Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2015, 19:39   #1171
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
Attachment 1427383Thanks to Sunny, I picked it up too and also got a free 32Gb dual USB pendrive with it. All for ₹4999.
Lucky you, I didn't get any pen-drive or any other freebie, has anyone else also got any such gift?

I also got the router couple of hours back and setting it up right now. Thanks @Sunnyboi for letting us know about this great deal
Old 16th October 2015, 08:42   #1172
Senior - BHPian

Picked up a TP Link Archer C2 for Rs. 4200. This was a emergency buy as my TP Link TL-WR843ND 300mbps router refused to connect to the internet after a rainy night. The same night was heavy on thunder and lightning. Took out a hdmi terminal on my tv too.

I meddled with the failed TP Link router. TP Link's have a 'E' lamp that glows when connected to the internet. The lamp was steady even when I pulled out the in coming ISP cable, which was not correct behaviour. Tried a factory reset and no luck.

Anyway; setting up the new C2 router was a breeze. This is a half baked AC standard router that supports up to 750mbps (Pricier ac routers support up to 1300mbps), gigabit support on all LAN terminals and simultaneous dual band at 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. The router also has a USB 2.0 port which can be used to hook up to a printer or a hard drive to behave like a NAS box. The router is a looker and is well made.

I've been using the router for about 10 days and performance benefits under the ac standard are yet to be seen. Range improvement isn't any better either. Maybe its cause I already had a dual antenna router. The only ac device is my iphone 6 and its connected to the 2.4ghz band. Tapping into 5ghz band requires that you set up a dedicated ssid and connect to it. This I have yet to try.
Old 17th October 2015, 18:40   #1173
BHPian

*Netgear R7000 Query*

Earlier I had Linksys WiFi modem+router with 4 Ethernet ports 10/100mbps. AFAIK WiFi speed is rated at either 100 or 150 mbps on that router. I use WiFi on my cellphone and Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. Data transfer used to be between 2-10 mbps on cellphone and stable 10-12mbps on my laptop.

Now coming onto newly bought Netgear R7000. I have enabled both 2.4ghz and 5 ghz bands on the router.

1. Cellphone: Cellphone seems to support 5ghz band and connects on 5G band but max data transfer speed I got is 50 mbps when file transfer starts and later it stables at around 24mbps. Not sure whats going on. Router app says the cellphone is connected at 433 mbps link.

2. Laptop : My Y50-70 has Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC network card. Now I have data transfer speed of just around 5 mbps. Netgear app says the laptop is connected at 72 mbps link. Earlier I used to get 10-12 mbps stable speed on my old router.

I don't have any complain about internet speed (maximum I can get is 4mbps so no point talking about that) or ethernet speed where I am getting full 110 mbps transfer speed on WD Red HDD installed in my NAS on SATA II ports.

Can anyone point out whats happening here and what can I do to get maximum WiFi performance?
Old 17th October 2015, 19:27   #1174
BHPian

If you are having low data transfer rates, try checking for conflicting WiFi signals using a WiFi Analyzer. If you use an android device, install WiFi Analyzer from the play store. Its free. Run the app and see if the current channel is already being used by other WiFi signals. Its rare to get a channel which is not being used by other WiFi radios in the vicinity. Configure your router to use a channel which is being used by the least number of SSIDs and your data rates should automatically improve.
Old 17th October 2015, 23:29   #1175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
If you use an android device, install WiFi Analyzer from the play store. Its free. Run the app and see if the current channel is already being used by other WiFi signals.
I have checked that, my router is using free channels and signals are also quite high compared to other WiFi signals.
Old 18th October 2015, 03:25   #1176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
I have checked that, my router is using free channels and signals are also quite high compared to other WiFi signals.
Something is wrong somewhere. Do you have any cordless phones in your house?
Old 18th October 2015, 07:11   #1177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
Something is wrong somewhere. Do you have any cordless phones in your house?
No, thats also not the case. If any such external case would have been causing the trouble then my previous router also shouldn't have preformed to it's full capacity. The current Netgear R7000 is rated at AC 1900 mbps WiFi speed (600 mbps @2.4ghz, 1300 mbps @5.0 ghz so) and providing very good range also over my previous router. Also my phone has seen WiFi speed improvement (though not as much as expected) compared to previous router but laptop WiFi performance has decreased drastically.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 18th October 2015 at 07:29.
Old 18th October 2015, 10:34   #1178
BHPian

Quote:
No, thats also not the case. If any such external case would have been causing the trouble then my previous router also shouldn't have preformed to it's full capacity. The current Netgear R7000 is rated at AC 1900 mbps WiFi speed (600 mbps @2.4ghz, 1300 mbps @5.0 ghz so) and providing very good range also over my previous router. Also my phone has seen WiFi speed improvement (though not as much as expected) compared to previous router but laptop WiFi performance has decreased drastically.
In that case, I am sorry. I am not in a position to help you here.

Last edited by SumitB : 18th October 2015 at 10:40.
Old 18th October 2015, 11:18   #1179
BHPian

Quote:
*Netgear R7000 Query*
2. Laptop : My Y50-70 has Realtek RTL8723BE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC network card. Now I have data transfer speed of just around 5 mbps.

Try with channel 6 for the 2.4G SSID. I just disabled the AC SSID and am going to try with 2.4G myself for a few days.

Also are you comparing file copy speeds using same file on the two routers? Is it one large file that you are trying? You should be connected at greater than 72mbps that you mention in a later post. Try positioning yourself such that you are connected at 300Mbps or so and then try. I will try with my R7000 some tests today and revert.
Old 18th October 2015, 13:26   #1180
BHPian

Ok tested various combinations of settings on the R7000 - various security encryptions for the SSIS, with and without 5Ghz etc. When connecting to the 2.4G, my laptop connects at 144mbps. At the same location when connecting to the 5G, my laptop connects at 300mbps. However the speeds of file transfer - a 4Gb PST file is still below par of my earlier and cheaper Linksys N300. I am barely sitting 8 feet away from the router. I suppose this may be good with the AC devices. I have the Iphone 6+ but dont know how to test speeds with that. I am getting between 3-8Mbps of file transfer. I got one burst of about 10Mbps for a short while. Maybe it is some interference. Need to switch off all other stuff at home and retest on another day...
I plan to install DDWRT on this and maybe that may improve things a bit.

Last edited by diyguy : 18th October 2015 at 13:28.
Old 18th October 2015, 18:30   #1181
BHPian

Tried disabling 5g band and coukd see around 13-14 Mbps speed while transfering large 1 gb file. But atill its not any kind of gain over the previous 10-12 Mbps. Then phone again comes back to previous 5-7 Mbps speed on the 2.4 g band.

Another query is how do i setup Reliance broadband. They provide only ADSL line at my place so modem is required. My existinh Linksys WAG120N modem doesn't seem to be connecting on Reliance broadband. After fiddling around a bit I could manage to connect the net on my laptop but as soon as i shifted the modem line onto my router, it refused connecting again. Airtel has been running without any flaw but changed the connection for the better claimed speed at lower cost. Any idea how to reaolve this issue?

Last edited by tbppjpr : 18th October 2015 at 18:32.
Old 18th October 2015, 18:41   #1182
BHPian

Quote:
Airtel has been running without any flaw but changed the connection for the better claimed speed at lower cost.

Did you set the vci/pci parameters properly for reliance? Google and get those settings and manually change it on your modem. You may have since you said it worked once on your laptop...
Old 18th October 2015, 18:48   #1183
BHPian

Just managed to connect the Reliance broadband finally after 2-3 hours of exercise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Did you set the vci/pci parameters properly for reliance? Google and get those settings and manually change it on your modem. You may have since you said it worked once on your laptop...
Yeah, that I already done by googling but problem was internet wasn't connecting when I was trying to connect through modem+router. Even the modem light was glowing red on the router all the time. Looks like some config issue on local IP addresses.

Now remaining task is to get decent WiFi speed on my laptop and phone using this R7000 router.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 18th October 2015 at 18:54.
Old 18th October 2015, 23:42   #1184
Distinguished - BHPian

You have separate devices for modem and router?

(If you know about TCP/IP networking, ignore the rest of this post: it will only waste your time)

How have you connected them, and how have you set up their IP addresses? They must be different.

These devices tend to come out of the box (or factory reset to) as 192.168.1.1. You can leave the modem that way.

Change the router address to, say, 192.168.1.100, and then connect the modem LAN port to a LAN port on the router. Yes, they are both on the "same" network. And you can log into either. (the gateway adress, if you are configuring static ip info, is still the modem, not the router)

There is one more potential problem with this setup: it is a really bad idea to have more than one DHCP server on the same net, so turn off DHCP on one of them. Having more than one device on the same net with the same IP address is a serious error: stuff will stop working. Two DHCP servers can automate this error!

It might be intuitive to connect the WAN port of your router to the LAN port of the modem. You can, but if you do so, you are actually connecting two networks, and the place to start would be googling TCP/IP Primer. I've done all that that to satisfy the techie purist streak in me --- and now I just do it the easy way!

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 18th October 2015 at 23:51.
Old 20th October 2015, 15:30   #1185
BHPian

Netgear R7000 Nighthawk router : Guide to flash feature-rich open source custom firmware

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks