Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2017, 11:45   #1471
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuderiamania View Post
Airtel asks for a one time ₹1000 payment for upgrading the broadband connection to vdsl. Do they offer a compatible WiFi router as well?

Why did you choose to connect the modem to a separate router? Did using WiFi over the 5 ghz band make a significant difference?

About updating the WiFi firmware, are there any firmware updates for d-link dsl 2750u which make it vdsl compatible?
The 1,000 rupees is for the modem cum router - that is what they told me. And you can pay for it in one shot or 200 rupees in your bill for 5 months.

I chose to connect to a separate router to get better wifi performance. And yes the 5Ghz band makes a difference - much less interference. The wireless N standard also works in 5Ghz, not just AC.

I didn't say the 2750U can be upgraded to use VDSL. D-link told me the 2877AL can work with VDSL with a firmware upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
As I said before, go in for VDSL ONLY if Airtel offers you speeds higher than 24 Mbps which is the max that ADSL2+ can do. VDSL modems are used with fibre optic connections. I purchased my VDSL products 1-2 years ago and I do not see any drop in prices. Of course as with all things electronics a price drop will happen some day but when is hard to predict.
Airtel told me VDSL works on the same copper infrastructure as ADSL. Just requires a change of equipment at their end and at my home. That is the reason for the fast roll out. I went from 8 Mbps on ADSL to 40 Mbps on VDSL.
Old 14th March 2017, 13:27   #1472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Airtel told me VDSL works on the same copper infrastructure as ADSL. Just requires a change of equipment at their end and at my home. That is the reason for the fast roll out. I went from 8 Mbps on ADSL to 40 Mbps on VDSL.
That's right. VDSL works on the same UTP cables as does ADSL2+. The caveat is the distance between 2 termination points (CPE and the cabinet) should be <300 metres. VDSL has a max speed of 100 Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Hi guys thanks for the response. @diyguy,Router B is connected with a wire from router A. @ Thad E Ginathom, i think i will have to try it myself once more. Can you list out the step by step procedure of possible.Or if you require any details from the existing routers then i could upload the same.
What IP and subnet mask are you using? Also, ONLY ONE of the routers should have the DHCP server running and that is preferably the primary router which has the WAN/internet connection. The 2nd router should be set up for duty as an Access Point (AP) and should have a different IP from the primary router. For e.g. if the primary router is IP 192.168.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 the secondary router/AP should 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I always recommend setting router IPs manually so that in case of DHCP daemon failures you do not lose the router from the network.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2017 at 13:31.
Old 14th March 2017, 14:34   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's right. VDSL works on the same UTP cables as does ADSL2+. The caveat is the distance between 2 termination points (CPE and the cabinet) should be <300 metres. VDSL has a max speed of 100 Mbps.
I guess because the distance is greater in my case, they promise and deliver 40 Mbps.
Old 14th March 2017, 15:10   #1474
Distinguished - BHPian

Not directly related, but still.

What is the approx cost per meter of a CAT 6 cable for Outdoor applications like CCTV cameras. Need to purchase around 100 meters of cable. Have zeroed down on DLink brand. No able to decide whether to purchase Online where 100 meters is around 2100 Rupees. Don't know about local stores.

Also is there a different type for CAT 6 cable to outdoor application?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 14th March 2017 at 15:13.
Old 14th March 2017, 17:19   #1475
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Not directly related, but still.

What is the approx cost per meter of a CAT 6 cable for Outdoor applications like CCTV cameras. Need to purchase around 100 meters of cable. Have zeroed down on DLink brand. No able to decide whether to purchase Online where 100 meters is around 2100 Rupees. Don't know about local stores.

Also is there a different type for CAT 6 cable to outdoor application?
If you are routing the cable near electrical wiring or outside your home use shielded CAT6 cable in a plastic conduit. For e.g.

http://its.dlink.co.in/index.php?opt...sftp&Itemid=63

While it may not matter so much for CCTV cameras as it would for data, my policy is get it right the first time.

I have been using un-shielded D-Link CAT 6 cable in my home since 2010-11 and get stable Gb connectivity on all components. But I have taken care to avoid runs near or in electrical conduits. Once again, the suggested max distance between runs is 100 metres before you need a switch.

I'd suggest approaching a local store so you can buy exactly how much you need. Buying online may not give you flexibility. Most rolls are 300 m which would be a waste if you need only 100 metres.

Last edited by R2D2 : 14th March 2017 at 17:20.
Old 15th March 2017, 00:12   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What IP and subnet mask are you using? Also, ONLY ONE of the routers should have the DHCP server running and that is preferably the primary router which has the WAN/internet connection. The 2nd router should be set up for duty as an Access Point (AP) and should have a different IP from the primary router. For e.g. if the primary router is IP 192.168.1.1 subnet mask 255.255.255.0 the secondary router/AP should 192.168.1.2 subnet mask 255.255.255.0. I always recommend setting router IPs manually so that in case of DHCP daemon failures you do not lose the router from the network.
That's your question answered scorpian except for one small physical detail: the router A should be connected to one of router B's LAN ports, and not to it's WAN port. Both (or all, if more) your routers are on the same Local Area Network. (That's the network "called" 192.168.1.0).

You can do it the other way (A-lan-port to B-wan-port). Should you wish to do so, step one is to google TCP/IP Primer. This is because, to go further down that road, you need to understand the basics of IP addressing.
Old 15th March 2017, 09:32   #1477
BHPian

Thanks all!!
Really appreciate your help.
as of now the router is with the computer guy and he is still breaking his head over it,since i have already paid him il wait for a day more or else take the router back log in to both the router and post details out here,so as to get to the bottom of the problem and ofcourse once its up and working il let the computer guy see it and understand so that others like me dont suffer with lack of wifi..

Will get back in a day.
Thanks once again.
Old 15th March 2017, 13:50   #1478
BHPian

Guys, any idea how I can measure speed at the smart tv end when I access files from NAS? I tried using speedtest but it gives speed of internet connection and I am interested in LAN speed.
Old 15th March 2017, 14:03   #1479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You can do it the other way (A-lan-port to B-wan-port). Should you wish to do so, step one is to google TCP/IP Primer. This is because, to go further down that road, you need to understand the basics of IP addressing.
Just to enlarge on this...

There are several good primers on the net. These days, we all have networks in our homes, and it is a really good idea to get the basics in our heads. There is no need to go past the first few chapters. In fact, I'd say, stop when you get to subnet masking, you already know enough for home use.

Or indeed, for small office use! As a retired systems manager, my knowledge didn't go much deeper: I could do all the every-day stuff but would call my consultant guy for anything more. (bottom line: I didn't "speak Cisco").

These days, the difference between computer technology in the home and in the small/medium-size office is only a matter of scale.
Old 15th March 2017, 14:12   #1480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Guys, any idea how I can measure speed at the smart tv end when I access files from NAS? I tried using speedtest but it gives speed of internet connection and I am interested in LAN speed.
I, for as long as I can remember, have used a tool called Iperf.

https://iperf.fr/

Not sure if it works on your Smart TV (if it is Android then it should).
Old 18th March 2017, 21:56   #1481
Senior - BHPian

I have MTNL's fibre connection (FTTH) setup which is working fine using the ethernet cable.

Today I received my DLink DIR-615 router but not sure how to configure it. Tried a couple of tricks that I found online but I'm a total noob and nothing worked for me.

When I go to WAN in the ONT setting I see Internet Connection Type as PPPoE and then ip address, gateway etc. all mentioned.

Now how do I set this router up, please advise, thanks.
Old 18th March 2017, 22:41   #1482
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I have MTNL's fibre connection (FTTH) setup which is working fine using the ethernet cable.

Today I received my DLink DIR-615 router but not sure how to configure it. Tried a couple of tricks that I found online but I'm a total noob and nothing worked for me.

When I go to WAN in the ONT setting I see Internet Connection Type as PPPoE and then ip address, gateway etc. all mentioned.

Now how do I set this router up, please advise, thanks.
They should have set up the ONT for you when they visited your premises. Have they? Also, does the ONT connect to your router's WAN port?

You need to check with the MTNL helpdesk for detailed information on how to set it up. The minimum information you would need is a username and password, type of connection (PPPoE/A, static or dynamic IP), gateway DNS server IP address. This information is automatically set if your connection is PPPoE/A connectivity.
Old 18th March 2017, 23:52   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They should have set up the ONT for you when they visited your premises. Have they? Also, does the ONT connect to your router's WAN port?

You need to check with the MTNL helpdesk for detailed information on how to set it up. The minimum information you would need is a username and password, type of connection (PPPoE/A, static or dynamic IP), gateway DNS server IP address. This information is automatically set if your connection is PPPoE/A connectivity.
I followed this guy -

except that I disabled DHCP in settings, this guy has it enabled.

Everything worked perfectly and I was running WiFi on the laptop. I decided to change the Network name to something else from default and its all downhill from there.

I've tried about 10 times repeating the same thing but its not working anymore. I've reset the router and tried what worked for me the first time but not anymore, totally stuck here.
Old 19th March 2017, 00:34   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Another update, I am able to connect through phone (posting through wifi) but its not even connecting to the network on laptop. Not even that "limited" connection that it otherwise shows.

EDIT: Well, never mind, I did 'Forget Network' and reconnected and everything is set now, thanks for replying though!

Last edited by fine69 : 19th March 2017 at 00:37.
Old 21st March 2017, 12:19   #1485
Distinguished - BHPian

Duplicating LAN signals

I have a requirement. There are 4 LAN points in the house and i have a LAN cable coming in from the ISP. Now i want to have the flexibility of connecting the Wifi Router to any of the 4 LAN points based on where the Wifi signal has the best spread. How can i duplicate the incoming data from the ISP so that it goes to all 4 LAN points and i can hook up the router to any of those LAN points and connect to the internet. I want to have the flexibility to move the router.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks