Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2012, 19:45   #106
BANNED

re: Suggestions for printers

Any one can suggest an Multi function printer with lightscribe printing ? or anyone can suggest other canon printer ?

Last edited by unknown : 8th March 2012 at 20:00.
Old 22nd March 2012, 22:42   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

After a long time, I discovered a simple, basic mono laser printer with network (wired) connectivity and auto duplex printing. No frills, but has those two features I wanted . Oh, and, how can I forget, Linux drivers.

Brother HL2250-DN on Flipkart
@ Rs.7,899

I wouldn't say nothing could be simpler, but I had it networked, with a static IP, and accepting print jobs from two machines quite quickly, and I would have had it printing from Ubuntu a lot quicker if I'd remembered to reconnect the network cable after moving it into its final place <Blush>.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 22nd March 2012 at 22:45.
Old 23rd March 2012, 12:51   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
After a long time, I discovered a simple, basic mono laser printer with network (wired) connectivity and auto duplex printing. No frills, but has those two features I wanted . Oh, and, how can I forget, Linux drivers.

@ Rs.7,899

I wouldn't say nothing could be simpler, but I had it networked, with a static IP, and accepting print jobs from two machines quite quickly, and I would have had it printing from Ubuntu a lot quicker if I'd remembered to reconnect the network cable after moving it into its final place <Blush>.

That printer sure looks neat. Even the toner for it is priced around 1500 Rs. which is quite cheap compared to other brands. Do let us know how is your experience with the device in the future.
Old 23rd March 2012, 14:17   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

Another advantage: the toner and the drum are separate items, which should make for cheaper consumable costs.

Our reason for buying laser, odd though it may seem, is that we do very little printing. My excellent Canon Pixma died of under-use --- and I replaced the print head (cost over Rs4,000!) twice in the nine years I used it. A laser printer should not mind weeks and months of no use.

So far, I have had one problem: printing out an html mail attachment for an air ticket. It printed out fine from the Cleartrip site. I don't doubt that this is a Ubuntu-Linux problem, and not a reason to suspect the printer.

It prints faster than I expected. Even duplex printing is quite snappy. Text is fine, and the Ubuntu semitone test sheet looks quite good. The build seems solid: it is closer to the old Laserjets I used to work with than to a flimsy buy-cheap-spend-money-on-ink inkjet.

The only problem I had setting it up was lack of familiarity with the Ubuntu handling of a network printer. Brother provide drivers and instructions for Linux --- which is half a step ahead of some and two steps ahead of others --- but I still had some confusion.

We are not using any USB connection: all communication is ethernet. The Windows setup routine provides for both direct communication and use of a print server. Professional admin tools are available from Brother, and the printer can also be controlled/administered from a browser. It actually feels like they didn't leave anything out just because this is a home/small-office device

Simplicity and lack of facilities: There is no LCD screen. Communication is via a simple set of LEDs. There is no "control panel," just one button (which actually seems to serve no purpose other than to print test sheets). There are no card slots or ports to connect cameras etc. Who needs that stuff? I'm very satisfied that I spent my money on the couple of things that I did really need. It was hard to find auto-duplex and networking on a low-cost model.

My range of temptation ran as far as spending well over 20,000 on full colour. I'm glad I disciplined myself and stuck with the basics. Colour printing is nice to have, even for forms and stuff, but lasers are actually not as good as inkjets at photos, and the once-in-a-while photo might just as well be done by a print shop.

~

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 23rd March 2012 at 14:21.
Old 23rd March 2012, 15:01   #110
BHPian

@TEG : I agree, very occasional use of an inkjet kills the printer head and the cartridges.

part of the reason, i am looking for a laser myself, the occasional urgent printout of a ticket or an email.

I have a router with usb support for printing, so maybe the 2240D/ DCP 7055 ( WITH SCANNER) would work for me.

Last edited by babhishek : 23rd March 2012 at 15:04.
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:19   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

I liked the idea of an all-in-one, which could be used just like an office photocopier.

Why not? We have a scanner that works. Ubunbtu doesn't like it, but my wife is the one who does 99% scanning/copying, and it is fine attached to her Windows machine. It would have been a waste of money to buy the same functionality again, even though it would come with a bit of added convenience.
Old 23rd March 2012, 16:59   #112

At the outset let me introduce myself as a new member from Pune.

I would advice you all to stick to HP or Canon Laser Printers, they are the most widely used and procuring the cartridges is easy and so is refilling, before buying any printer please check if cartridges are easily available, Brother/Lexmark/Toshiba cartridges are not easily available, the guy who will be seliing you the printer is gonna paint a rosy picture, but before you buy just go around and check if the cartridge is available, you will be surprised to know that most of the dealers wont even know if Brother/Lexmark/Toshiba Printer exsists, forget about the consumables. Avoid Inkjets

Last edited by LOKSIN : 23rd March 2012 at 17:25.
Old 23rd March 2012, 22:48   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Too late for me!

But, before buying, I noticed a couple of things: one is that Flipkart are selling the cartridges for Brother, and the other is that one or two office-machinery suppliers around here are selling Brother kit.

One cartridge is going to last me months or more...
Old 24th March 2012, 09:58   #114

Another good option is to buy a entry level Brother all in one Inkjet printer can connect a Ink Tank ( popularly known as a CISS Kit).

One thing about Brother Inkjets, the entry level starts with a all in one printer, It has a provision to connect a CISS Kit directly, unlike a Epson Printer CISS Kit, which has to be connected with pipes and has a lot of problems as air gets sucked in quite often.

Cost of Brother Printer : 7500/-
Cost of CISS Kit : Rs 1500/-

The CISS Kit comes with 100 ml ink of each colour, and the per copy cost turns out to be 25 paise per colour print, subsequently you get a set of 100 ml ink at 600 per set, you can yourself refill it,
Old 24th March 2012, 14:50   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
One thing about Brother Inkjets, the entry level starts with a all in one printer, It has a provision to connect a CISS Kit directly
Amazing! Could this company actually be thinking of the customer, rather than its future returns on ink sales?

However, I doubt if I'd buy another inkjet, unless something unforeseen changes our requirements. We will always let them dry out through under-use. If I had much more money to spend, and wanted colour, there is a solid-ink technology which I would investigate.
Old 24th March 2012, 16:22   #116

For the benefit of guys thinking of buying a printer in the near future

Best Printer
Canon 2900B and HP 1020+

Best Printer+Scanner + Copier
Canon 4412 and HP 1136

Best Printer + Scanner + Copier + Fax
Canon 4450 and HP 1213nf

Please note Canon comes with 2 year warranty and regular full cartridge whereas HP comes with 1 year warranty and Half filled starter cartridge.

Inkjets : all are lousy and will drill a hole in your pockets, avoid them.
Old 24th March 2012, 18:17   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Basic printer - which one?]Another advantage: the toner and the drum are separate

LOKSIN, great, and thanks, but unless you give some detail and reasoning, it is like me saying, "Best car: VW Polo 1.6."
Quote:
just one button (which actually seems to serve no purpose other than to print test sheets).
Actually, the button does quite a lot!

I downloaded the documentation for the printer. A 150-page user manual (Yes, just one language!), with a separate volume for networking is really impressive, with full maintenance and trouble-shooting instructions. For real insomniacs, there is even 500 pages of printer control reference for programmers. I haven't seen this sort of thing since I used to have to buy it from HP, after spending several lakhs on a printer!
Old 4th July 2012, 18:45   #118
BHPian

Printer Requirement

I'm planning to buy a printer. The main usage will be printing worksheets for my daughter (class 1) and for my son (in another year). All this is going to be black and white printing. I have been able to check only 2 boxes -

1) It is going to be a Laser and not Ink jet. We want to keep the cost of long term ownership as low as possible and don't want the hassles associated with the Inkjets.

2) It is going to be a Monochrome. Requirement for Color printing is rare and can be economically taken care of by those in the market.

3) I first though of buying a Multi-funtion printer (Print, Scan, Copy) but realised that only 1 HP Printer (M1005) fits the bill. No choice really.

I have spoken to the local photocopier/printer shop and he has suggested that stick to HP and in there also look at 2 specific Toners - 12A & 88A as these are refill friendly.

I would like to hear from people on the forum who have experience of the sort that i have mentioned with Laser Printers.

Is HP really that good or the others (canon, samsung, brother) just not worth it?

Thanks..
Old 4th July 2012, 19:40   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowardly Lion

Is HP really that good or the others (canon, samsung, brother) just not worth it?

Thanks..
You can just close your eyes and buy a HP printer. Hassle free ownership and doorstep delivery of toners and also easy availability of toners and refills in the market. Unlike other companies which are sometimes difficult to get and end up being costlier. HP 1106 retails at 5350rs. You can get that. Or a bit higher model.
Why not opt for inkjet? My inkjets have usually worked out cheaper after i tweak the settings a bit like print quality, ink usage etc. What i dont like about laser printers is their warmup time. Especially Color laserjet.
And nowadays all in one inkjets retail at very cheap prices. About 3000 rs. And you get smaller cheaper cartridges plus scan functionality plus copy functionality. My black cartridge usually lasts me for 600 or more pages. My officejet printers also are similar except they offer a bigger scanner size.

Regards
Old 5th July 2012, 16:26   #120
BHPian

Quote:

@ Rs.7,899

Thanks to your review I've also decided to go in for 2250DN. There is no Laser printer in a similar price range that offers Automatic Duplex and Networking capabilities. I must say that HP missed a trick here and that Brother is not marketing their stuff well...

I asked Brother dealer to suggest a Print router so that I (and other computers in the house) may access this printer in wireless mode and I was suggested to look at D-Link's DPR-1061 3 PORT PRINT SERVER - D-Link 3 Port Print Server .
While surfing I came across RT-N13U Wireless-N300 Router - ASUS - Networks- ASUS RT-N13U
This Router can also work as a Print Server. The price for both these (D Link and Asus) is similar and that got me thinking.
I could actually pick up Asus instead of D-Link and use it as a Print server and a Repeater for the already existing wireless signal. Yes I admit that I have some dark areas in my house...!
Please correct my line of thinking in case I'm missing out on something.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks