Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2018, 07:00   #1666
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
I have TP WE 855 RE range extender, which I use for extending Jio wifi's range. Due to suspicion of hacking, I have enabled Mac address filtering on JioFi, so that only allowed devices can connect.

I have added this extender's Mac address to white list of JioFi. But somehow it doesn't connect to internet by this method. When the filtering is disabled, it works perfectly. But stops working as soon as mac filtering is enabled. I am entering the mac address of the extender properly.

What is going wrong? Any pointers?
This might help. https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread...bled-on-router

And good luck with the Spanish translation.
Old 18th July 2018, 07:25   #1667
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have TP WE 855 RE range extender [...] I have enabled Mac address filtering on JioFi [...] I have added this extender's Mac address to white list of JioFi. But somehow it doesn't connect to internet by this method.
This is the wrong thing to do (assuming the range extender functions as a repeater). The Jio device is seeing traffic from the source mac, which is what it needs allowed in the filter. Add the mac addresses of all the laptops/phones etc. in the Jio device.

Depending on your configuration, you might need the extender's mac in the Jio device as well.
Old 18th July 2018, 10:09   #1668
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu.t.k View Post
Thanks for the quick response. Will take a look at this. I was looking for a dedicated router something like the SRX5308 – ProSAFE Quad WAN Gigabit SSL VPN Firewall ( dont know how much it would cost) but is already EOL. Let me do some more googling.
With this calibre of equipment you probably need it for your office? It lists for about US $850 at Amazon. You may get a quote from Netgear India. They are pretty responsive as I experienced with my NAS box There are similar VPN router appliances available from Dell, TP Link among others.

Quote:
In your current setup, do you face any issues with banking/online stores sites where the session needs to be maintained across the pages?
No, I haven't experienced any issues whatsoever.
Old 18th July 2018, 11:41   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Add the mac addresses of all the laptops/phones etc. in the Jio device.

Depending on your configuration, you might need the extender's mac in the Jio device as well.

All the devices and extender's mac addresses are already added to the JioFi filter list. Still the range extender stops working when the mac filtering is enabled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post

Gracias! The translation suggests me to 'guess' the mac address that will enable the filtering on JioFi! Let me try it tonight.

This is the translation:

Quote:
I had a similar problem, I need to use the TL-W855RE extender with a main router (host) with activated MAC filter.

The problem is the MAC addresses, here my case:

MAC of the tplink device: 70: 4F: 57: D2: 3F: 2C
SSID MAC tplink: 70: 4F: 57: D2: 3F: 2D

It is necessary to disable the MAC filter on the host, to identify the MAC address that actually arrives at the host, and in my case I found the following: 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2C

Now the strangest thing, if I enable the MAC filter again, after configuring it with the address 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2C included, the repeater is not connected.

I found that there is another address that needs to be included, and that it does not appear anywhere, I just guessed it, and it was: 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2D

that is, the following address to which I really identified before 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2C)

Then, including in the MAC filter the two addresses 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2C and 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2D) the extender connects to the host. The programming of this tplink extender is very rare.

In addition, to add new devices that will connect to the tplink, it is necessary to include a combined MAC address in the host, the first three values ​​correspond to the MAC address of tolink and the other three values ​​to the last values ​​of the MAC of the device, example :

MAC tplink: 72: 4F: 56: D2: 3F: 2C
MAC laptop: 9C: AD: 97: 39: 6C: F9

Then the address 72: 4F: 56: 39: 6C: F9 must be included in the main router (host).

It's very weird this, but it seems that way it works.
Old 18th July 2018, 13:10   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
Having a weird problem...

Now, my suspect is the power socket, but is there any possibility of ethernet cables causing this?
Update, using a borrowed router (3rd one) connect to the panel which also powers the TV (no issues there). The technician that came to re-configure the router today morning had a go at testing the faulty plug. As per him, it appears to be an issue with the current supply in that particular socket.

He has also ruled out problems in the ethernet cables installed, using a signal tester he brought along.

So, my plan now is to get power from a different port and try using it for a while.
Old 18th July 2018, 14:05   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
802.11 AC is backward compatible with previous 802.11 standards. Only thing I'd suggest is using an AC router for best performance and experience.
Thanks for the confirmation.

My existing router (provided by Airtel) does not support 802.11ac. It supports n, but I use it at g because my ancient laptop does not have n support.

Let me try using the Chromecast with the existing setup, I feel it may be able to support 720p streaming video.

Rohan
Old 18th July 2018, 15:21   #1672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thanks for the confirmation.

My existing router (provided by Airtel) does not support 802.11ac. It supports n, but I use it at g because my ancient laptop does not have n support.

Let me try using the Chromecast with the existing setup, I feel it may be able to support 720p streaming video.

Rohan
Have been using MI 3C router with ACT Broadband - router since Nov '17, ACT since 5 to 6 months.

Plan speed is 75 Mbps.

I have both, Fire TV Stick and Chromecast.

You can stream 1080p content using Chromecast on your N series router.

AC router is NOT mandatory for that.

Screenshot enclosed here shows my internet usage pattern, which is 80% Chromecast & Hotstar combo.

AC router is the best, no doubt, but the best way to exploit it is, in my opinion -

1. Place it near the TV & OTT device, and set the devices to connect over 5 GHz.

2. Let the laptops, tablets and Mobile devices connect to 2.5 GHz.

From personal experience, Fire TV stick is better than Chromecast.

Hotstar buffers sometimes in comparison to Netflix (when both set at 1080p). Issue lies with application and not the internet connection.

SONYLIV is one amongst the worst when it comes to buffering.

MI 3C router is much better than Tenda & Binatone (Airtel), TP-Link W8961 (BSNL).

All inputs based on personal experience.

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-1531907128300.jpg  

Old 18th July 2018, 21:31   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingme.crazy View Post
This might help. https://forum.tp-link.com/showthread...bled-on-router

This worked! The mac address printed on body of extender is not needed to be added to white list. It is off by one letter. Only the actual mac as shown on extender page, mac shown on JioFi connectionpage, and a derivative mac using the relationship of printed mac and extender page mac is needed.

Very complicated! But finally I can use the extender with the JioFi. Thanks a lot!
Old 19th July 2018, 09:38   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
This worked! The mac address printed on body of extender is not needed to be added to white list. It is off by one letter. Only the actual mac as shown on extender page, mac shown on JioFi connectionpage, and a derivative mac using the relationship of printed mac and extender page mac is needed.

Very complicated! But finally I can use the extender with the JioFi. Thanks a lot!
Glad to hear you made it.
Old 6th September 2018, 10:38   #1675
Distinguished - BHPian

Wifi hacked on my Home router. Need Help!

Over the past few months, I was observing that the QoS that I was getting on the devices in my house used to vary a lot. We have a 10MBPS connection from BSNL at home. The router is a DLink 2750U ADSL WIFI router. I was getting a huge variance in download and streaming speeds even with 10 MBPS line.I complained to BSNL and they said everything is fine on their end.

I happened to download this app 'WUM Wifi' on my android which claimed that it will list down all the connected devices to a wifi network. I was shocked to see that in addition to the known MAC address of our house devices, a Xiaomi device and an Unknown device were connected.

I immediately changed the Wifi password to a pretty complex one and ran the app again. All looked good for a day. The next day I again see this Xiaomi device connected. The password was a complex 20 character one with all the googlies thrown in. Even then some other person was able to crack it and use the network. I have changed the password three times now with increasing complexity and it gets cracked in a day or two. And when the unidentified device is connected, my QoS goes for a toss.

Attached are a couple of screenshots. The circled MAC is the unidentified one. Please help

On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20180901102036.png

On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_20180905221829.png
Old 6th September 2018, 11:04   #1676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Over the past few months, I was observing that the QoS that I was getting on the devices in my house used to vary a lot. We have a 10MBPS connection from BSNL at home. The router is a DLink 2750U ADSL WIFI router. I was getting a huge variance in download and streaming speeds even with 10 MBPS line.I complained to BSNL and they said everything is fine on their end..

I had a similar issue recently, I took the following steps:

1- Downloaded an offline password generator

2- Created a new SSID with the generator.

3- Created a new 'strong' password for that SSID similarly.

4- Deleted the old SSID.

5- Verified Wifi is running on WPA2+AES or higher security option

6- Implemented the new SSID.

5- Hid the new SSID broadcast. (Hidden Network)

6- Specified which MAC addresses can connect. (Using MAC Filter/AcessControlList)

7- Reduced the range of Wifi (Signal Strength) to 25%.

8- Saved settings and restarted the Wifi.

WARNING ⚠️ Steps 5 & 6 are only for a couple of days/ weeks and is meant for a short deterrent. As it's easily hackable and dangerous in cases.

Hopefully this will solve the issue.

Mod Note: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th September 2018 at 11:36.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:10   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wifi hacked on my Home router. Need Help!

Quote:
Even then some other person was able to crack it and use the network.
Two questions.

1. How much do you trust this app to tell you the "right" thing?

2. What is the Wifi security settings that you use? You need to check this in your router.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:11   #1678
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The circled MAC is the unidentified one. Please help
Your router may be compromised. Download the firmware from D Link and re-flash the router firmware. Then reset it using the button at the back or bottom of the case to erase all settings and set it up from scratch. The reset is a MUST.

Use a complex administrator (log in) password and ditto for the wi-fi password. Make sure you use on "WPA2 personal" encryption for the wi-fi. WPA2 has been superseded by WPA3 but that's a different topic.
Old 6th September 2018, 11:24   #1679
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashutosh View Post
I had a similar issue recently, I took the following steps:

1- Downloaded an offline password generator

2- Created a new SSID with the generator.

3- Created a new 'strong' password for that SSID similarly.

4- Deleted the old SSID.

5- Verified Wifi is running on WPA2+AES or higher security option

6- Implemented the new SSID.

5- Hid the new SSID broadcast. (Hidden Network)

6- Specified which MAC addresses can connect. (Using MAC Filter/AcessControlList)

7- Reduced the range of Wifi (Signal Strength) to 25%.

8- Saved settings and restarted the Wifi.

WARNING ⚠️ Steps 5 & 6 are only for a couple of days/ weeks and is meant for a short deterrent. As it's easily hackable and dangerous in cases.

Hopefully this will solve the issue.
Thank you. I will try this approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Two questions.

1. How much do you trust this app to tell you the "right" thing?

2. What is the Wifi security settings that you use? You need to check this in your router.
1. Tried with multiple apps and they showed the same MAC Address. Hence I feel that the app is showing the right list of MAC address. Also, the router has a list of MAC addresses connected to it in the router config page. The list shown in the app and in the router is the same.

2. Using WPA2-PSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Your router may be compromised. Download the firmware from D Link and re-flash the router firmware. Then reset it using the button at the back or bottom of the case to erase all settings and set it up from scratch. The reset is a MUST.

Use a complex administrator (log in) password and ditto for the wi-fi password. Make sure you use on "WPA2 personal" encryption for the wi-fi. WPA2 has been superseded by WPA3 but that's a different topic.
Ok. I will do the firmware update. The router login password is the default 'admin' 'admin'. I will change that first!

I see WPA, WPA-PSK, WPA2-PSK in the list of encryption options. WPA Personal is not present
Old 6th September 2018, 11:38   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Over the past few months, I was observing that the QoS that I was getting on the devices in my house used to vary a lot. We have a 10MBPS connection from BSNL at home. The router is a DLink 2750U ADSL WIFI router. I was getting a huge variance in download and streaming speeds even with 10 MBPS line.I complained to BSNL and they said everything is fine on their end.

I happened to download this app 'WUM Wifi' on my android which claimed that it will list down all the connected devices to a wifi network. I was shocked to see that in addition to the known MAC address of our house devices, a Xiaomi device and an Unknown device were connected.

I immediately changed the Wifi password to a pretty complex one and ran the app again. All looked good for a day. The next day I again see this Xiaomi device connected. The password was a complex 20 character one with all the googlies thrown in. Even then some other person was able to crack it and use the network. I have changed the password three times now with increasing complexity and it gets cracked in a day or two. And when the unidentified device is connected, my QoS goes for a toss.

Attached are a couple of screenshots. The circled MAC is the unidentified one. Please help

Attachment 1796560

Attachment 1796561
This can happen due to WPS. I have seen apps that can help you connect to Wifi without the password. So please disable WPS by turning off the button at the back or from the Modem security settings. Refer to modem manual for details. We have this setting turned off.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks