Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2019, 10:00   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suggestions for printers

Guys, please suggest a wireless mono chrome laser printer.
I have been unsuccessfully searching for this combination. I am getting wireless + inktank or laser + USB connectivity.
Old 4th October 2019, 14:25   #287
BHPian

Anyone knows a good shop to buy a toner cartridge online?
Old 25th November 2019, 20:27   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
By the way: third-party toner cartridges and refills do work, but the ones I have had have not printed as well or as cleanly as the branded ones.
Okay, time for consultations again. I just got a message that my printer is running low on the toner. So what is the recommended action? Refill or buy a new cartridge?
Old 26th November 2019, 01:15   #289
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
... Refill or buy a new cartridge?
Just... buy a new, original brand, cartridge!
Old 26th November 2019, 09:27   #290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Just... buy a new, original brand, cartridge!
Thank you. Ordered it from Amazon. Cost 2590/-. The old one lasted me 14 months. And no drying issues.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:11   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I need a printer for business use which means printing around 20-30 invoices per month. I use an accounting software called quickbooks and need the printer to be iphone friendly so that I can print just using my iphone.
I think time to share an update.

I bought Epson's L130 around 2 months back (for 6900/-) and couldn't be more happy. While it doesn't have the WiFi feature but USB connectivity isn't too bad.

The print quality is great and decently quick given that I only print invoices.

Ink Tank printers are great for small business use.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:44   #292
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I think time to share an update.

I bought Epson's L130 around 2 months back (for 6900/-) and couldn't be more happy. While it doesn't have the WiFi feature but USB connectivity isn't too bad.
If you have a spare Android phone, take print outs directly using a USB OTG and the PrinterShare app. Been using this way for the last 3 years and since then never needed a computer for printing.

Note: Install the Printershare app trial version, then you should see if the app supports the Printer. Only then should you purchase the app. Costs around 100INR for lifetime use.
Old 20th December 2019, 13:48   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya_Bhp View Post
If you have a spare Android phone, take print outs directly using a USB OTG and the PrinterShare app. Been using this way for the last 3 years and since then never needed a computer for printing.

Note: Install the Printershare app trial version, then you should see if the app supports the Printer. Only then should you purchase the app. Costs around 100INR for lifetime use.
Thanks a lot for this!

I have an iPhone at the moment but would be getting an Android most likely next month, this'd be super helpful then!
Old 22nd May 2020, 17:22   #294
BHPian

Need suggestion for a printer. This is primarily for printing my kids worksheets. And I would like to print some A4 sized photos too. I would want to print directly from mobile, so Wifi is a must and would like document scanning/copying too.

The number of prints I would make won't be much - probably about 500 to 1000 pages max in a year.

I really liked the Canon G3000 (12K) for its print quality and low printing costs. But I wonder whether getting an ink tank printer justifies the low usage. But my greatest concern is whether the ink would cake since the ink would remain in the tank for about 3-4 years.

Am also looking at the very popular HP 4729 (8.8K) which has reasonable printing costs; but the cartridge (HP 46) seems to be a rare one.

Then there is a much cheaper HP 3636 (5.7K), which has higher printing costs, but a ubiquitous cartridge (HP 680) and low price. But not sure how the photo quality is.

Please advise.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:20   #295
Senior - BHPian

We have the HP 3636. Always stick to the popular choice as consumables are easy to come by. It's reliable and prints well (haven't see the Canon G3000 results to compare). But, we didn't use it for 6 months and the cartridge has caked. So this caking happens, regardless of brand. I'm concerned the printer head is jammed and will take it for cleaning once the shop opens. The printer is reliable and should be adequate for school projects.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:24   #296
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Need suggestion for a printer. This is primarily for printing my kids worksheets. And I would like to print some A4 sized photos too. I would want to print directly from mobile, so Wifi is a must and would like document scanning/copying too.

The number of prints I would make won't be much - probably about 500 to 1000 pages max in a year.

I really liked the Canon G3000 (12K) for its print quality and low printing costs. But I wonder whether getting an ink tank printer justifies the low usage. But my greatest concern is whether the ink would cake since the ink would remain in the tank for about 3-4 years.

Am also looking at the very popular HP 4729 (8.8K) which has reasonable printing costs; but the cartridge (HP 46) seems to be a rare one.

Then there is a much cheaper HP 3636 (5.7K), which has higher printing costs, but a ubiquitous cartridge (HP 680) and low price. But not sure how the photo quality is.

Please advise.
Some tips: for low usage, but a printer that has the nozzles on the cartridge. That way, the worst case is you replace a cartridge (versus replacing the print head also).

Always leave the printer ON permanantly. This wil let the printer manage the cartridges sometimes eating a little ink but keeps the nozzles open.

I have a hp 3700 series printer and I get about 300 pages or so every black cartridge. Color prints are reasonable - quality wise. Would highly suggest the same for home/kids usage. Of course wifi print is a basic feature now a days.
deep_bang is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:38   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
We have the HP 3636. Always stick to the popular choice as consumables are easy to come by. It's reliable and prints well (haven't see the Canon G3000 results to compare). But, we didn't use it for 6 months and the cartridge has caked. So this caking happens, regardless of brand. I'm concerned the printer head is jammed and will take it for cleaning once the shop opens. The printer is reliable and should be adequate for school projects.
How is the photo quality of the 3636? I am not looking at 4x6 prints for the album, but A4 size ones for hanging on the wall. A little less sharpness is fine, but colors should be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Some tips: for low usage, but a printer that has the nozzles on the cartridge. That way, the worst case is you replace a cartridge (versus replacing the print head also).

Always leave the printer ON permanantly. This wil let the printer manage the cartridges sometimes eating a little ink but keeps the nozzles open.

I have a hp 3700 series printer and I get about 300 pages or so every black cartridge. Color prints are reasonable - quality wise. Would highly suggest the same for home/kids usage. Of course wifi print is a basic feature now a days.
Thank you.
Old 22nd May 2020, 18:44   #298
Senior - BHPian

Surprisingly good. You'll surely approve. For a school project we printed out some pretty awesome stuff. The cartridge is the nozzle variety and a dab of ispropyl alcohol should help me out of this jam, (was just reading).
Quote:
How is the photo quality of the 3636? I am not looking at 4x6 prints for the album, but A4 size ones for hanging on the wall. A little less sharpness is fine, but colors should be good. Thank you.
Old 22nd May 2020, 21:30   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Surprisingly good. You'll surely approve. For a school project we printed out some pretty awesome stuff. The cartridge is the nozzle variety and a dab of ispropyl alcohol should help me out of this jam, (was just reading).
Great! Another question:

Internet says page yields are calculated @5% paper surface coverage. The HP 680 color cartridge promises a 150 page yield. That is fine for normal printing. But for photos, the coverage is almost 100% right? By that calculation the yield would only be 7.5 pages. Is that a realistic number? What is your experience?
Old 22nd May 2020, 22:47   #300
Senior - BHPian

Hi, while I did manage to get over 120-150 page yield, for photos I'm handing it over to an amazing printing guy at Festival City Mall, Dubai. But yes hi-quality pictures could number very very less, could be 7-8 (moreover you need to use special coated paper for great results, and they're very expensive). So like I said this is used purely for my kids projects, and economy of pages count a lot - and that's what it's used for. But do use it regularly, else it's just not worth it
Quote:
Great! Another question:Internet says page yields are calculated @5% paper surface coverage. The HP 680 color cartridge promises a 150 page yield. That is fine for normal printing. But for photos, the coverage is almost 100% right? By that calculation the yield would only be 7.5 pages. Is that a realistic number? What is your experience?
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks