Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2022, 22:49   #2551
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
Thanks for mentioning that. I am hunting for a mesh wifi to use in my new house that i am building and didn't have a clue about which would be the most effective solution.
You should probably consider WiFi6 products from Ubiquiti (https://store-ui.in). Their devices 'mesh' by default and work fabulously especially if you use their UniFi domes. Given you are building a new house, you can get the Cat6e cabling at strategic points in the roof to mount these domes (you can buy with aesthetic skins to meld with the interior decor as needed).

Do note that their Access Points are just that - you will need a separate router + dhcp server that will work behind the scenes for your network. Also, unlike the run of the mill routers, you cannot 'login' to the device and administer the network - you'll need to use the UniFi Console app running on a computer to do the job.

For instance, I have 2 fibers (Airtel and ACT) terminating at my home office desk. They are fed into a Ubiquiti Edgerouter-x which acts as the load-balance + failover + DHCP server. It also has a PoE passthrough port that powers the Ubiquiti UniFi AC-LR and another eth cable going to the living room to a PoE injector that in turn powers an Access Point In-Wall. The best part is the whole house sees one SSID for both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands and the devices negotiate seamlessly across the APs and bands.

I have been using their products for a couple of years now. They are expensive, but well worth it for the stability they provide.
amavin is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 01:51   #2552
BHPian

Folks, I have a strange problem and need a solution soon.
My apartment has internal wiring for internet . The provider terminates in a modem which is inside a switch box at the entrance of the apartment.
There is internal lan cabling (cat6) to all the rooms.

Problem statement: I have an Airtel connection of 300mbps. I also have a pair of deco M4 routers. When I connect the Lan cable directly to the main router, I get speed of 300mbps+ . However, as soon as I go to another room and connect the Lan, it gives 100mbps only. Initially, the lan direct to laptop from Airtel router ( for testing) was giving 100mbps. As soon as I changed the ethernet settings in laptop to 1gbps full duplex, it started giving full speed. I did the same on other rooms as well, but speed wont go above 90 Mbps. What can be the problem ? Cross standards (a/b) of rj45 crimping ? The crimping was done by the airtel guy, who did not seem to know much about networking.

So the Airtel router is giving around 100mbps to my Deco mesh master , and hence it is not able to give more than 20 Mbps to the slave m4

Last edited by adg_andy : 15th February 2022 at 01:52.
Old 15th February 2022, 09:21   #2553
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
When I connect the Lan cable directly to the main router, I get speed of 300mbps+ . However, as soon as I go to another room and connect the Lan, it gives 100mbps only.
There can be a few issues that can cause this. Crimping is one of them. 1 Gbps needs all 8 wires in the cable to work. Even if 1 fails, connection will drop to 100 mbps.

To resolve, you need a cable tester so that you can test continuity on all 8 wires Or you can have some IT shop do that for you (and crimp it as well if needed) .

Another possibility is a defect in one of the ports in Airtel's modem + router (I assume that cables from the rooms are connected to the modem/router).
NetfreakBombay is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2022, 19:53   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post

Another possibility is a defect in one of the ports in Airtel's modem + router (I assume that cables from the rooms are connected to the modem/router).
This is ruled out- I have plugged into each port and the speed shows 300+ Mbps.. the most educated guess is the wire.. thanks for the idea of line tester
Old 16th February 2022, 19:35   #2555
BHPian

Hi - I recently purchased a TP Link AX20 WiFi 6 router and connected it to my Airtel router by ethernet cable. But in my laptop, the network connection symbol looks like it's not connected to internet and Wifi status also says 'No Internet' but it actually is connected and I'm able to work. How to fix this?
Old 16th February 2022, 21:59   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by emkay.india View Post
Wifi status also says 'No Internet' but it actually is connected and I'm able to work. How to fix this?
Its a known issue with Windows. In some scenarios, windows fails to detect network connection.

How does it detect :
  1. sends a DNS query that should resolve 131.107.255.255
  2. tries to read http://www.msftncsi.com/ncsi.txt

If some parental security or filtering is enabled; this detection does not always work.

Sometimes, restart and/or disable+enable connection is needed to force retest.

As a workaround, you can change detection server to google or something. Most routers will ensure that at least google is accessible.

HowTo :
NetfreakBombay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 13:46   #2557
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I have a TP Link WR841N 1000 Rs Wifi Router which I have been using almost for 7 years. My home is small 700 sq ft & the one router was strong enough to connect in all rooms with my earlier laptop/phones. But 4 years back, I got a Dell Laptop. Dells use the Qualcomm Wifi card which I think is just not good enough. The Dell Laptop gets very low signal in one corner of one of the rooms. So I purchased a Netgear N300 Wifi Extender (around 800-900 Rs) & it seemed to work fine for a few years. Now the extender is acting up & I am wondering if I should purchase a new extender or should I buy a stronger router itself? I love the TP-Link router - it has lasted 8 years & even with one of the 2 antennas cracked & unable to be erect, it just works fine. Also, it once had water go inside it for many days & still performed great. So whatever I buy it's going to be a TP-Link product - either a new stronger signal router or a TP-Link extender. So how would I be able to figure out if a new router I buy is strong enough for the weak Qualcomm Wifi card on my Dell Laptop?
Old 16th July 2022, 13:52   #2558
BHPian

Recently we switched to Airtel fiber connection, and they replaced the existing router with a new one. You may want to check if a plan change may help you get a new router for free.
Old 16th July 2022, 14:02   #2559
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
Recently we switched to Airtel fiber connection, and they replaced the existing router with a new one. You may want to check if a plan change may help you get a new router for free.
No, my cable internet provider doesn't provide any routers.
Old 16th July 2022, 15:53   #2560
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

i have been using these excellent TP Link Mesh Network cylinders for a year and a half now.
Paired to ACT Cable Internet.
Currently have 3 TP link cylinders - 1 placed upstairs and 2 downstairs and am going to add another 2 more in the house for even better and seamless performance.
Am also using one standard small TP Link repeater /booster which exclusively provides internet feeds to my home security cameras.
I am a total convert to the mesh network advantages.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 16:22   #2561
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
i have been using these excellent TP Link Mesh Network cylinders for a year and a half now.
Paired to ACT Cable Internet.
Currently have 3 TP link cylinders - 1 placed upstairs and 2 downstairs and am going to add another 2 more in the house for even better and seamless performance.
Am also using one standard small TP Link repeater /booster which exclusively provides internet feeds to my home security cameras.
I am a total convert to the mesh network advantages.
How big is your house? 2 satellites cover a 3000sqft home very well. Macbooks have a wireless sniffer that can be used to look at RSSI, collisions in channels, using Wireshark. If that's how you concluded about extending mesh, then
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2022, 23:17   #2562
BANNED

Mesh would be total overkill for me. I live in a flat & not a very big one - just 700 odd sq feet.
Old 17th July 2022, 15:26   #2563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
flat ... 700 odd sq feet.
A powerful router + Extender (To support the laptop) should be good enough.
  1. What is the speed of internet connection (Is it 300 mbps or higher)
  2. What is your budget (Say up to 2k , 5k or more)
  3. An alternative is to just upgrade the WiFi component in Laptop or Attach a WiFI dongle. Like : https://www.amazon.in/TP-Link-Archer...dp/B07M69276N/
Old 17th July 2022, 15:47   #2564
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GutsyGibbon View Post
How big is your house? 2 satellites extending mesh, then
Its a house with multiple levels. I work on either of the two terrace roofs sometimes. Plus there are walls and things inside the house which impede signal. Even though this is that ACT Storm thing. With plenty of speed and lots of GBs of data.

Most of the time, internet is needed in the main living areas with about 3-4 concurrent users at all times. Ipads, Laptops, mobiles, TV’s / FireSticks.

For all the common areas and the bedrooms so far the present 3 cylinder mesh seems to suffice.

But I wanted greater efficiency and more seamlessness hence thought two more cylinders will help.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 16:11   #2565
BANNED

Quote:
A powerful router + Extender (To support the laptop) should be good enough.
If the router is powerful, would I still need an extender? My other laptop which seems to have a non-Qualcomm Wifi card works fine even without the extender.
What's the immediate next level router I can get from TP-Link?

Quote:
  1. What is the speed of internet connection (Is it 300 mbps or higher)
No, it's only 50 mbps.

I don't have a speed issue. Even 15 mpbs is more than sufficient for my needs. My problem is that this one particular laptop doesn't connect from the other room. My other laptop & the phone connects just fine even without the extender?

Most Viewed