Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2017, 08:20   #1576
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Tried reseting updating drivers, reinstalled windows but the issue still persists
Did you try resetting your router? Change your current ssid and password. Does your router have a guest ssid access? If so, try with that first. I also assume you do not have any parental controls on your router?
Is the router showing you these devices as connected on the router management page? Are these laptops getting valid intranet ips?
Old 26th November 2017, 11:54   #1577
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Guys I am facing a very strange problem with my internet connection. I got a new D-Link DSL-2750U*wifi adsl router for mtnl broadband last month. Everything was working fine since then. But from last 2-3 days, three laptops at my place connect to wifi but there is no internet i.e. could not open a website. Tried using mobile hotspot and the internet starts easily. I also bought a tp-link usb wireless adapter thinking that will solve my problem if it is happening due to compatibility but same thing is happening there.

No internet from dlink wifi but can access net from mobile hotspot wifi. Interesting thing is that all other devices at home including android phones, a hp laptop, iphones, tabs, internt tv all are connected to dlink wifi. No issues there. I am trying to figure out a solution since last 2 days but nothing is working out. Tried reseting updating drivers, reinstalled windows but the issue still persists. Any pointers please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you try resetting your router? Change your current ssid and password. Does your router have a guest ssid access? If so, try with that first. I also assume you do not have any parental controls on your router?
Is the router showing you these devices as connected on the router management page? Are these laptops getting valid intranet ips?
Is the problem specific to these 3 laptops only? In addition to what diyguy has suggested, on the router management page, do check if there is any kind of blacklist/whitelist active.

In the laptops, check if they are configured to get IPs via DHCP and there is no fixed IP assigned.
Old 26th November 2017, 12:01   #1578
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
No internet from dlink wifi but can access net from mobile hotspot wifi. Interesting thing is that all other devices at home including android phones, a hp laptop, iphones, tabs, internt tv all are connected to dlink wifi. No issues there. I am trying to figure out a solution since last 2 days but nothing is working out. Tried reseting updating drivers, reinstalled windows but the issue still persists. Any pointers please?
Check is phone line plugged into the line splitter and from there into the router RJ11 jack? Is the DSL link on? Refer to your router manual for the correct LED to monitor.

Sometimes router settings stored in NVRAM can get hosed. Just reset your router to default settings. Use the reset button at the back. Keep it pressed for about 10 seconds and release. Once the router boots up open the configuration page and set the following:

a) DSL (VCI/VPI) settings it is 32 & 0 (zero) respectively IIRC but please reverify with MTNL support if it doesnt work

b) Set your connection type to PPPoE and type in the username and password provided.

c) Input your Wi-fi SSID & password. Make sure you select WPA2, not WPA or WEP.

Remember to save settings after each step. Also try getting your devices to forget/delete the wifi network and input all the parameters again.

Last edited by R2D2 : 26th November 2017 at 12:02.
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:36   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Assuming you have the budget take a look at the Netgate 2440.

I've been using the Netgate 2440 security appliance with pfSense (an open source router firewall software) since early 2016 and it works beautifully. The pizza box (as I call it) functions as a VPN router/firewall plus an IDS/IPS system. It also has hardware support for encryption that comes in handy with my VPN.
Sir, I'm looking for a wifi router for personal use. I'll be setting up couple of Iot devices for home automation in the future. I have following requirements;

1) Should be able to run custom OS (Lede mainly)
2) Should have AES-NI to support openvpn AES 128GCM
3) Dual WAN support.
4) Pf sense support

Could you please suggest me some good routers?

Thank you,
Ankit
Old 3rd December 2017, 15:57   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Sir, I'm looking for a wifi router for personal use. I'll be setting up couple of Iot devices for home automation in the future. I have following requirements; Could you please suggest me some good routers?
Wifi routers will always run firmware based on a particular flavour of Linux. They cannot run pfSense or OPNSense which are firewall applications running on FreeBSD 11.

Depending on which one you buy you can consider using DD-WRT, XVortex or Merlin firmware releases that give you better control over the router's performance than stock. My choices below...these are not in order of preference:

a) Asus
b) Linksys
c) Ubiquiti
d) Netgear
e) D-Link

Performance varies from model to model. And which model you buy depends on your budget.

PfSense runs on x64 systems. x32 support has been discontinued from version 2.4. Any Intel x64 CPU based system will do. It is preferred to have 2 or more Intel LAN cards instead of the ubiquitous Realteks.

If you need AES-NI you need to buy a CPU and board with that support. It is hardware based. The router/firewall that I use is the Netgate 2440 which can be ordered with Wifi capability but that makes even more expensive. And I prefer using separate AC routers in AP mode.

PS - Dual or triple WAN support depends on the firmware and the # of ports plus the CPU in the router.

Last edited by R2D2 : 3rd December 2017 at 15:59.
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:33   #1581
Distinguished - BHPian

For anybody who is interested in networks and related gear, this site and the attached forum are excellent resources for reviews and discussions on Home, SOHO and SME level network equipment. Some members are very knowledgeable and are working pros in this field.

Smallnetbuilder
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:18   #1582
BHPian

Quote:
Wifi routers will always run firmware based on a particular flavour of Linux. They cannot run pfSense or OPNSense which are firewall applications running on FreeBSD 11.
Thank you for your reply. I'll buy Netgate 2440 and purchase another router with merlin/lede support to get best of both worlds.
Old 3rd December 2017, 17:46   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I'll buy Netgate 2440 and purchase another router with merlin/lede support to get best of both worlds.
Merlin firmware is only for Asus wifi routers. Most newer models are supported but legacy ones are not. Please check at the SNB forum's Merlin thread before you buy a router. On the other hand DD-WRT has much wider support for different makes and models. But most firmware is in Beta and may not be very stable.

Also, assuming you are familiar with networks and *NIX/Linux/Free BSD commands there's a ton of help available on how to configure pfSense or OPNSense online for multi WAN environments and load balancing or fail over. I have configured my router for a fail-over function.

You may also want to consider adding an IDS/IPS package (Snort or Suricata) once pfSense is properly configured.
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:49   #1584
BHPian

Quote:

Also, assuming you are familiar with networks and *NIX/Linux/Free BSD commands there's a ton of help available on how to configure pfSense or OPNSense online for multi WAN environments and load balancing or fail over. I have configured my router for a fail-over function.

You may also want to consider adding an IDS/IPS package (Snort or Suricata) once pfSense is properly configured.
I'm OK with Linux (I believe I can pfsense on Debian or Ubuntu) but pretty new to networking. I'm willing to explore though. If it is too much for me, I'll look in to some professional service to help me setting things up.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:34   #1585
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I'm OK with Linux (I believe I can pfsense on Debian or Ubuntu) but pretty new to networking. I'm willing to explore though. If it is too much for me, I'll look in to some professional service to help me setting things up.
Hmm, not sure if you can install pfSense on Ubuntu or Debian as it comes with its own OS i.e. FreeBSD. But you may be able to install it in VM running on Debian or Ubuntu. If you need flexibility you may want to consider building a custom Intel based machine instead of the Netgate.

Also check out Smoothwall & Sophos Home UTM which are very good. I haven't tried them since my firewall appliance, the Netgate 2440, does not have a display adapter and only works via the serial console during initial setup.
Old 4th December 2017, 09:59   #1586
BANNED

I am having an interesting problem with my Netgear N300. It works fine, but somehow need to be rebooted about once in two days. Alternatively, one can do a reboot through software. I was warned about this happening when the unit was being installed. I have fibre into the home, which is then connected through a fibre to ethernet converter.
Old 4th December 2017, 16:56   #1587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I am having an interesting problem with my Netgear N300. It works fine, but somehow need to be rebooted about once in two days. Alternatively, one can do a reboot through software. I was warned about this happening when the unit was being installed. I have fibre into the home, which is then connected through a fibre to ethernet converter.
That's nothing unusual. Most Home/SOHO grade routers require reboots regularly. These firmwares have memory leaks and assorted bugs that are almost never disclosed. Some utilise 100% NVRAM which in turn that cause freezes. Memory leaks cause poor wifi performance & kernel panic/crashes.

You could update the firmware to a newer version which will hopefully have fewer issues. If no updates are available (happens after model is phased out) you could consider using 3rd party firmware if possible.

I reboot my routers/APs manually every 5-10 days but the firewall appliance running pfSense (FreeBSD OS) goes on for several weeks even months without a reboot. Asus Merlin firmware has a reboot scheduler which itself an indication of how essential this step is.
Old 4th December 2017, 17:16   #1588
BHPian

I am facing problem in my Airtel broadband connection where it disconnects frequently. I have connected a UPS to it to avoid restarts while power cuts but that is not solving the purpose. I closely noticed the issue and found that it mostly happens when we use the landline phone associated with it. Does this happen for all connections? Can't we use both broadband and phone at same time?
Old 4th December 2017, 18:02   #1589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I am facing problem in my Airtel broadband connection where it disconnects frequently. I have connected a UPS to it to avoid restarts while power cuts but that is not solving the purpose. I closely noticed the issue and found that it mostly happens when we use the landline phone associated with it. Does this happen for all connections? Can't we use both broadband and phone at same time?
Assuming this is a DSL line please check if you have a splitter connected. Your incoming line should be first connected to a splitter which has 2 outputs, one goes to the modem and other to the landline phone. Without the splitter the modem will drop the link when you use the phone.
Old 4th December 2017, 18:12   #1590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I am facing problem in my Airtel broadband connection where it disconnects frequently. I closely noticed the issue and found that it mostly happens when we use the landline phone associated with it.
That sounds like a missing or faulty splitter. Please get that checked.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks