Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2011, 14:02   #7846
Team-BHP Support

re: The Mobile Phone Thread - Queries, decisions, discussions all here

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
I have successfully installed my yahoo mail in my N8, but I am having problem with refiffmail and indiatimes mail. No mails are pulled from my rediff and indiatimes account.

uday
could be a problem with imap / smtp address settings in the mailbox. For yahoo, they are set by default. Are you sure they are set correctly for these 2 accounts?
Old 10th March 2011, 14:04   #7847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
could be a problem with imap / smtp address settings in the mailbox. For yahoo, they are set by default. Are you sure they are set correctly for these 2 accounts?
would you please be more specific, I am not a software guy.

uday
Old 10th March 2011, 14:07   #7848
BHPian

@rohan - Nokia C7 could fall in your price range in a couple of months. A friend picked up one for 16.5k last week. I think it should down to around to 15k by April-end.

You could also take a look at Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Nokia 5800 XM is still available at around 13k.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:30   #7849
Senior - BHPian

@udaydesai, for the popular mail services like Google, Yahoo etc., the phone software knows how to set the address of the server the phone should approach for reading mails (IMAP), as also for sending mails (SMTP). For the rediffmail and indiatimes mail accounts, your phone may not be able to do this directly. You may need to check the account settings (under which the server addresses are specified) to set it appropriately.
Old 10th March 2011, 14:36   #7850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
@udaydesai, for the popular mail services like Google, Yahoo etc., the phone software knows how to set the address of the server the phone should approach for reading mails (IMAP), as also for sending mails (SMTP). For the rediffmail and indiatimes mail accounts, your phone may not be able to do this directly. You may need to check the account settings (under which the server addresses are specified) to set it appropriately.
DerAlte - how do I proceed with the setting. do I have to check my setting on phone or on rediff account

uday
Old 10th March 2011, 14:58   #7851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udaydesai View Post
DerAlte - how do I proceed with the setting. do I have to check my setting on phone or on rediff account

uday
uday, you can get the settings from respective email sites. Please check in their FAQ or Support

Edit : Please check whether rediff & indiatimes provide free Pop3/imap access and if Yes, please check whether its enabled or not

Last edited by CRV2010 : 10th March 2011 at 15:02.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:14   #7852
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
LG Optimus One, would be a good bet. Meets most of your requirements.
Thanks for the suggestion, but IIRC it does not have front facing video camera. With 3G services (including video calling) already launched, I am not willing to compromise on this requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cesc View Post
@rohan - Nokia C7 could fall in your price range in a couple of months. A friend picked up one for 16.5k last week. I think it should down to around to 15k by April-end.

You could also take a look at Samsung Galaxy Ace.

Nokia 5800 XM is still available at around 13k.
Thanks for the reply. Same problem with Galaxy Ace, no video calling camera.

The price of C7 that you have mentioned - I hope that it is the price with bill and warranty, not grey market price.

C6-01 launch is also round the corner. I might as well wait for C6-01. It should be at least 2k cheaper to C7.

5800 XM has been removed from Nokia website, that's why I feel that its production has been stopped now. I will still consider this model if it is offered at a good discounted price.

Rohan
Old 10th March 2011, 15:22   #7853
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRV2010 View Post
uday, you can get the settings from respective email sites. Please check in their FAQ or Support

Edit : Please check whether rediff & indiatimes provide free Pop3/imap access and if Yes, please check whether its enabled or not
thx for your advice, Rediff does not provide free pop3.
uday
Old 10th March 2011, 15:25   #7854
BHPian

^^ Rohan - C7 price is with bill and warranty from a Nokia Priority Dealer. Also C6-01 has been launched at least 2 weeks ago. Available at Nokia Priority for around 15.5k. The phone looks a bit fat though . If Nokia is what you want then I still think you should wait a month or so for C7 prices to drop further. The phone looks good, feels solid and so far my friend has not reported any freezing issues with it.

Nokia website is not always up to date (in fact it lags behind market launches) so do not go by what they display online. 5800 XM is very much available in the market though I must say at 13k odd the phone doesn't make much sense.

Edit: Samsung Wave2 at 16.5k is not a bad choice either.

Last edited by Cesc : 10th March 2011 at 15:37.
Old 10th March 2011, 15:45   #7855
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Rohan - C7 price is with bill and warranty from a Nokia Priority Dealer. Also C6-01 has been launched at least 2 weeks ago. Available at Nokia Priority for around 15.5k. The phone looks a bit fat though. If Nokia is what you want then I still think you should wait a month or so for C7 prices to drop further. The phone looks good, feels solid and so far my friend has not reported any freezing issues with it.

Nokia website is not always up to date (in fact it lags behind market launches) so do not go by what they display online. 5800 XM is very much available in the market though I must say at 13k odd the phone doesn't make much sense.

Thanks a lot mate.

I will also check out the Nokia Priority dealers in Bangalore. Bangalore prices may be slightly different, but you have given a good idea about the prices.

You are right about 5800, it doesn't make sense at 13k. I'll drop it from my short-list.

Samsung Wave II is also a good option. Will consider it, thanks.

I am looking to buy the mobile in May (as a birthday gift to myself).
Hopefully the prices would come down by then.

Rohan
Old 10th March 2011, 16:30   #7856
Senior - BHPian

Oops, sorry! I tried it on my N8, it has rediffmail etc. already on the list of mail services, AND it does not allow (at least I couldn't locate) any facility to specify the server names/addresses (unlike WiMo devices, which are not the best example of user-friendliness). The blessed wizard on N8 takes away all such headaches.

Anyhow, there could be another possible problem - round-trip to server taking too long, or mail server taking too long to respond. Try setting the account when connected over WiFi. Try accessing rediffmail from the browser on the device first.
Old 10th March 2011, 17:35   #7857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Rohan - C7 price is with bill and warranty from a Nokia Priority Dealer. Also C6-01 has been launched at least 2 weeks ago. Available at Nokia Priority for around 15.5k. The phone looks a bit fat though . If Nokia is what you want then I still think you should wait a month or so for C7 prices to drop further. The phone looks good, feels solid and so far my friend has not reported any freezing issues with it.

Get Wave 2

Or the C6. It has everything the C7 has ( minus sleek looks,memory and slightly smaller screen). My colleague bought one last day.
Old 10th March 2011, 18:34   #7858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Get Wave 2

Or the C6. It has everything the C7 has ( minus sleek looks,memory and slightly smaller screen). My colleague bought one last day.
You mean C6-01, right ?

Even I am inclining towards this one. I am yet to see the phone in person, but its dimensions seem perfect to me. I am not a fan of long and ultra-slim phones like C7.

I wonder why Nokia has made these 2 models (C6-01 and C7) with such identical features apart from the shape and size.

Wave II is gorgeous, but again I don't like its shape - thin and long. Also, it seems too delicate for my usage.

Rohan
Old 10th March 2011, 20:36   #7859
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Wave II is gorgeous, but again I don't like its shape - thin and long. Also, it seems too delicate for my usage.

Rohan
It is not delicate. I have Wave I and is very solid unlike Galaxy. The outer body is made completely of metal. Don't go by the demo pieces, try to find actual phone in one of the Samsung shops and see for yourself.
Old 11th March 2011, 11:56   #7860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
It is not delicate. I have Wave I and is very solid unlike Galaxy. The outer body is made completely of metal. Don't go by the demo pieces, try to find actual phone in one of the Samsung shops and see for yourself.
Thanks for the reply, I will check out the Wave II also.

The reason I am apprehensive about Wave is that some member here reported that his Wave got badly damaged (had to replace the display, IIRC) after it fell on the floor from about waist height.

Most Nokia phones would not break if they fell from a similar height.

Rohan

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks