Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2016, 12:41   #1306
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
I prefer Asus routers to any. Solely cause of performance, features and reliability.
Is Asus really good? Asus and TPlink were two options I was looking at before going ahead with TPLink because I was not sure about the service and ease of configuration for Asus
Old 19th May 2016, 13:44   #1307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Is Asus really good? Asus and TPlink were two options I was looking at before going ahead with TPLink because I was not sure about the service and ease of configuration for Asus
Yup, I've been using the Asus RT-N12 N-300 for around 2 years now and I'm very happy with the range and options that are there. Limiting speed to others
Along with this, I use a WN3000RPv3 in the passage so I have Wi-Fi range everywhere in the house (3BHK)
Old 19th May 2016, 21:55   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
There are quite a few options, and TP-LINK TL-WR841N (N300 type) and D-Link DIR-600M (N150 type) seem to have the most number of reviews. I'll probably pick one of these two......
Ended up buying the TP-Link from Amazon. Browser-based setup was quick and easy to configure. Today's unscheduled WFH also gave me a chance to give it a sustained test run (it's been ON continuously for 14+ hours now) and it seems to handle extended hours well. My input Hathway line is 50 Mbps, and I'm getting 40 Mbps almost everywhere in my compact house. Serves my needs well and seems VFM @ INR 1078.

Another question for the geeks:

I've changed both the admin console username/password and SSID/password combinations. Left most other settings at default, including SSID broadcast ON. Am I secure enough or should I be doing something else?
Old 19th May 2016, 22:57   #1309
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I've changed both the admin console username/password and SSID/password combinations. ... ... ... Am I secure enough or should I be doing something else?
That could depend on what you changed them to!
Old 19th May 2016, 23:07   #1310
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
That could depend on what you changed them to!
Well, I didn't change them to '12345' & 'password' so no dunce cap for me.
I have a sharp-ish memory and near-OCD for complex passwords.

I just wanted to be sure I haven't missed any of the obvious or hidden stuff in the setup menus.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 19th May 2016 at 23:09.
Old 19th May 2016, 23:55   #1311
BHPian

Quote:
I have a sharp-ish memory and near-OCD for complex passwords.

I just wanted to be sure I haven't missed any of the obvious or hidden stuff in the setup menus.

Then all seems good
I too have the habit of complex passwords. For eg: @M3r!cA is just America
Old 20th May 2016, 02:12   #1312
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
@M3r!cA is just America
Not certain, not very uptodate on these things, but I thinkk that password hacking programs speek "l33t"

Quote:

And as long as you also didn't use "condom" or correcthorsebatterystaple either!

I've always liked the xkcd method of jumbling unconnected rubbish that consists of easily remembered parts.

Condom is, apparently, one of the most-used-as-password words ever! It only came up once, though, the last time I did an obvious-words check on a system.

For my wifi password, I just fill the box with random characters, and cut and paste it into a text file which I keep in a safe place. It is pain when it does have to be typed manually, though.

As I understand it, if someone is determined to hack our routers, they're gonna hack our routers. All we can do is make it marginally more difficult.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 20th May 2016 at 02:15.
Old 20th May 2016, 02:52   #1313
Distinguished - BHPian

<LATER THAT NIGHT...>

Ahhh... the internet!

Here is a very interesting discussion on password security, beginning with model suggested in the xkcd cartoon. It gets more interesting as it goes on, but hey, bedtime, and I had to bale out.
Old 20th May 2016, 08:41   #1314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ended up buying the TP-Link from Amazon. Browser-based setup was quick and easy to configure. Today's unscheduled WFH also gave me a chance to give it a sustained test run (it's been ON continuously for 14+ hours now) and it seems to handle extended hours well. My input Hathway line is 50 Mbps, and I'm getting 40 Mbps almost everywhere in my compact house. Serves my needs well and seems VFM @ INR 1078.

I've changed both the admin console username/password and SSID/password combinations. Left most other settings at default, including SSID broadcast ON. Am I secure enough or should I be doing something else?
If only your devices use the router, see if the MAC address based filter can be configured?
Old 20th May 2016, 08:45   #1315
Senior - BHPian

Guys, can the experts recommend a good wifi repeater or a booster. I get good signals across the house except for my room. I have a 50 Mbps connection at home.
Old 20th May 2016, 11:14   #1316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Guys, can the experts recommend a good wifi repeater or a booster. I get good signals across the house except for my room. I have a 50 Mbps connection at home.
For speed and better coverage, I would recommend buying a cheap router and using it as an access point. This is possible only if you can connect the two routers using CAT5 or higher cable.

If cable is not possible, Asus RT-N12 (~Rs.1000) is a good option (can be used as Router / AP / Range Extender). Other option would be Netgear WN3000RP (~Rs.2100).
Old 20th May 2016, 11:38   #1317
BHPian

Quote:

Good to learn you invested in an N300 type. Should last you a good number of years.

Others have already helped you on the security front.

Another thing you could do is choose an unused (by other networks around you) channel for the WiFi Router. Won't have conflicting networks around, and will improve connectivity.
Old 20th May 2016, 12:23   #1318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Asus RT-N12 N-300 can be used as a router/repeater and extender.
Netgear WN3000RPv3 can be installed at any plug point. Suggest it being right in the center of the house (I have mine in the passage) and it would provide range everywhere in the house (I have a 3bhk)
Old 20th May 2016, 14:05   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
If only your devices use the router, see if the MAC address based filter can be configured?
Yes, something to tinker with on the weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
Another thing you could do is choose an unused (by other networks around you) channel for the WiFi Router. Won't have conflicting networks around, and will improve connectivity.
I fortunately don't seem to have channel crowding issues around my apartment right now, but definitely noted for the future.
Old 20th May 2016, 14:40   #1320
BHPian

Quote:
I fortunately don't seem to have channel crowding issues around my apartment right now, but definitely noted for the future.
Fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
Can you please elaborate on this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks