Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2023, 13:00   #2671
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
I am looking to extend coverage, existing setup consist of Airtel Xtreme coverage plan. The extra router/repeater is currently placed in the bedroom. I am moving my home office to another room which has poor coverage.

I intend to buy a router that can transmit up 300 mbps, this will be plugged into the main router and installed closer to the other bedroom.

Don't want to spend a lot of money since this will be a temporary setup. Any suggestions on router/repeater? Should be plug and play.
I understand that you are going to pull a cable from your main router. If yes, then go with this router from TP link and set it up in AP mode. If it is going to be wireless, achieving 300Mbps will be difficult.

TP-Link Archer AC1200 Archer C6 Wi-Fi Speed Up to 867 Mbps/5 GHz + 400Mbps/2.4 GHz, 5 Gigabit Ports, 4 External Antennas, MU-MIMO, Dual Band, WiFi Coverage with Access Point Mode, Black https://amzn.eu/d/hCoPnoz

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th October 2023 at 10:58. Reason: typos
atulsian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 11:01   #2672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to extend coverage, existing setup consist of Airtel Xtreme coverage plan. The extra router/repeater is currently placed in the bedroom. .....
I intend to buy a router that can transmit up 300 mbps, this will be plugged into the main router and installed closer to the other bedroom.
If there is a cable running between main router and this extender, almost any extender (around 2000 Rs) will do 300 mbps.

If not, is there a place that is somewhat in-between one of the routers and the room that provides internet speed of 300 mbps ? Ideally some place that has a power point and is visible form router as well as room.

In that case, some extender like this will easily do 300 mbps :

https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Extend...859M6P2C/?th=1
NetfreakBombay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:20   #2673
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

In that case, some extender like this will easily do 300 mbps :
Thank you! Can this be easily paired with Airtel black box? I would prefer wireless over wired, the cable will have to be routed over the walls and will be visible.

Any cheaper options available?
Old 11th October 2023, 12:08   #2674
BHPian

Quote:
I am looking to extend coverage, existing setup consist of Airtel Xtreme coverage plan. The extra router/repeater is currently placed in the bedroom. I am moving my home office to another room which has poor coverage.

Don't want to spend a lot of money since this will be a temporary setup. Any suggestions on router/repeater? Should be plug and play.
Try the Airtel mesh which is just 100 rupees rental per month. It can be installed in the other room and will be able to give good connection speed. If it's not upto your expectation you can cancel it anytime. Refundable deposit of Rs.1000 is needed.

My main airtel router is in the 2nd floor and I use this Airtel mesh in first floor for a desktop computer and for my parents' mobiles with no compaints.
Old 13th October 2023, 21:57   #2675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! Can this be easily paired with Airtel black box?
Yes, can be paired with any WiFi router. There are cheaper ones as well, starting form ~2k. Speed will reduce with those (due to chipset and radio. config), you can try if any of those work. Try to get AC1200 or better. Example : https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-RE305-...dp/B01MD1SKLL/
Old 16th October 2023, 21:15   #2676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Try the Airtel mesh which is just 100 rupees rental per month. It can be installed in the other room and will be able to give good connection speed. If it's not upto your expectation you can cancel it anytime. Refundable deposit of Rs.1000 is needed.

My main airtel router is in the 2nd floor and I use this Airtel mesh in first floor for a desktop computer and for my parents' mobiles with no compaints.
Already have this in one bedroom. The coverage from this additional device is mediocre at its best, also - the device will keep hunting for the main router every few hours.

Quote:
Yes, can be paired with any WiFi router. There are cheaper ones as well, starting form ~2k. Speed will reduce with those (due to chipset and radio. config), you can try if any of those work. Try to get AC1200 or better. Example : https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-RE305-...dp/B01MD1SKLL/
I have placed the order for AC1200. Thank you for all the help.
Old 16th October 2023, 21:58   #2677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Already have this in one bedroom. The coverage from this additional device is mediocre at its best....

I have placed the order for AC1200. Thank you for all the help.
You might have to find a spot that is between router and bedroom. If signal is already bad in that bedroom, adding an extender will provide very marginal improvement.
Old 21st October 2023, 09:00   #2678
Team-BHP Support

I have a pair of AX-1800 Deco X20. My main modem (Jio) gives me internet connection but of late, Deco's LED is red. Have tried to change cable / port but to no avail. What can be wrong here?

Any help will be appreciated as Deco's used to give me a seamless connectivity almost everywhere in my house which main modem & an additional one did not provide.
Old 21st October 2023, 10:48   #2679
BHPian

Quote:
You might have to find a spot that is between router and bedroom. If signal is already bad in that bedroom, adding an extender will provide very marginal improvement.
Hey. Extender is for home office. So now I have one main Airtel router, airtel's mesh in the bedroom and extender in the opposite side of the mesh in the hall next to office. I am getting a little over 120 mbps which is working great, so far!
sinharishi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 20:16   #2680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I have a pair of AX-1800 Deco X20. My main modem (Jio) gives me internet connection but of late, Deco's LED is red.
This is a common problem. First step for troubleshooting is :
  1. Does the problem go away if deco is restarted ? (Deco sees internet after restart)
  2. If it does , enable auto-restart everyday. It can be set for 2AM or any other time when WiFi being off for 5 minutes does not matter. https://www.tp-link.com/no/support/faq/3478/
Old 7th November 2023, 11:50   #2681
BHPian

Hey folks,

So I recently upgraded my archaic Wifi 5 router from my ISP to an 802.11ax (Wifi 6) router from Asus. While the router works functions fine and fulfils all my requirements, I'm not able to update the firmware (via OTA). I've tried it via the Asus router app, the routers dasboard but it fails to update. Can anyone help me with this?
Old 7th November 2023, 13:03   #2682
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Hey folks,

So I recently upgraded my archaic Wifi 5 router from my ISP to an 802.11ax (Wifi 6) router from Asus. While the router works functions fine and fulfils all my requirements, I'm not able to update the firmware (via OTA). I've tried it via the Asus router app, the routers dasboard but it fails to update. Can anyone help me with this?
Hey, ISP provided routers can only be upgraded by the ISP.
Mind sharing the model number of the router?
Usually ISPs lock this functionality even if a similar model is available off the shelf.
Old 7th November 2023, 13:08   #2683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Hey, ISP provided routers can only be upgraded by the ISP.
Mind sharing the model number of the router?
Usually ISPs lock this functionality even if a similar model is available off the shelf.
I am also using the ISP provided router as it also functions as the ONT, so it provides the internet to Asus. A.ll the other functions have been relegated to the Asus.

The model is Asus AX1800hp. Forgot to add the model name, sorry��

Last edited by subie_socal : 7th November 2023 at 13:09. Reason: Grammar oopsie
Old 7th November 2023, 13:36   #2684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
I am also using the ISP provided router as it also functions as the ONT, so it provides the internet to Asus. A.ll the other functions have been relegated to the Asus.

The model is Asus AX1800hp. Forgot to add the model name, sorry��
Hey man, if it has ONT built in, difficult to upgrade. Contact your ISP directly.

I tried searching for custom firmware - no luck.

What you could do is buy a standalone ONT, get a router and then spoof the ONT into thinking this is ISP Provided ONT. Since you mentioned you are happy with the router, why bother.
Old 7th November 2023, 13:50   #2685
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxskllr View Post
Hey man, if it has ONT built in, difficult to upgrade. Contact your ISP directly.

I tried searching for custom firmware - no luck.

What you could do is buy a standalone ONT, get a router and then spoof the ONT into thinking this is ISP Provided ONT. Since you mentioned you are happy with the router, why bother.

I have no problems accessing the internet and stuff. Its that something goes wrong when trying to update the firmware. Mind you, this via the OTA update from Asus themselves.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks