Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2020, 09:53   #2056
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
Why does 2.4 GHz provide less speed ( 50 Mbps) but 5 GHz provide good speed ( 200 Mbps). I have 300 Mbps plan from ACT. I have ac1200 router which supports higher speed. I am scratching my head over this for last 2 days.

As per standards, 2.4 GHz can support excess of 300 Mbps speed.

Can ISP throttle based on 2.4 g vs 5 g session?
Simple answer - those are theoretical negotiation speeds which you'll never hit in real life due to losses and interference. Also the speeds depend on the router that you have and how far you are from it. if you are using a crap isp router or a cheap router they have slow CPUs that can't route WAN to LAN traffic fast enough.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 21st October 2020 at 09:56.
Old 21st October 2020, 09:58   #2057
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by avimal View Post
My router is Asus ac1500 so this is not a problem. Asus support team is debugging it now.
Hope the issue is resolved.
It doesn't matter if your router is dual band.
You said you are getting lower speeds on 2.4 GHz.
There are three modes in 2.4GHz -> b, g, n.
b gives lower speeds and n gives the highest.

You would have options in the router configuration to select which band to use, such as only b, only g, b+g, b+g+n etc.
Your router may be setup to use b+g+n or b+g.

I was suspecting that the device you are using to test the speed is connecting to the router using band b.
So, disable that option in the router configuration by selecting g only or n only or g+n or similar, except b. With this setting applied check your speeds.
Old 21st October 2020, 15:29   #2058
BHPian

Any suggestions for a good router which is having a good deal in the ongoing sale on Amazon or Flipkart?

Looking for something for my 3 BHK apartment having a carpet area of about 1200 square feet. Usage will be one laptop, 3 mobile phones and one smart tv connected at a time. My society may get Airtel Xtreme fiber service soon. And I plan to take their 100 mbps plan. So a router that can handle upto 300 mbps (keeping some buffer for future) will be ideal.
Old 27th October 2020, 15:59   #2059
BHPian

Has anyone ever tried to cut and splice together the wire from 12v adapters that come with ISP modems and normal WiFi routers? Is it simple just like a normal electric wire or is there something complex in it? I recently bought a Xiaomi AX3600 AX router and to connect it to my mini ups I need a converter. I haven’t been able to find this converter as it uses an unusual proprietary format. The router costs around 12k so I don’t want to risk cutting the wire unless it is an easy task as I would lose its power supply if things go wrong.
Old 27th October 2020, 16:50   #2060
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Has anyone ever tried to cut and splice together the wire from 12v adapters that come with ISP modems and normal WiFi routers? Is it simple just like a normal electric wire or is there something complex in it? I recently bought a Xiaomi AX3600 AX router and to connect it to my mini ups I need a converter. I haven't been able to find this converter as it uses an unusual proprietary format. The router costs around 12k so I don't want to risk cutting the wire unless it is an easy task as I would lose its power supply if things go wrong.
It is a plain simple electrical wire. You could just test the negative and positive poles on the barrel connector and plug the cut off adapater side directly to your UPS. There is absolutely no complication. It is a plain wire.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 16:52   #2061
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
It is a plain simple electrical wire. You could just test the negative and positive poles on the barrel connector and plug the cut off adapater side directly to your UPS. There is absolutely no complication. It is a plain wire.
Or better still, just get a plain 2 core wire and solder a barrel connector to it to fit in the router. This way you save the original adapter with the wire for some later point in time.
Traveler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2020, 18:36   #2062
Senior - BHPian

Any recommendation for a Router in the 1500-2500 range. My trusted 7 year old TP Link finally gave away. With these sales happening, might pick up one soon.
Old 27th October 2020, 18:44   #2063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Any suggestions for a good router which is having a good deal in the ongoing sale on Amazon or Flipkart?

Looking for something for my 3 BHK apartment having a carpet area of about 1200 square feet. Usage will be one laptop, 3 mobile phones and one smart tv connected at a time. My society may get Airtel Xtreme fiber service soon. And I plan to take their 100 mbps plan. So a router that can handle upto 300 mbps (keeping some buffer for future) will be ideal.
Some suggestions please
Old 28th October 2020, 00:32   #2064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by catchjyoti View Post
Some suggestions please
TPLink Archer C6 is a wonderful Gigabit Router. It has proper Gigabit WAN and LAN Ports and dual band Wifi.
Traveler is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2020, 16:37   #2065
BHPian

Experts, need help with troubleshooting. My connection is getting disconnected frequently. The no connection lasts 10 to 30 seconds but it is good enough to disconnect VDI. I raised multiple complaints with Airtel. They always say they fixed it but it still behaves the same. What could be the issue? I understand it is not a cabling issue rather some setting in the backend. Any ideas?
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:06   #2066
Senior - BHPian

Need help solving a network issue.

So I have a ZTE cable modem connection on the ground floor. An Ethernet cable connects this modem to my TP LINK Router on the fist floor. Both floor get WIFI through respective devices.

The thing is the IP address for my ZTE is now same as that of my TP Link router. So every time I try to go into the settings of the router, the IP address takes me to the settings of the ZTE modem.

I disconnected the zte modem and tried to connect the internet cable directly into the TP Link router so I can change the default IP address but the cable would not fit any of the ports on the router.

Any suggestions. I am unable to use my router because of this now.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:12   #2067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
The thing is the IP address for my ZTE is now same as that of my TP Link router.
The TP Link should be configured to work as an access point and not as a router. There may be a physical switch you can check to make it an AP. I assume this was working for you prior. There may be more config changes you need to make on the TP Link, but try this for now. For eg the TP link must be set as a DHCP forwarder, but the physical switch may cause this to happen anyway.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:23   #2068
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
The TP Link should be configured to work as an access point and not as a router. There may be a physical switch you can check to make it an AP. I assume this was working for you prior. There may be more config changes you need to make on the TP Link, but try this for now. For eg the TP link must be set as a DHCP forwarder, but the physical switch may cause this to happen anyway.
Thanks for responding.
Yes, it was working perfectly fine earlier, but somehow has stopped working only recently. I checked, but I just have a reset switch and a WIFI on/off switch. All the configurations are inside the IP portal which I cannot access now. Any other suggestion? The router is WDR3600.
Old 2nd November 2020, 17:40   #2069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
and tried to connect the internet cable directly into the TP Link router
How would you change IP of router by connecting internet cable into router? Please connect your laptop lan port to one of the lan port in tp link router. Then you'd be able to access the router settings.
Old 2nd November 2020, 18:18   #2070
BHPian

Right now I have a simple modem cum router given by the BSNL franchisee in my society. But it's range is not very good. I believe if I connect it with a LAN cable to a better router (like a TP-Link Archer that I am thinking of buying), the bandwidth available from the better router will be half that of what is available in the basic router.

So I think I will get a modem-only device for my BSNL FTTH connection and then attach it with the LAN cable to the better router. I hope my bandwidth will then not get halved.

Am I thinking this right? If yes, then what are some modem-only device that I can get for this purpose?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks