Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2016, 13:55   #1336
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Some routers have an option to setup a public 'Guest' network for such scenarios. Mine does.
I will have to look for that.

Haven't really explored the options available in the WiFi Router's settings screens.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:11   #1337
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Some routers have an option to setup a public 'Guest' network for such scenarios. Mine does.
And you should be able to set it so that it allows access to the outside world but not to other devices on your network. Your guests can surf the net, but not your file server.

I've never used WPS with a PIN. In my router settings, it says "Disabled because an attack is detected!" There doesn't seem to be an option to disable the button. Maybe because one disables the button by not pressing it

The WPS PIN is eight digits. 0-99999999 is not many digits for a computer to count, so it wouldn't seem to take much a brute to force it.
Old 23rd May 2016, 15:16   #1338
BHPian

Hi Guys, I have a neatgear modem DGN2200. I was using it as a dslmodem+wifi router earlier. I have just shifted to cable modem and discovered that I can use it as a wifi router for the cable broadband too!!
I am facing a typical problem: It does not autologin. After a while the internet is not available and I have to connect the laptop and go to the login page to relogin and start internet( I can do so from my mobile too, by going to the login page). I could do that automatically when using DSL. Can I not do the same with cable?
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:13   #1339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys, I have a neatgear modem DGN2200. I was using it as a dslmodem+wifi router earlier. I have just shifted to cable modem and discovered that I can use it as a wifi router for the cable broadband too!!
I am facing a typical problem: It does not autologin. After a while the internet is not available and I have to connect the laptop and go to the login page to relogin and start internet( I can do so from my mobile too, by going to the login page). I could do that automatically when using DSL. Can I not do the same with cable?
You should be able to.

Login to your WiFi Router setup screen. Head to WAN Settings, & set the connection Type to PPPoE.
You have to enter the username & password provided by your ISP here; and you are good to go.
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:36   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

DSL modem/routers would normally expect the DSL (phone) line to be the "WAN" port. Some may also have an ethernet port that is, or can be configured as, a WAN port, to accommodate stuff like cable modems. Mine does: it has five ethernet sockets, including one called "internet"

However, if adg_andy's box looks like this: google image then there is no such port
Old 23rd May 2016, 17:42   #1341
BHPian

I had set it has PPoE in my DSL earlier. However, if I am setting PPoE or PPoA, this is not working: I have to either enter the credentials manually, or I am getting a MAC mismatch error(I have MAC binding on my Cable broadband).

PS: I used the RJ11 port(telephone cable) earlier for DSL. For the cable I am using the WAN port(one of the 4 RJ45 ethernet ports is marked as WAN). Connection is not a problem: auto login is :(
Old 23rd May 2016, 18:03   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
I have to either enter the credentials manually, or I am getting a MAC mismatch error(I have MAC binding on my Cable broadband).(
You need to spoof your laptop mac in the router and set it to PPPOE. I was on youbroadband cable myself and it needs PPPoE to be set (as tibby and thad mentioned). The MAC spoofing should take care of the mismatch error.
Old 23rd May 2016, 21:26   #1343
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IPS: I used the RJ11 port(telephone cable) earlier for DSL. For the cable I am using the WAN port(one of the 4 RJ45 ethernet ports is marked as WAN). Connection is not a problem: auto login is :(
Oh wait, it isn't that simple.

Let's start by collecting some information...
Is there a sticker on your cable modem telling you its IP address? What does it say?

What is the LAN IP address of your router?

What is the IP Address of your router WAN port?
All these things need to add up in the right way!

And, on second thoughts, it might be not only possible but easier to plug your cable modem into a LAN port on your router.

I have no experience of cable modems, only dsl (oh, and leased fibre a long time back... can you access its configuration?
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:12   #1344
BANNED

Need a WiFi router to work at home for 1000sqft area and 3rooms. I have a Hathway 50MbPs line in Delhi. Budget is under 5000Inr. Please suggest.

Last edited by Trust_In_Thrust : 23rd May 2016 at 22:14.
Old 23rd May 2016, 22:47   #1345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust_In_Thrust View Post
Need a WiFi router to work at home for 1000sqft area and 3rooms. I have a Hathway 50MbPs line in Delhi. Budget is under 5000Inr. Please suggest.
I would highly recommend Dlink DIR 816. Using it for more than a year. Excellent 2.4 GHz coverage and reliable. Only con is limited range of 5 Ghz band.
Old 24th May 2016, 01:43   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

Can someone please help me in getting the shop address of TP-LINK at Pune from where I can get a power cable for my Wifi Modem. Model number is TL-WR841N and the power requirement as mentioned at the back is 9V 0.6A.

While transferring to my current residence, the power cable accidentally got misplaced. I have tried contacting the customer care of TP LINK, but other than a single e-mail, I have no further communication.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
Old 24th May 2016, 09:51   #1347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Dear all,

Can someone please help me in getting the shop address of TP-LINK at Pune from where I can get a power cable for my Wifi Modem. Model number is TL-WR841N and the power requirement as mentioned at the back is 9V 0.6A.

While transferring to my current residence, the power cable accidentally got misplaced. I have tried contacting the customer care of TP LINK, but other than a single e-mail, I have no further communication.

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards,
I would have no idea of shops in Pune.

However, a quick Google search pointed me to these options available online:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3

EDIT: Two of the above three sellers, are based out of Mumbai. Courier should be pretty prompt to Pune.

PS: I have no personal interests in any of the links shared above.

Last edited by tibby : 24th May 2016 at 09:53.
Old 24th May 2016, 14:55   #1348
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majumdarda View Post
Model number is TL-WR841N and the power requirement as mentioned at the back is 9V 0.6A.
I don't use TP Link but my routers power cable was interchangeable with Tata sky set top box. I only check if the pin fits in the socket and whether the voltage matches. Most of these adapters are 1 amp which is more than your required 0.6 amp. Any electronic store will sell you this.
Old 24th May 2016, 15:33   #1349
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
And you should be able to set it so that it allows access to the outside world but not to other devices on your network. Your guests can surf the net, but not your file server.
Yep, all done. I must say the el-cheapo TP-LINK I bought is pretty feature rich and easy to use.

Quote:
The WPS PIN is eight digits. 0-99999999 is not many digits for a computer to count, so it wouldn't seem to take much a brute to force it.
Funnily enough, changing SSID & password doesn't extend to WPS or guest mode. I checked and those screens still show the default SSID & 8-digit PIN. Thankfully configurable so I can change it if I ever need it!
Old 24th May 2016, 20:21   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post

However, a quick Google search pointed me to these options available online:
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Thank you very much Tibby. You have really saved me. I am definitely going to place an order for a pair, should there be a requirement again.

Best regards,

Most Viewed