Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2020, 20:10   #1996
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Folks,
I have been using Hathway Fiber connection with 100Mbps speed. The hathway device (a router?) is connected to my laptop using a LAN cable.

On my laptop, if I check on Fast.com or Speedtest.com, I see speeds around 100-120Mbps.
Devices that are connected using WIFI, the speeds seldom go above 50Mbps and usually around 30-50Mbps range. This happens even when I'm in the same room where the router is present.

I find it strange. It kinds of defeats the purpose of having a connection with relatively higher speed. What shall I do to fix the wifi connectivity?
Old 7th September 2020, 20:27   #1997
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7000plusrpm View Post
Folks,
I have been using Hathway Fiber connection with 100Mbps speed. The hathway device (a router?) is connected to my laptop using a LAN cable.

On my laptop, if I check on Fast.com or Speedtest.com, I see speeds around 100-120Mbps.
Devices that are connected using WIFI, the speeds seldom go above 50Mbps and usually around 30-50Mbps range. This happens even when I'm in the same room where the router is present.

I find it strange. It kinds of defeats the purpose of having a connection with relatively higher speed. What shall I do to fix the wifi connectivity?

Which router do you have ?
Old 7th September 2020, 20:30   #1998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Which router do you have ?
It's a ZTE one, model is ZTE ZXHN F612W. It was provided by Hathway.
Old 7th September 2020, 20:39   #1999
BHPian

Quote:
Folks,

This is probably because the router might be single band. You need to get a dual band router which broadcasts over the both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
The 2.4 GHz band provides network to a larger area but sacrifices speed and 5 GHz gives faster speeds over a smaller area.
Vikalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 07:02   #2000
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
OK. That is a good router IMO. It is a fiber ONT device. Check if the router settings has a configuration for wifi signal strength or transmission power. If yes, check if it is @100 percent or max value.

If you are standing 10 feet away from router in direct line of sight then you should get almost the speed advertised. That is the recommended way to test the speed.
Old 8th September 2020, 07:36   #2001
Senior - BHPian

Netgear Nighthawk is available at a massive discount. Even after the price off its Rs 27K. Any idea why its so expensive? It does say high-wifi speed, but are our devices ready
Attached Images

Old 8th September 2020, 09:36   #2002
BHPian

Quote:
Limiting to 30/50 on is typically a nature of 2.4Ghz band. Check if you have a 5Ghz option. You can check using this app on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer

If there is no 5Ghz network, you will need to get a good dual band router (TPlink C6 is a good budget model).

This is how it will show 5Ghz network.
On Wi-Fi & Routers-screenshot_202009080933532.jpg
Old 8th September 2020, 10:27   #2003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Any idea why its so expensive?
  1. It is a "premium" product and priced accordingly
  2. Pretty good components and specs such as :
    • Excellent radio (160 MHz) with WiFi 6
    • Realistic support for 1 gbps WiFi for recent laptops and desktops
    • iPhone 7 and later should get 833 mbps connections. Upcoming iPhones to support 1.2 gbps.
    • 8 Radios, should work with heavy LAN traffic over WiFi
    • Powerful CPU + RAM. Realistic capacity to provide VPN across the network.

Most users don't need it (say if internet connection is ~200 mbps or lower and do not use a media / file server at home).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
It does say high-wifi speed, but are our devices ready
Newer iOS devices already are. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-ipho...means-for-you/

Android flagships also support MIMO and other features.
NetfreakBombay is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th September 2020, 10:42   #2004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikalp View Post
This is probably because the router might be single band. You need to get a dual band router which broadcasts over the both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
Limiting to 30/50 on is typically a nature of 2.4Ghz band. Check if you have a 5Ghz option. You can check using this app on Android.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....wifi.analyzer

If there is no 5Ghz network, you will need to get a good dual band router (TPlink C6 is a good budget model).

This is how it will show 5Ghz network.
Attachment 2052928
Below pictures show the current and all available channels. Right now, sitting right next to the router, the speeds on fast.com is 70Mbps.

On Wi-Fi & Routers-wifichannels.jpg
On Wi-Fi & Routers-wifichannels2.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
OK. That is a good router IMO. It is a fiber ONT device. Check if the router settings has a configuration for wifi signal strength or transmission power. If yes, check if it is @100 percent or max value.
I have checked it, it is at 100% now. See the attachment below.
On Wi-Fi & Routers-zte_config.jpg
Old 9th September 2020, 14:07   #2005
BHPian

Quote:
Below pictures show the current and all available channels.
This is a 2.4ghz router. For better connectivity you need a dual band router with
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:31   #2006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suku_patel_22 View Post
This is a 2.4ghz router. For better connectivity you need a dual band router with
Would you mind sharing some recommendations, something that can be used with Hathway's fiber-optic input?
Thank you!
Old 9th September 2020, 14:49   #2007
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Would you mind sharing some recommendations, something that can be used with Hathway's fiber-optic input?
Thank you!
The router provided by JIO fiber connection is dual band. See if you can procure that.

Note - The Fiber optic routers are called ONT devices.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2020, 14:50   #2008
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you!
Either Hathway gives you a better router, or you can get an additional router and connect this as input. Depending on budget, good ones(TPLink C6) start at around 2k.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2020, 11:07   #2009
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shreyak_ss View Post
So I got a TP Link Deco M4 - 3 pack, installed as per the guidelines on the app. It worked fine for a couple of days but now I'm facing a peculiar issue.

My main router is placed next to my Jiofiber router connected through LAN on the first floor and the two satellite routers are placed on the ground floor, 1 just below it and the other one some 20ft apart. When I connect to the main router on first floor there's no issue with the connection, however when I connect to the satellite ones on the ground floor, it shows "IP configuration failure" on my android phone. It worked fine for a bit initially but now it just doesn't connect to the satellite routers. Same is the case with other devices also both iOS and Android. I have a Jio set top box on the ground floor that also refuses to connect even though its showing range of the satellite routers. I'm in a fix now because this totally defeats the purpose of getting a mesh system in the first place.

Can anyone help me out, if I have to change any router settings or something else? I tried to relocate the routers in the ground floor but the problem still persists even though the routers are connected with each other.
you probably have DHCP "on" with both Jio and TP link. This causes a problem of IP address conflict.
Ideally only the main Jio router should have DHCP on, and the remaining should be functioning as access points.
Old 13th September 2020, 12:19   #2010
BHPian

I am facing a lag while sending whatsapp messages using JioFiber even though there are no speed issues when I check the speed it is 150 Mbps for both upload and download.

And another issue is the router with JioFiber being a dual band router sometimes the 5Ghz or 5g one as they call it loses connectivity and does not re-connect with Iphones or amazon firestick.

Anybody else facing the same issues and any resolutions for the same?

Last edited by sv97 : 13th September 2020 at 12:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks