Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2016, 11:20   #1276
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Can I use a ADSL-2 Wi-Fi router as a Wi-Fi Router (without ADSL) ?
as long as your router has WAN port you can use it just connect modem to WAN port using Ethernet cable.
Use DHCP server of your router and leave other settings as is. If unable to connect them manually set DNS1 and DNS2.

Also check if your router can clone the MAC address. It may not be required for BSNL FTTH however some ISPs such as hathway allow a fixed MAC (machine) to connect from which you have entered the credentials for first time in session so Mac cloning on router helps to use multiple devices.
Old 29th March 2016, 15:21   #1277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
as long as your router has WAN port you can use it just connect modem to WAN port using Ethernet cable.
Not understand how this can work. The Ethernet port is RJ-45. The WAN port is the incoming tel line - a RJ11.
Old 29th March 2016, 15:56   #1278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Not understand how this can work. The Ethernet port is RJ-45. The WAN port is the incoming tel line - a RJ11.
Not necessary I think. A WAN port can also be an ethernet PHY. So from that point of it may not be a problem.

What may have meant:

- In the ADSL router, the phone line is acting as the WAN input. (non-ethernet PHY input)

Last edited by ampere : 29th March 2016 at 16:01.
Old 29th March 2016, 15:59   #1279
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
If there is no RJ-45 in, then it won't work. Most basic routers only have RJ11 in
Old 29th March 2016, 17:22   #1280
Distinguished - BHPian

Crossposted, but my way is simpler and works.

The phone socket on the wifi box is not a LAN port: it is a DSL modem port. For the purposes of this excercise, just ignore it completely.

Some routers have a WAN ethernet port. Whilst it is designed to do exactly what we are talking about, it is not necessary and makes life complex.

Quote:

I have a ADSL-2 Router, running on BSNL broadband. I have now got a BSNL's FTTH connection. The FTTH modem does not have wi-fi, hence will need a wi-fi router now.

IMO, Logically, I need to get the routing config (default router, next hop) set correctly. Question is how ?

FTTH Modem is on 192.168.1.251 /24
Router is on 192.168.1.250 /24

DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.1 /24.

I think this part all matches.

The question is about the default gateways, the DNS server IP's & stuff.

Help, pls !

Yes you can. Or, at least, I've never experienced this exact combination, but I don't see why not.

Just connect the FTTH to one of the wifi routers LAN ports (Not its WAN port if it has one*). You are actually using your wifi router as a hub, and everything can be 192.168.1.something

Your FTTH modem is your default gateway. You can leave it to do the DHCP stuff too. Please disable the DHCP on your wifi router: two DHCPs on the same network can be nasty.

Assuming you can configure the FTTH box, I would set the DHCP range a little higher. Many routers, etc, are 192.168.1.1 out of the box. Duplicate IP addresses on a network is instant trouble.

*You can do this, but then you will have to work out two IP networks and it is not worth the added complexity. I've done it just for the techie challenge, but now I wouldn't bother. If you are going to do this stuff, start by googling TCP/IP Primer, because you will have to have a basic understanding. It is not hard, just stuff you would need to know: within a few hours you could learn all that Iactually needed to administer a network with firewall, VPNs, several gateways, etc. I'm not saying you'd be a network engineer (I wasn't: just a jack of all trades sys admin) but you'd be able to make stuff work. I occasionally needed to call on a real network engineer. His knowledge was something else entirely.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th March 2016 at 17:34.
Old 29th March 2016, 17:55   #1281
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks, Thad. I will check this, try & update you. Till then:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
You can leave it to do the DHCP stuff too. Please disable the DHCP on your wifi router: two DHCPs on the same network can be nasty.
The DHCP is required on the wifi router, since most of the devices at home connect over wireless. The FTTH modem does not have wifi and will have max 2 wired connections. The DHCP is not required here as much as it is required at the wi-fi side.
Old 29th March 2016, 18:02   #1282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The simplest method would be to disable DHCP on the Wifi box (using DHCP from the FTTH box). It might have a dedicated "bridge mode" setting, which will

I'm assuming you have the right kind of ports to connect the Wifi to the FTTH router.

Edit: I see that the same has been suggested already. But:

Quote:
The DHCP is required on the wifi router, since most of the devices at home connect over wireless.
DHCP requests and responses can traverse a bridge. This is a non-issue.

Last edited by binand : 29th March 2016 at 18:04.
Old 29th March 2016, 23:47   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Incoming Telephone line is WAN port when you are using ADSL mode. Usually either router has a RJ45 designated as wan port or one of the normal RJ45 LAN port doubles up as lan/wan port and router automatically deducts WAN connection.

Few ISP provided ultra cheap modem- routers save few pennies by skipping RJ45 WAN port.

Last edited by amitk26 : 29th March 2016 at 23:50.
Old 30th March 2016, 13:33   #1284
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Incoming Telephone line is WAN
I suppose it is a WAN port, as it does connect to another IP network, over the phone line and DSL. Just, I never thought of it like that.
Quote:
The DHCP is required on the wifi router, since most of the devices at home connect over wireless. The FTTH modem does not have wifi and will have max 2 wired connections. The DHCP is not required here as much as it is required at the wi-fi side.
You have just one DHCP on a network. It doesn't matter which box it is running on, and, if you follow my method (which has also been recommended here before), then you have only one network: 192.168.1.0. Theoretically, It could even be running on a computer on your network: it does not have to be on a router. In practice, of course, for home networks, it will be.

Dim brain cells tell me that, back in office days, my "router" would certainly not have been doing DHCP, because there would have been a firewall in the way. But hey, I could no longer replicate that system: the brain cells are too dim. And I'm a control freak and like to static-ip everything! Of course, in those days, an IP-connected phone was barely a dream! In fact, we did not even use wireless networking. Anti-deluvian, eh?
Old 30th March 2016, 14:29   #1285
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
my "router" would certainly not have been doing DHCP, [...] And I'm a control freak and like to static-ip everything!
Static IPs allocated via DHCP. You get best of both worlds.

Both dnsmasq and isc-dhcpd support that. Many of the el cheapo "home routers" do too, but obviously without the kind of flexibility I'm used to.
Old 30th March 2016, 22:58   #1286
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Static IPs allocated via DHCP. You get best of both worlds.

Both dnsmasq and isc-dhcpd support that. Many of the el cheapo "home routers" do too, but obviously without the kind of flexibility I'm used to.
Do you mean stipulating IP addresses to allot to specific MAC addreses?If not, then you may be talking about something I don't know about, which is very possible as I retired 13 years ago,

I do allocate IP addresses to MAC adresses. I use the hosts file on my PC as a way of documenting all that stuff.
Old 31st March 2016, 07:35   #1287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do you mean stipulating IP addresses to allot to specific MAC addreses?
That's right. 25 years ago at my undergrad univ this was being used. And we, the students, had figured out how to ifconfig eth0 hw ether a:b:... to spoof faculty members' computers and get unrestricted internet access. :-)

Quote:
I do allocate IP addresses to MAC adresses. I use the hosts file on my PC as a way of documenting all that stuff.
/etc/ethers is the right place. From its manpage: "/etc/ethers contains 48 bit Ethernet addresses and their corresponding IP numbers, one line for each IP number"
Old 31st March 2016, 22:03   #1288
Distinguished - BHPian

I mean on the router, where there is a GUI to do it. My hosts file just, as hosts files do, has the IP addr and a name --- and additional detail in the comment.

Looks like you did some good stuff. I got into all this by coincidence, a big step sideways where I was working. I picked up the Unix manuals, liked what I read, and made a new career out of it, self-taught. I was quite good actually! But lacked the depth of a proper computer-science education.

These days I have lost the techie bug and can barely write a shell script.
Old 3rd April 2016, 07:46   #1289
Distinguished - BHPian

Do a few things:

a) Disable DHCP on the Wifi router
b) Set DHCP IP range to start from 192.168.1.10 or higher. This gives you the chance to assign static IPs to various network infrastructure bits as your network expands
c) Set a static IP for the wifi router - I prefer not using DHCP. The current IP and subnet mask is fine.
d) In your Wifi router - the gateway should be 192.168.1.251/24
e) In your FTTH modem/router, the gateway should be set as default or blank which means it is the default gateway
e) In your FTTH router's config - type in the DNS servers that your ISP gave you or use Google's public DNS servers

I have much the same set up with a firewall appliance (had submitted a post about it several weeks back), DSL modem, FTTC connection, a wifi router and APs on my home network. I do not use DHCP assigned IP addresses on critical network appliances or even my main home PC.

Regards,

Quote:

I have a ADSL-2 Router, running on BSNL broadband. I have now got a BSNL's FTTH connection. The FTTH modem does not have wi-fi, hence will need a wi-fi router now.

IMO, Logically, I need to get the routing config (default router, next hop) set correctly. Question is how ?

FTTH Modem is on 192.168.1.251 /24
Router is on 192.168.1.250 /24

DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.1 /24.

I think this part all matches.

The question is about the default gateways, the DNS server IP's & stuff.

Help, pls !
Old 9th April 2016, 20:15   #1290
Senior - BHPian

I have a BSNL broadband at home being run on the USB modem currently. One of my friend is leaving abroad on an assignment and has offered his D link 2750U router. I wish to changeover from the USB to the Wifi router with this offer.

I am completely new to this part. Hence have few clarifications.

1. How easy is it to change over from the USB to the Wifi router?

2. Are there any specific data that needs to be uploaded during the changeover and is it available at the fingertips with a few clicks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks