Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2020, 10:03   #1861
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Saw the sleekest router at Mi. Anybody has any experience with these? The Mi store in Bangalore is full of gizmos.
This is their basic router, decent for 1200 sq ft coverage, to be honest.
babhishek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:26   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Saw the sleekest router at Mi. Anybody has any experience with these? The Mi store in Bangalore is full of gizmos.
Dont know which version is that. I have MiRouter3C. It worked well for about 8 or 9 months, then adapter gave up, later router itself started re-booting every 5 mins and lost configuration. The app is good for any control and configuration. The best thing about the router is its wall penetration mode. I get 4/5 signal strength beyond 2 walls in my apartment.
So now I use it as WiFi repeater.
_chikku is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2020, 12:44   #1863
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to buy a Reliance Jio hot spot/portable wireless router as a backup.

Any idea which of those models is the latest one? The Jio website lists just 3 for sale- JMR540, M2 and M2S, but on other sites like Flipkart, I see things like Jiofi6 (jmr1040) (some sort of circular thingie).

Any ideas, and does it really make a difference? Thanks for your time!
Old 25th June 2020, 18:37   #1864
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Any idea which of those models is the latest one? The Jio website lists just 3 for sale- JMR540, M2 and M2S, but on other sites like Flipkart, I see things like Jiofi6 (jmr1040) (some sort of circular thingie).

Buy JMR540. The difference is in battery capacity and range. The newer ones are having slightly better WiFi range.
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2020, 21:18   #1865

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post

Why buy a network tied device at all? Why not an unlocked device? Say like the Huawei E5573C, that came in Airtel, Idea branding and may be Vodafone branding as well. These are available online, in unlocked state. Or you might get one cheap and unlock it yourself. Unlocking a E5573C is easy and there are numerous tutorials available online, if you are technically inclined. You aren't network tied with these, whatever plan/network coverage suits your mobility area, you plug the respective SIM in. Avoid buying the Alcatel ones, with similar Airtel, Idea, Vodafone branding. These are a little more difficult to unlock; and I am not sure how they stand against a Huawei, in terms reliability, latency and WiFi spread. I hope you are not wary of Huawei using backdoor entries to your WiFi.

You can of course buy a network tied Jio if you get a real good deal; they do go out for almost free sometimes, with pre-packaged plans. You just need to badger the sales agent hard. They are desperate to meet their sales target.

W.r.t. to the particular JioFi model, IMO, you should pick up a JMR540. I don't know if it is better - battery and coverage wise. But, the biggest USP that I found in this device is that it boots and works without the battery. . I have a few of these hooked across my businesses here, sans the battery, on power back up 24X7; I didn't want the batteries to toast. They are working alright. Other JioFi models might support this feature, without battery, as well. You will have to research on it. And, I just haven't gotten down to unlocking my JMR540s; not sure if it's possible. And, I don't know whether JioFi supports LTE bands that other networks use, if we end up unlocking it.
ElonSkum is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2020, 18:04   #1866
BHPian

Has anyone replaced Huawei router that Airtel provided while installing vfiber connection ? or any recommended alternate option ? I have a 200 MBPS connection if that matters.
Thanks!
Old 4th July 2020, 07:16   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Has anyone replaced Huawei router that Airtel provided while installing vfiber connection ? or any recommended alternate option ? I have a 200 MBPS connection if that matters.
Thanks!
I replaced the Totolink wifi router that Airtel provided with a TP-Link C6 wifi router. Works great and I get the full 200 mbps over wifi on the 5Ghz band. The fiber connection terminates into a separate ONU device. This ONU was also provided by Airtel and it is a Nokia unit. The ONU has connections for the land line phone and for the WiFi router.
Traveler is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2020, 10:19   #1868
mxx
BHPian

Is Netgear R6350 a good router? I cant find many reviews for it online.
Old 6th July 2020, 13:59   #1869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had(still have) Mi 3C and is quite basic. While the coverage is ok, is not very stable. Would lose configuration on reboot at times, speed test would result in really low numbers and lost out even to older TP link single antenna router I had. Not sure if Mi has a dual band but 3C(and probably 4C as well) is single band is not supported by most of ISP. I would say avoid and get yourself a DLink/Tplink or Netgear.

I use Tp Link A6/C6 and has been much better. If you have subscribed for a plan above 100MBPs, go for dual band and Gigabit router. Mu-Mimo might be good to have if you connect multiple devices though I don't know if that really matters.
Old 7th July 2020, 12:37   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have the Orbi with Airtel FTTH fiber for more than a year now.
Hi Vid6639, Which Orbi model do you have ? and Does it have a VDSL port for Airtel fiber cable ? Would RBR20 work with Airtel fiber connect ?

thanks!
Old 7th July 2020, 12:44   #1871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
Hi Vid6639, Which Orbi model do you have ? and Does it have a VDSL port for Airtel fiber cable ? Would RBR20 work with Airtel fiber connect ?

thanks!
The Orbi is not a modem so it doesn't have VDSL port or GPON port for optical fiber.

The orbi works with the modem provided by airtel. You need to connect the airtel modem to orbi using the LAN cable and disable the wifi in airtel device.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 13:03   #1872
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Feedback on R7000P router after using more than 1 year.

Overall feedback: Do not buy.

It's 2.4GHz is generally good. But the reason why I had bought it was because of 5GHz and especially their advertised feature of MU-MIMO. Till now, I had only few 5 GHz devices at home and somehow it was performing ok. Last one month, I got Dell Laptop with 5GHz, and I started seeing frequent disconnection with 5GHz. I ignored the issue.

Last weekend, got a TP link T3U USB wifi adapter that supports 5GHz. And this is when I started seeing disconnection every one minute. Upon thinking first if it was problem with the wifi adapter itself, somehow replicated that it's happening with other devices as well (like my One plus 6). Upon searching on internet for multiple hours and doing things like router reset, firmware upgrade etc, finally found an article which explained that netgear has implemented the MU-MIMO feature differently than many other manufacturers. And they are not compatible.

And the solution is to disable this feature in router, the very feature that is the selling point of this router is broken and should be disabled in order for router to work with other MU-MIMO compatible devices. Was really disappointed with this but atleast see that connections are stable post disabling this. Had I known this from begining, I would have gone for something with TRIband so that even more devices could be supported or may be would have gone with another brand.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 14:39   #1873
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Feedback on R7000P router after using more than 1 year.

Overall feedback: Do not buy.

And the solution is to disable this feature in router, the very feature that is the selling point of this router is broken and should be disabled in order for router to work with other MU-MIMO compatible devices. Was really disappointed with this but atleast see that connections are stable post disabling this. Had I known this from begining, I would have gone for something with TRIband so that even more devices could be supported or may be would have gone with another brand.
Thank you for your feedback. Since you would have already done research in the matter, what other alternatives do you suggest in sub 10K price range for routers supporting Wifi 6 or atleast ac along with tri band or atleast dual band capability while delivering on the promise of MU-MIMO for 100 Mbps and above connection speeds.
Old 7th July 2020, 14:58   #1874
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roamer012 View Post
what other alternatives do you suggest in sub 10K price range for routers supporting Wifi 6 or atleast ac along with tri band or atleast dual band capability while delivering on the promise of MU-MIMO for 100 Mbps and above connection speeds.
Given my router is more than one year old, I may not suggest the alternative. But from the different conversations while trouble shooting the NetGear, I found people voting for ASUS as top alternative with TP-Link and LinkSys post that.

As far as Wifi 6 is concerned, I don't there are any routers available below 10k with AX. Note that I had bought mine around 9k last year and the prices are 11.6k at present. So looks like Covid has played some role here as well. I suggest you look for a model of based on your budget and then search in forums for issues like connection drops or something to get an idea if a certain model is faulty or not.

The problem with MU-MIMO is that each manufacturer seems to have implemented their own way and they aren't compatible. May be the later models are implemented better.
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2020, 16:30   #1875
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Upon searching on internet for multiple hours and doing things like router reset, firmware upgrade etc, finally found an article which explained that netgear has implemented the MU-MIMO feature differently than many other manufacturers. And they are not compatible.

And the solution is to disable this feature in router, the very feature that is the selling point of this router is broken and should be disabled in order for router to work with other MU-MIMO compatible devices. Was really disappointed with this but atleast see that connections are stable post disabling this.
If I am not mistaken this particular problem is specific to routers running on some Broadcom chipset - netgear or any other manufacturer. isnt it?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks