Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2020, 01:24   #1801
BHPian
 
diyguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 445
Thanked: 306 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
My secondary router, ie. the router that I used to extent the Wi-Fi reception in the other corner of the house is acting up the past 3-4 days.
There could be some channel clash on the wifi with a neighbour. Try changing the broadcast frequency and see if that helps.
Have you checked ipconfig to see if you are receiving an IP from the main router? There are a few other things you should check like does the main router show this router to be one of the connected clients during this time? If this is a wireless repeater, change its position to be closer to the main router.
If it is a wired to the main router take the ethernet cable from the main router into a laptop and see if that is working.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 14:32   #1802
BHPian
 
_chikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Puttur - B'lore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Anyone using a dedicated UPS or power back up for router? There were some in Amazon for tplink. Please suggest if anyone knows better ones. Anyway buying it now is out of question.
_chikku is offline  
Old 4th April 2020, 16:30   #1803
BHPian
 
drive_angry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: CH04-HR26-MH12
Posts: 199
Thanked: 188 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Anyone using a dedicated UPS or power back up for router?
I have been using this with my Nokia Router that came as a packaged deal with Airtel FTTH connection. The UPS is pretty old and I used to use this with my desktop-PC but after close to 3 years of purchase, it still gives me about 40-45 mins of an uninterrupted power supply when I use this with my router

Last edited by drive_angry : 4th April 2020 at 16:35. Reason: corrected typos
drive_angry is offline  
Old 4th April 2020, 17:11   #1804
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,120
Thanked: 13,316 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

I get enough hours out of the household inverter, and don't use a dedicated UPS for my computer system and router any longer.
Thad E Ginathom is online now  
Old 4th April 2020, 18:03   #1805
BHPian
 
_chikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Puttur - B'lore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive_angry View Post
I have been using this with my Nokia Router that came as a packaged deal with Airtel FTTH connection. The UPS is pretty old and I used to use this with my desktop-PC but after close to 3 years of purchase, it still gives me about 40-45 mins of an uninterrupted power supply when I use this with my router
Oh that's a pretty big one for router. I was looking for something like this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B011UPEL4O/..._LYhIEbA44DVZV


Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I get enough hours out of the household inverter, and don't use a dedicated UPS for my computer system and router any longer.
Thad, I don't have a UPS but have apartment DG as power back up. We face lot of power failure rather switch over for just 1 ot 2 minutes and DG takes about 30 seconds to power up. We lose power again when DG switches over to mains. So my router and repeater goes On and Off both times. Hence the requirement of back up for router.
_chikku is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:36   #1806
Team-BHP Support
 
Chetan_Rao's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,208
Thanked: 10,188 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Oh that's a pretty big one for router. I was looking for something like this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B011UPEL4O/..._LYhIEbA44DVZV..
The Resonate one you linked works well, a colleague has it for a year+ now. I'm planning on getting one for same reasons as you (power backup delays), plus a USB speakerphone for concalls once Amazon opens back up for regular sales.
Chetan_Rao is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 21:37   #1807
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 9,120
Thanked: 13,316 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Oh that's a pretty big one for router. I was looking for something like this.
https://www.amazon.in/dp/B011UPEL4O/..._LYhIEbA44DVZV
OK, so this is for the router only, and not supplying mains power for anything like a PC? If you only need to keep wifi going, it looks like a nice idea. Amazon is not showing prices at the moment... how much is it?
Quote:
Thad, I don't have a UPS but have apartment DG as power back up. We face lot of power failure rather switch over for just 1 ot 2 minutes and DG takes about 30 seconds to power up. We lose power again when DG switches over to mains. So my router and repeater goes On and Off both times. Hence the requirement of back up for router.
Yep. You could do with one.
I am using a desktop PC, so I need 240v. Used to have a dedicated APC ups, but now find the inverter is fine. I think it is 100amp-hour battery, and a fan, few lights, PC, etc will run for hours and also no shutdown when the power fails (although my hifi amp always resets! ).

We have a generator, but all manual, and unless it is mid-may and we would bake without AC, or mid-monsoon and we would flood without pump, we'll sit through at least half an hour of power cut before powering it up to cool the fridge (and us).
Thad E Ginathom is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th April 2020, 19:27   #1808
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,775
Thanked: 377 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

The cost of Resonate UPS is around 2.8K. I use a dedicated APC UPS that powers my FTTH CPE, Wifi router, TV + STB. The location works centrally and uses the UPS well.
dadu is offline  
Old 11th May 2020, 16:21   #1809
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 2,048 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

With Working-From-Home being the new normal in life, we are slowly preparing for the days when school reopens for our 2 kids. The school has informed us that initially the classes will be held online, which I fear, will continue for a while. Educational institutions will perhaps be the last to come out of lockdown, for very good reasons.

However, this would imply 4 of us working/accessing our laptops on Video Calls at the same time. Thankfully, we have 4 systems at home and we are on Airtel FTTH which gives us good speeds of upto 200Mbps. However, wifi signal has always been a big concern, given that the Airtel Router is at one corner of the house (based on the cabling that was provided in the apartment complex).

Based on feedback here, got a mesh router - TP Link Deco M4. Have placed one next to my existing Airtel Router (and have disabled the old WiFi). The second router (Deco M4) goes into my bedroom, which ensure good connectivity across the house. Had never heard of mesh routers before, and must thank fellow BHPians for sharing information on this thread. This has solved my problem. In my bedroom, I would get speeds of around 20Mbps which is now well over 100Mbps with the mesh router. I will need to tweak the placement of the routers and perhaps connect the second router with a gigabit ethernet cable, but thats a project for later once the lockdown ends and we have access to electricians (would not disturb them now and would rather have them focus on more urgent tasks).

Just one more immediate task pending i.e. getting a router UPS. While the main router is on an APS UPS, the secondary router is not. Today I faced disconnection multiple times due to repeated power outages and I need to address this, hopefully tomorrow. Unfortunately, Amazon does not take orders for Bangalore (being a RED zone), checked with Resonate directly and found a dealer in my locality, who apparently will get the stock tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed.

Thanks once again to Team-BHP, which is truly an encyclopedia of information.

Last edited by sachinayak : 11th May 2020 at 16:23.
sachinayak is offline  
Old 11th May 2020, 16:29   #1810
BHPian
 
babhishek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: KOLKATA
Posts: 321
Thanked: 18 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
With Working-From-Home being the new normal in life, we are slowly preparing for the days when school reopens for our 2 kids. The school has informed us that initially the classes will be held online, which I fear, will continue for a while. Educational institutions will perhaps be the last to come out of lockdown, for very good reasons....
If you have the space, please get a normal ups for the second router. Easier to replace batteries after 18 months.. if there is a space crunch - resonate ups makes sense.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th May 2020 at 19:50. Reason: Trimmed quote.
babhishek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 16:36   #1811
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,010
Thanked: 17,943 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Unfortunately, Amazon does not take orders for Bangalore (being a RED zone), checked with Resonate directly and found a dealer in my locality, who apparently will get the stock tomorrow. Keeping fingers crossed
I had the same problem and I picked a router UPS from a local computer shop (paid 2750 which I know is expensive compared to Amazon). This one is the same from Resonate.

You can try checking at a popular shop in your area. Though the shop I went didn't have stock, he promised me the next day and I could pick it up from him and started using it from last weekend itself. There was a downtime of 1 minutes before the connection was up again after the DG kicked in and the router booted.

Although my nature of work can continue with a downtime even during calls, it was mainly to address concerns of my wife and my kid.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th May 2020 at 16:37.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:46   #1812
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 664
Thanked: 2,048 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
If you have the space, please get a normal ups for the second router. Easier to replace batteries after 18 months.. if there is a space crunch - resonate ups makes sense.
Space is an issue + the larger UPS tends to generate a lot of heat. I am hoping given its smaller footprint and backup, Resonate UPS would not generate much heat. All I need is a 2 minute backup (at most) before the generator in the apartment kicks in.


Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
There was a downtime of 1 minutes before the connection was up again after the DG kicked in and the router booted.
This bothers me now, why would there be a 1 minute downtime? Am looking for the UPS to ensure absolutely continuity as I cannot afford any downtime. Otherwise, it beats the complete purpose of having one. Can you please elaborate?
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 17:50   #1813
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,010
Thanked: 17,943 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
This bothers me now, why would there be a 1 minute downtime? Am looking for the UPS to ensure absolutely continuity as I cannot afford any downtime. Otherwise, it beats the complete purpose of having one. Can you please elaborate?
I stay in an apartment. The DG kicks in a second soon after the BESCOM power goes off. So power supply goes off for 3-5 seconds before everything is powered up again.

Meanwhile, the router loses power and hence reboots. This cycle of shut down - reboot - laptops connecting to the WiFI nearly takes a minutes and its downtime.

So not to confuse you, the Router UPS I had to purchase was to not have this downtime of 1 minute also and it is working fine as expected and serving the purpose.

Just to give you a perspective on its size and portability, this now how it is placed.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-1589199773340847218009803577551.jpg

The back-up claimed is 4 hours but I wont need a back-up for over 1 minute anyway.

In a nutshell, the Router UPS will ensure seamless connectivity with zero downtime during a power disruption.

Last edited by paragsachania : 11th May 2020 at 17:55.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th May 2020, 19:26   #1814
BHPian
 
_chikku's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Puttur - B'lore
Posts: 261
Thanked: 132 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
Resonate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Router UPS
Can I have the contact number please ?
_chikku is offline  
Old 11th May 2020, 19:31   #1815
Distinguished - BHPian
 
paragsachania's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Belur/Bangalore
Posts: 6,010
Thanked: 17,943 Times
Default Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Can I have the contact number please ?
Resonate is perhaps the most popular one right now and most are using it.

You can reach out to them directly:

https://www.resonate.store/pages/care-resonate.

In case you want details of the shop where I picked it up from, let me tell you that this was in Yelahanka and I paid almost 850 bucks more than the usual retailing price of 1990/- but then none were ready to deliver or even accept online orders.

Call up their number and ask for a distributor in your area. They may have some.
paragsachania is offline   (3) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright 2000 - 2020, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks