Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th January 2017, 13:58   #1411
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
That is the ASUS model right, that has both a wan ethernet as well as a phone jack input.

You don't need any middle eastern etc firmwares for it, just the local firmware will work fine, stick the ethernet cable you get into the first WAN port.

At least that was what I did in one of my past ASUS routers that was a previous generation of your model.

For your slow speeds I would check the WAN ethernet cable. Either loose at your end, or on a switch port with a lot of congestion / nearby port has noisy traffic etc, at the provider's end. Check if it is loose at your end, or ask the provider to check at his end.
@hserus
Thanks for the reply. Let me Clarify

1. The router is a D-Link ADSL modem sold in India (DSL-2750U). This only has an ADSL port along with 4 LAN ports and a USB 2.0 port
2. Since it had no separate port, the firmware which i had updated (Middle east), specifically told me to terminate the connection on LAN port 4

3. The problem is only with teh wi-fi, if i use a cable between the router and the PC, the speeds are good, however on wifi, it goes down.

Example, when wired it downloaded the Apple 10.2 update (1.86G) in about 10 minutes, but to sync photos from iCloud using wireless, it took 3 hours (1 GB)

Thanks
Old 20th January 2017, 14:19   #1412
Senior - BHPian

Try moving the wireless signal to another channel, there might be some interference due to another wifi router nearby, or other devices within your house.

The other part is - wifi will be, as a rule of thumb, about as fast as the N(some number), AC(some number) etc model number divided by 10. In your case you have a N250 or some such router that'd give you around 24..25 Mbps over wifi.

If you have a 100 Mbps ++ speed connection, get a router that supports 802.11ac - so an AC1200 router will be ideal, like the one I have now, netgear R6220. That means your router will cost the best part of 7..8k though, you cant pick up a cheap rs.1500 router from the market and get such speeds.

Last edited by hserus : 20th January 2017 at 14:30.
Old 20th January 2017, 15:16   #1413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutoos View Post
Example, when wired it downloaded the Apple 10.2 update (1.86G) in about 10 minutes, but to sync photos from iCloud using wireless, it took 3 hours (1 GB)
Look at your "Wireless Network Connection Status" to see your Speed of connection. That will help you determine if the connectivity is an issue at all. Like Hserus said you can also get a AC router. There is one by TP Link that is a reasonable one - TP-Link Archer C20 AC750 is around 1900rs and D-Link DIR-816 Wireless AC750 is about 1500rs now on amazon.
Old 20th January 2017, 19:56   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Look at your "Wireless Network Connection Status" to see your Speed of connection. That will help you determine if the connectivity is an issue at all. Like Hserus said you can also get a AC router. There is one by TP Link that is a reasonable one - TP-Link Archer C20 AC750 is around 1900rs and D-Link DIR-816 Wireless AC750 is about 1500rs now on amazon.
An AC750 is good upto 75 Mbps. Much better than your old router but still not going to use the optimum speed available with your broadband connection.

Spend more, enjoy a faster internet experience
Old 20th January 2017, 20:49   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
An AC750 is good upto 75 Mbps.
Yes, I myself have the Netgear R7000. The AC750 will atleast support newer AC devices at the older N300 prices.
Old 25th January 2017, 12:34   #1416
BHPian

Quote:
If you have a 100 Mbps ++ speed connection, get a router that supports 802.11ac - so an AC1200 router will be ideal, like the one I have now, netgear R6220. That means your router will cost the best part of 7..8k though, you cant pick up a cheap rs.1500 router from the market and get such speeds.
@hserus, thanks for the reply. I've resigned to my fate and purchased linksys EA6530 which was on sale on Amazon.

Setting up the router was a breeze, and it's the first time i've encountered an easy 3 step setup process. It has dual bands and support Wireless AC plus the wireless n bands. Speed is excellent and alos supports USB 3.0 external storage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
@diyguy, Thanks for the reply. The connection status were all good, i had a chat with the dlink guys and they said that the problem could be with firmware. Secondly getting firmware for the U model was difficult, hence shelved it for later and got a new router.
Old 5th February 2017, 12:28   #1417
BHPian

Connectivity issues....help required.

When i open my browser i find that i cannot connect to the internet for a few minutes and it shows ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED. This happens on Chrome, Safari, on my Mac, on my PC and on my SONY Blu Ray player(connected to my Home Theatre system) and hence has to be a router issue. While the connection comes through after a few minutes on the computers, it can be a pain on the SONY when i try to load Netflix.
My computers, equipments and gadgets are connected through a Linksys EA4500 router/wifi. The SONY is hardwired to the linksys. I also have a Netgear extender.
How do i sort this out?
Old 5th February 2017, 12:43   #1418
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Connectivity issues....help required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthian View Post
When i open my browser i find that i cannot connect to the internet for a few minutes and it shows ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED. This happens on Chrome, Safari, on my Mac, on my PC and on my SONY Blu Ray player(connected to my Home Theatre system) and hence has to be a router issue. While the connection comes through after a few minutes on the computers, it can be a pain on the SONY when i try to load Netflix.
My computers, equipments and gadgets are connected through a Linksys EA4500 router/wifi. The SONY is hardwired to the linksys. I also have a Netgear extender.
How do i sort this out?
This question should have been raised in this thread. I guess the Mods will move it.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...fi-router.html

Ok to answer your question your wi-fi network is probably experiencing interference from other routers/SSIDs. Please ensure your wi-fi router is secured using the WPA2 Personal method. Assuming you have an Android phone download Wifi Analyzer from the Play Store. When you run it you will get a "map" of all the wireless networks in and around your home. Check the bands. Set your router to use the least congested band especially for the 2.4 GHz frequency. The most congested is normally B6 which is the default for most routers. Change it to B1 to B4 or B11 to 13.
Old 5th February 2017, 15:07   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
This question should have been raised in this thread. I guess the Mods will move it.
Mods: kindly do move it to the correct place. My apologies.
Quote:
Ok to answer your question your wi-fi network is probably experiencing interference from other routers/SSIDs.
First of all, thank you for your prompt response. However, i am puzzled by the apparent cause described by you. the Mac is hard wired and the SONY bluRay player is also hardwired to the router- under such circumstances, why should there be any ambiguity or delay by the router?

Last edited by earthian : 5th February 2017 at 15:08. Reason: house keeping
Old 5th February 2017, 18:51   #1420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
First of all, thank you for your prompt response. However, i am puzzled by the apparent cause described by you. the Mac is hard wired and the SONY bluRay player is also hardwired to the router- under such circumstances, why should there be any ambiguity or delay by the router?
Ah! My bad. I didn't pick that bit about the Sony being connected via cable. I assume the Mac is via Wi-Fi?

However, that does not preclude you having to do that simple check for signal interference from other routers. IMHO all wi-fi router owners should do a quick test for optimal performance of their network.

Do give me your network layout with all the bits and pieces of gear. How do you connect to the internet? Is it a DSL modem? Or a fibre optic FTTx connection? I assume it is not a wireless dongle. How have you configured your router's WAN port? Have you updated your router's firmware?
Old 5th February 2017, 19:11   #1421
BHPian

Quote:
Do give me your network layout with all the bits and pieces of gear.
There you go:
  1. Broadband cable
  2. Service provider's switch
  3. linksys EA 4500 wifi
  4. Netgear AC 1900 Nighthawk range extender
  5. SONY Blu Ray hard wired to linksys
  6. Denon AVR 3313 hardwired to linksys
  7. Mac hardwired to linksys
  8. Security VDR hardwired to linksys
  9. Pc, TV, mobiles, ipad and stuff connected to linksys thru wifi
Everything was working fine for more than 3 years till about a month back. The problem occurs with the Mac (Crome or safari browser), the PC and the Sony blu ray. However, it appears that the problem does NOT occur with the TV (connected by wifi to extender), ipad, iphones. So the issue is with the linksys and when hardwired. (i shall put the Mac on wifi and check this out too)
Any light?

Edit 1: Anything to do with TCP/IP settings?
Edit 2:
Sorry. Forgot to answer these questions:
Quote:
How do you connect to the internet? Is it a DSL modem? Or a fibre optic FTTx connection? I assume it is not a wireless dongle. How have you configured your router's WAN port? Have you updated your router's firmware?
1. Copper broadband cable to electronic line protection modem unit (??)
2. ELPM unit to linksys EA 4500 wifi router
3. WAN port?
4. shall try to update firmware now.

Know a bit of French, but Greek & Latin are beyond me. ;-)

Last edited by earthian : 5th February 2017 at 19:40. Reason: added line, para
Old 5th February 2017, 19:38   #1422
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There you go:
  1. Broadband cable
  2. Service provider's switch
  3. linksys EA 4500 wifi
  4. Netgear AC 1900 Nighthawk range extender
  5. SONY Blu Ray hard wired to linksys
  6. Denon AVR 3313 hardwired to linksys
  7. Mac hardwired to linksys
  8. Security VDR hardwired to linksys
  9. Pc, TV, mobiles, ipad and stuff connected to linksys thru wifi
Everything was working fine for more than 3 years till about a month back. The problem occurs with the Mac (Crome or safari browser), the PC and the Sony blu ray. However, it appears that the problem does NOT occur with the TV (connected by wifi to extender), ipad, iphones. So the issue is with the linksys and when hardwired. (i shall put the Mac on wifi and check this out too) Any light?

Edit: Anything to do with TCP/IP settings?
Since it was working for a number of years did you changed any settings? Also, the router has only 4 LAN ports and 1 WAN port. What pieces of gear are connected to which port? What is this service provider's switch? Make sure your Mac and other devices BEHIND the firewall are plugged into the LAN ports or a switch. The only device to be plugged into the WAN port is the broadband/cable modem or CPE.

And yeah, since you asked, what are the TCP/IP settings? You should ensure ONLY the router has its DHCP function enabled.

I assume the broadband/cable modem has been plugged into the WAN port and the rest into the LAN ports or a switch.
Old 5th February 2017, 20:10   #1423
BHPian

Quote:
I assume the broadband/cable modem has been plugged into the WAN port and the rest into the LAN ports or a switch.
That is correct. And i hope you read my edits in the previous post. And thank you , again.
i have not fiddled with the TCP/IP settings.
Old 6th February 2017, 11:18   #1424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
That is correct. And i hope you read my edits in the previous post. And thank you , again. i have not fiddled with the TCP/IP settings.
Hey no need to thank me. Happy to help

Earthian, I am really not sure what's going on in your setup. But can you please recheck a few things for me? They are:
a) DHCP server in modem/CPE switched off. It should be configured as a bridge. The Linksys router should perform the authentication and work as a DHCP server.
b) Modem is plugged into the WAN port
c) PPPoE information in your router is correct. Unless you're operating on a static IP.
d) If you're on dynamic IP, is the modem dropping the line (link loss) and a new IP being assigned? OR, is the ISP changing your WAN IP address after a certain number of hours (time out values)
e) What is your ISP's name and what service is it i.e. broadband (cable/DSL), dongle (3G/4G mobile network) or fibre optic?
f) Cable/DSL Modem model if applicable
g) Router and modem firmware update done?
h) What does this service provider switch do? What bits of gear are connected to it?

Last edited by R2D2 : 6th February 2017 at 11:22.
Old 6th February 2017, 12:12   #1425
BHPian

Quote:
i have not fiddled with the TCP/IP settings.
I would recommend you upgrade the firmware of your router. As the OS of the devices we connect to keep changing, it is best to keep the firmware of other devices upto speed as well. I have had similar situations that my WD media player would hang when playing videos off my NAS, when my ISP was down. An upgrade of the firmware all around solved this issue for me.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks