Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2020, 21:34   #2011
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I am facing a lag while sending whatsapp messages using JioFiber even though there are no speed issues when I check the speed it is 150 Mbps for both upload and download.

And another issue is the router with JioFiber being a dual band router sometimes the 5Ghz or 5g one as they call it loses connectivity and does not re-connect with Iphones or amazon firestick.

Anybody else facing the same issues and any resolutions for the same?
I faced the issue with connecting to 5Ghz band for the first time yesterday. Never had this before in 1.5 years even though I have been using a different white router, JCO500 till last week. I had to go to the Jio app and reenter the same password for the 5Ghz band to get the devices to connect. Not sure why this happened.I will have to keep an eye on this.
Old 21st September 2020, 09:58   #2012
BHPian

Guys, I recently upgrade my home networking to cat6, from the isp switch in my apartment to my router . To all the wires in he walls to the bedrooms. All cat 6 now.

But my network speeds have only reduced. Are here any settings in my router I need to change to take advantage of the new cabling?
I really need the speed, with WFH and online classes, it’s really slow.
Old 21st September 2020, 10:36   #2013
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv97 View Post
I am facing a lag while sending whatsapp messages using JioFiber even though there are no speed issues
I am observing the same, my ISP being ACT.

I haven't configured/enabled battery optimization ever in my phones till date, so there is no question of messages awaiting the app to be opened, to be delivered.

While sending too, it just remains as it is, no tick mark indicating its sent/delivered.

Doesn't happen on mobile data.

"Use mobile data when Wi-Fi is weak/unavailable" also doesn't seem to work for me with WhatsApp.

I have people informing me on other chat platforms that their messages have not yet been delivered on WhatsApp.

Using Real Me X2 Pro, Android 10, latest security patch.
Old 21st September 2020, 13:28   #2014
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viXit View Post
Are here any settings in my router I need to change to take advantage of the new cabling?
Sometimes the issue can occur due to improper crimping of the CAT cables. If you have provision of power near the ISP ONT box, you can use a smaller 3 / 6 ft CAT cable, like the one you use with your computer to wall socket, and connect the router there and then test the speed. Based on it you should know if crimping is defective.

Also, does your router has gigabit ports? If you have >100 mbps plan then you need to get a router that has gigabit ports.
Old 21st September 2020, 14:34   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Would you mind sharing some recommendations, something that can be used with Hathway's fiber-optic input?
Thank you!
https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.flipkart.com/d-link-dir-...mfypg6g2cxdxcy
I was in the same situation as you. The router provided by hathway is single band so does not show up the 100 mbps on the wifi 2.4 ghz band.
Any of the above dual band routers will give you the desired 100 mbps download speeds on the 5ghz band, provided you choose the server as Hathway while dong the test on speedtest.net.
hrman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 14:41   #2016
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I recently upgrade my home networking to cat6, from the isp switch in my apartment to my router. But my network speeds have only reduced.
Cat6 and the previous Cat5e are, for most consumer-grade applications, identical. Differences are perceptible only when done in datacenters etc.

If you are seeing a change in speed, it is more likely due to some interference that was introduced as part of the cable swap exercise.
Old 21st September 2020, 15:06   #2017
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Sometimes the issue can occur due to improper crimping of the CAT cables. If you have provision of power near the ISP ONT box, you can use a smaller 3 / 6 ft CAT cable, like the one you use with your computer to wall socket, and connect the router there and then test the speed. Based on it you should know if crimping is defective.

Also, does your router has gigabit ports? If you have >100 mbps plan then you need to get a router that has gigabit ports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Cat6 and the previous Cat5e are, for most consumer-grade applications, identical. Differences are perceptible only when done in datacenters etc.

If you are seeing a change in speed, it is more likely due to some interference that was introduced as part of the cable swap exercise.
the older cable was a cat 5 cable, not 5e.
I'm going by what was written on the wire shielding.

The cable had 4 wires inside, i.e 2 pairs.
This was installed by act fibernet in our home.

The updated cabling as of yesterday is cat 6 with 8 wires, i.e 4 pairs.

I'm sorry if I messed up the nomenclature.

My question was,
Since the cabling is gone from 2 pair to 4 pair. Does my router automatically know that it got an upgraded cable? or is it still running on only 2 pairs despite have 2 more new pairs in it's cabling?

My apartment gets yellow optical fibre cables, which then go to a modem, then a network switch, which then sends a connection via a cat 6 cable to each flat in the apartment which uses act fibernet. They bent the wire a little too much during installation, I'm guessing that damaged the wire in some way.
I shall try to plug directly into my network switch and see the speed. and then I'll update.

Act fibernet has been giving us quite the headache, Planning of switching to BSNL FTTH or JioFiber, Any advice regarding that? are they better or worse?

This is the speed despite paying for a 100Megabit connection

On Wi-Fi & Routers-netspeed.jpg

Last edited by viXit : 21st September 2020 at 15:15.
viXit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2020, 15:23   #2018
BHPian

Quote:

My question was,
Since the cabling is gone from 2 pair to 4 pair. Does my router automatically know that it got an upgraded cable? or is it still running on only 2 pairs despite have 2 more new pairs in it's cabling?

Even in CAT6 cable, only 2 pairs are used for data upload and download. The other 2 pairs are used for other purposes like Power over Ethernet (PoE).

Also, the router has RJ45 connector attached to CAT6 as input only. So the pins on the connector should match for data transfer. If not there might not have been any upload or download at all which is not the case.

Have you checked with ACT if they have upgraded your plan in the backend?
Old 21st September 2020, 15:31   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Even in CAT6 cable, only 2 pairs are used for data upload and download. The other 2 pairs are used for other purposes like Power over Ethernet (PoE).
OH!
That's news to me,
I was under the impression that the 4 extra wires create more lanes for better speeds.
Quote:
Have you checked with ACT if they have upgraded your plan in the backend?
What kind of update could this be

My plan has been a 100mbps one ever since the beginning.( even when I had the previous 2 pair cable)
But the technician did mention some kind of update that they have to do on their end for me to be able to get better speeds.
Old 21st September 2020, 17:19   #2020
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the speed despite paying for a 100Megabit connection
You should call up ACT and show them this picture. If you are contracting for 100 Mbps and this is what they are delivering, raise hell.

It looks to me that your port is configured to be capped at 25 Mbps at their end.
Old 21st September 2020, 18:26   #2021
BHPian

Quote:
You should call up ACT and show them this picture. If you are contracting for 100 Mbps and this is what they are delivering, raise hell.

It looks to me that your port is configured to be capped at 25 Mbps at their end.
Because there is a really messy situation with the wires in our apartment, the technicians are refusing to come to our apartments. I have written several E-Mails to their customer care but to no avail. They do not have a call centre and their chatbot based complaints section is of no use.

The technicians are paid per number of jobs, the jobs in our apartment will take longer, thereby reducing the no of jobs so their compensation is affected. So they are outright rejecting coming to our colony. I don't know what else to do.
I'm helpless here.

On the other hand, I just did a speedtest and surprisingly I got 40 Mbit sustained Download speed.
Attaching results snap.

EDIT: I just streamed an 8k video on youtube and except for the first 10 seconds, It didn't stutter at all. It downloaded a minute extra so it doesn't buffer that said, I'm still not happy with ACT's service.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-netspeed.jpg  

Last edited by viXit : 21st September 2020 at 18:34.
Old 22nd September 2020, 11:35   #2022
BHPian

Quote:
EDIT: I just streamed an 8k video on Youtube and except for the first 10 seconds, It didn't stutter at all. It downloaded a minute extra so it doesn't buffer that said, I'm still not happy with ACT's service.
The correct test is to do it via ethernet cable or if your router has a built in speed test. If you use 2.4Ghz band usually you will see the speed in the range of 40-60Mbps.
I am 6 feet from my gaming router and have a 200Mbps connection and this is the result around 80Mbps. https://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/6529533020
And this is from my router.
Attached Thumbnails
On Wi-Fi & Routers-1600754733729.jpg  

Old 22nd September 2020, 16:40   #2023
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
No I don't have gigabit ports.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The correct test is to do it via ethernet cable or if your router has a built in speed test.
My problem has to be with real world usage. It takes a minute to launch most websites.
Sometimes it's fast, sometimes it's not.
I'm runnin 1.1.1.1 DNS , could this be a reason for slower load times??
I'm gonna go test my connection speed at my router by directly plugging in the laptop to the wire from the isp switch , and at the switch itslef and I'll tell you what I see.
Old 22nd September 2020, 16:50   #2024
BANNED

Quote:
I'm runnin 1.1.1.1 DNS , could this be a reason for slower load times??
I'm gonna go test my connection speed at my router by directly plugging in the laptop to the wire from the isp switch , and at the switch itslef and I'll tell you what I see.
Try using google DNS service. (Google, of course, for IP address)

You typically have to tell your router / modem to use this. Try looking for "Use custom DNS" or similar option in modem settings. Alternative is to use a device like a mobile to check if custom DNS speeds up things and then tinker with modem"s settings.

This is applicable only if your problem happens with initial name server resolution.
Old 22nd September 2020, 17:22   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My problem has to be with real world usage. It takes a minute to launch most websites. [...] I'm runnin 1.1.1.1 DNS , could this be a reason for slower load times??
It shouldn't, but you ideally should configure it on some device which has a DNS cache running (and not directly on the end device which typically has only a DNS resolver).

Also as per this:

https://www.dnsperf.com/dns-provider/cloudflare

Cloudflare (1.1.1.1) is slightly worse off than Google when queried from Asia.

But it is unlikely that DNS is your problem - if it takes 1 minute for most websites you have something else going wrong. It needs serious troubleshooting. You could start with Chrome's Developer Tools.

I maintain a list of public DNS servers here, btw:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...RTpfXNFTSYTAw/

In my home we mostly use Adguard Family Protection, because with online classes even my 9 year old daughter is on the Internet unsupervised for some part of the day.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks