Brother printer; the odel is no longer available. Its build quality feels like an office machine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post
I tried convincing my spouse ...
TCO in practice and theory may not be the same. Only the future will tell. I do occasionally miss being able to print in colour.
Old 5th July 2016, 11:17   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't use my inkjet much. It might sit idle for weeks at a time, but in all these years I have never had problems of 'drying up' as reported by other members. I always use original cartridges

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks