Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2016, 18:41   #1261
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
There you go! PM me if you want a specific area.
Hi, can you upload for Pune/Hadapsar area?
Any hint on plan pricing?

Cheers,

Ace.
Old 15th February 2016, 18:49   #1262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post
Hi, can you upload for Pune/Hadapsar area?
Any hint on plan pricing?

Cheers,

Ace.
Not the best coverage are but its reasonable. Maybe they'll cover it up by April.

Not a hint of pricing and plans yet. But I have heard that they are trying to pull a Google Fiber like service in most of the metro cities wherein you'll have the Television as well as broadband through the same line. Also some rumors about 3 free months of usage for regular public if every tenant agrees to opt for their services.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-1455542350366.jpg  

Old 15th February 2016, 19:45   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
The cost for employees is 2K. I am yet to find a place without coverage. At home it has constant speed of about 5Mbps. Last night when I was in Koparkhairne (Navi Mumbai) I could easily get 8.5Mbps. Also the Jio app they have provided shows all the coverage areas within India, which includes all Tier 1 and most of the Tier 2 cities. Eager to find out the coverage at any place? Ask me and I'll upload the screenshot.
Can you please check for Telangana as a whole and Hyderabad and Secunderabad too?

Thanks
Old 15th February 2016, 20:36   #1264
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
You can have squid with caching completely disabled (cache deny all).

Some other things I can suggest are:

- cheaper external storage to not tax your SSD too much. Laptop drives with SATA-USB adapters is what I have: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00GKC8EKA (currently two drives).

- dumpcap running perennially. I run dumpcap logging to a ramdisk and move stuff to my external storage every hour via cron.

And of course, I have decent UPS backup.

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into disabling the cache as you suggest. This part of the project will be reserved for the next free weekend.

The external drive is a question mark as I am not sure if the USB port will be able to power the drive continuously for hours on end. PFSense has been installed on a Netgate miniITX board running off an external adapter (like a Wi-fi router) not a full fledged PC. I am thinking of trying a 32 GB or larger flash drive instead.

The entire setup including my PC, NAS, routers, Gbe switch, ADSL modem, and more are attached to my APC Smart UPS. So power failures of short duration are covered.

What do you use dumpcap for? Is this a part of Wireshark?
Old 15th February 2016, 22:57   #1265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulsian View Post
Can you please check for Telangana as a whole and Hyderabad and Secunderabad too?

Thanks
Looks patchy! Hope to see developments in the coming months
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-1455557162058.jpg  

On Wi-Fi & Routers-1455557174020.jpg  

On Wi-Fi & Routers-1455557184310.jpg  

Old 16th February 2016, 09:36   #1266
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
The cost for employees is 2K. I am yet to find a place without coverage. At home it has constant speed of about 5Mbps. Last night when I was in Koparkhairne (Navi Mumbai) I could easily get 8.5Mbps. Also the Jio app they have provided shows all the coverage areas within India, which includes all Tier 1 and most of the Tier 2 cities. Eager to find out the coverage at any place? Ask me and I'll upload the screenshot.
apart from 4g, is Reliance jio going to launch FTTH too? It was mentioned in a few news articles, but not widely discussed.
Old 16th February 2016, 11:15   #1267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
apart from 4g, is Reliance jio going to launch FTTH too? It was mentioned in a few news articles, but not widely discussed.
Definitely! I did discuss it in one of the previous posts. They are hoping to pull a Google Fiber. The employee website has a Home broadband section but it shows Coming soon! Will update as soon as I know something.
Old 16th February 2016, 13:44   #1268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Hey abhinav you dont need one in UK. It comes with the internet connection hence no need to take one from here.
http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-TL-WR84...b-6ddd47fa10d1

This works well for me with an ADSL connection.
Manage to get connectivity 2 floors above (about 50%) and at 1 floor above (80% range)
Old 18th February 2016, 13:22   #1269
BHPian

Hi,

I am currently using ACT 40 Mbps connection and using Netgear 1010 router which is nearly 8 years old. Till few months back I was using 20 Mbps plan and at that time during speedtest I was able to see 19-21 Mbps speed. When the connection was upgraded to 40 Mbps by ACT, still I am getting only 20 MBps in speedtest. ACT technician suggested that the router used by me is not supporting 40 Mbps speed and I try connecting my Laptop through a LAN cable to test the same.
Need to clarify the below.
1. Is it possible that my router is not able to cast internet beyond 20 Mbps?
2. Can anyone suggest a good router where 50/75 Mbps can be delivered over wifi?

Thanks
Old 18th February 2016, 19:40   #1270
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Netgear 1010 router which is nearly 8 years old.

2. Can anyone suggest a good router where 50/75 Mbps can be delivered over wifi?
It is possible that your antediluvian AP supports only the older 802.11b standard which is limited to 11 Mbps. Best would be to upgrade to one that supports the newer 802.11n/ac standards (2.4 GHz and 5GHz). TP-Link makes some good cost-effective ones, search on the usual suspects for one that suits your requirements and budget.
Old 25th February 2016, 11:26   #1271
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Hi,

I am currently using ACT 40 Mbps connection and using Netgear 1010 router which is nearly 8 years old. Till few months back I was using 20 Mbps plan and at that time during speedtest I was able to see 19-21 Mbps speed. When the connection was upgraded to 40 Mbps by ACT, still I am getting only 20 MBps in speedtest. ACT technician suggested that the router used by me is not supporting 40 Mbps speed and I try connecting my Laptop through a LAN cable to test the same.
Need to clarify the below.

Thanks
Go for tp-link archer c20 , which supports ac standard. usually available for around Rs.2000
http://www.amazon.in/TP-LINK-Archer-...6379559&sr=1-1
Old 25th February 2016, 11:46   #1272
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Go for tp-link archer c20 , which supports ac standard. usually available for around Rs.2000
I use the Gigabit iteration of this router, called the C2. To be honest, AC works well for devices that are connected in a short range. Besides; you need to ask yourself how many AC standard devices you have that can benefit. If there are none, I recommend the TP Link TL-WDR4300 over the C2. You will get much better range and consistency when it comes to speed.

I used to have my iphone connected over AC. The range was so short that I switched back to N. Unless off course, you buy a really pricey AC standard router with multiple antenna's. I'd pick a higher quality multi antenna wireless N series router like the 4300.

If you have budget constraint, look no further than the TP Link TL-WR841N. This router out performs my C2 when it comes to range and costs Rs. 1100 or so.

Please note that with band with speeds every increasing, it is good to invest on a router that will support you long term.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 25th February 2016 at 12:01.
Old 20th March 2016, 12:06   #1273
BANNED

Need help !

I'm trying to change admin password for D-link dir 615 but it won't let me change it, any way to get it work, current password is blank, any other firmware that this router can support ?
Thanks.
Old 20th March 2016, 13:33   #1274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post
I'm trying to change admin password for D-link dir 615 but it won't let me change it
What error do you get? You can always restore to factory defaults and start again...
Old 29th March 2016, 08:38   #1275
Distinguished - BHPian

Can I use a ADSL-2 Wi-Fi router as a Wi-Fi Router (without ADSL) ?

I have a ADSL-2 Router, running on BSNL broadband. I have now got a BSNL's FTTH connection. The FTTH modem does not have wi-fi, hence will need a wi-fi router now.

IMO, Logically, I need to get the routing config (default router, next hop) set correctly. Question is how ?

FTTH Modem is on 192.168.1.251 /24
Router is on 192.168.1.250 /24

DHCP range starts at 192.168.1.1 /24.

I think this part all matches.

The question is about the default gateways, the DNS server IP's & stuff.

Help, pls !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks