Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2020, 13:00   #1831
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
Have you gone through all the steps here? If yes, have you tried contacting Apple about this issue?
Cheers
The issue is not with the device since WiFi calling on the same device works at my office. I suspect if it is my main router settings or any limitation of the router and I am unable to troubleshoot the same. For reference, I use D Link DIR 816 as my main router.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
You already have it, just need to extend properly. Put an access point (assuming DHCP is disabled in each) in every floor with a wired connection to either the main router on first floor or the one immediately above or below as the case may be and you should be done, it's the most cost effective and reliable solution.

And access points can have exactly same SSID and password that way your client devices hops automatically between them, make sure the Channel is set to Auto.
Please ignore my naivety here but can I follow any Step-by-Step process for this kind of setup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
One more thing I forgot to ask at the beginning, if you have high bandwidth streaming requirements like multiple 4k streams, etc or current routers/ AP's not covering entire floor on which they are, you must upgrade your AP on the respective floor adequately to AC etc or get a high gain G router. Trust me the G routers travel farthest when it comes to penetrating walls or obstacles and work just fine for day to day internet usages, I had run an entire 3 storeyed house (2000 sq ft area on each floor) with a single G router successfully for years

Here's an even older experiment I did
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/d...ntennas.26039/
As per usage, while the data consumption is high especially during this WFH times, we are not all that much into 4K streams. In fact, I would say it is rare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When you setup a wired bridge, all floors will be same SSID and will work seamlessly.
Thank you and this seems like the most economical option. Is this the same as setting up APs with same SSIDs and passwords?

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
You'll also need to plan for an UPS (unless your entire house is backed up anyway) for not only your main hub but all the satellites too. This is regardless of whether it's a mesh or a wired bridge setup.

W.r.t. WiFi calling, I tried it for some time on my ACT network and noticed a lag time for calls to connect when dialling (OnePlus 7 Pro), so I deactivated the same. However, your cellular network is very weak so you have to try it. A minor inconvenience for me, but something you can definitely overlook .

Keep an eye out on Amazon IN for some great deals on Netgear/TP-Link / Linksys / D-Link. I would avoid the cheaper brands as this will be a worthy one-off investment.
My entire house is backed up so the UPS is not a concern at all. However, WRT the WiFi calling, I also use ACT network and somehow unable to use the function at home. I am unable to troubleshoot this issue.
Old 20th May 2020, 00:12   #1832
BHPian

As i work from home now, thanks to COVID, I connect my PC and office laptop at my desk. I had only one LAN cable from my router to the PC at the moment and was having to continuosly switch the cable between them as the WiFi reception over there is spotty on the laptop, though fine on phones.

I had initially thought to get a TPLink gigabit switch for this purpose, but then decided to get a WiFi router that would have gigabit ports.

After Amazon started allowing orders to be placed, I picked up a TPLink Archer C6 AC1200 router.

It will be connected as an access point to my Netgear R7000 AC1900.

I'll hardwire the PC and laptop to the C6, and it will also improve the WiFi coverage. Killing two birds with one stone.

Last edited by suku_patel_22 : 20th May 2020 at 00:18.
Old 20th May 2020, 00:37   #1833
BHPian

Quote:
When you setup a wired bridge, all floors will be same SSID and will work seamlessly.
Just checking even if the ssid is the same, if you are connected to the router on floor 1 and move to floor 2, I do not think the device will switch to the nearest router if it still holds a connection to the router on floor 1.
Old 20th May 2020, 10:56   #1834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Just checking even if the ssid is the same, if you are connected to the router on floor 1 and move to floor 2, I do not think the device will switch to the nearest router if it still holds a connection to the router on floor 1.
Yeah this is not as seamless as Mesh. MEsh takes care of handoff between router and satellites as well as frequency bands.

So if you go further away and the strength drops it immediately moves you from 5GHz to 2.4GHz. First priority is to move from router to satellite in 5GHz. 2nd priority is to move to 2.4GHz band if none of the mesh systems are in 5GHz range. Mesh is like mini mobile network at home.

Plus the advantage of mesh is that the RF power is lesser than 1 single high power router. The high power router will have more power to try and cover more range but mesh doesn't have to worry about 1 unit covering more area.
Old 20th May 2020, 11:38   #1835
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah this is not as seamless as Mesh. MEsh takes care of handoff between router and satellites as well as frequency bands.

Mesh is like mini mobile network at home.
As one of your prime requirements is WiFi calling, you frankly may not have any other choice than a mesh network of 1 hub & at least 2 satellites. Further, as 4K streaming etc is not a requirement, you CAN pick up a 3-pack of the slower mesh offerings from any of the top brands for ~13K.

Again, since your house is anyway backed up, it's a simple matter of plug and play without messy wiring etc.
Old 20th May 2020, 14:06   #1836
BHPian

Can the experts of this forum advise on 4G/LTE modem/routers ?

I use JioFi as primary source of internet but would like to have a fail over setup with Airtel.

I came across these two but reviews are not really helping much. Advise is well appreciated

https://amzn.to/36gQ8tw (HUAWEI E8372H-155 4G Wingle Data Card)

https://amzn.to/2LME4GM (Tenda 4G680V2.0 3G/4G 300Mbps Wireless N300 4G LTE and Volte Router)
Old 20th May 2020, 14:46   #1837
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thilak29 View Post
Can the experts of this forum advise on 4G/LTE modem/routers ?
I have so far not needed anything more than the hotspot mode of my mobile phone. Give it a try, and go for a dedicated device only if it doesn't suit your needs.
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2020, 15:19   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
I have so far not needed anything more than the hotspot mode of my mobile phone. Give it a try, and go for a dedicated device only if it doesn't suit your needs.

Thanks for your response. Yes mostly I do that, phone being my primary number for contact , grime is that voice calls stops data flow and resulting disconnection. I guess , Phone based hotspot is fine for short duration usage but not as day long uninterrupted source.
Hence thought of having a dedicated sim card for data only use and these devices I listed are significantly cheaper than buying a smartphone.
Old 22nd May 2020, 12:56   #1839
BHPian

I have a Netgear Orbi RBK40 Mesh Router and Satellite setup in my apartment. Very happy with this and it provides excellent coverage and speeds.

However I need a UPS with built in battery backup for about 20 mins for the Router (input 12v 2.5A) and the small fiber to lan converter box.

I have checked Resonate as mentioned earlier here but they don't have availability of the 12v 3A UPS.

Any other suggestions on which UPS to buy?

EDIT: Would this suffice?: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B016XVRKZM/ref=psdc_1375248031_t1_B01ELNPG2I

Last edited by s4ch : 22nd May 2020 at 13:03. Reason: Added link
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:30   #1840
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
I have been using APC for a long time for my projector, desktop and TV till I moved to full house inverters. You cannot go wrong with the APC and it will provide you way more that the 20 mins you desire for your router.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2020, 13:35   #1841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
I have been using APC for a long time for my projector, desktop and TV till I moved to full house inverters. You cannot go wrong with the APC and it will provide you way more that the 20 mins you desire for your router.
Thank you, appreciate the quick response! Ordered from Amazon, its backordered and should be in stock in a few days. So hopefully that means I get new stock rather than the old ones with dead batteries on arrival.

Thanks again.
Old 8th June 2020, 13:50   #1842
BHPian

What's a good router in a 5k budget? Just upgraded to a 50 MB/s local broadband plan as 4 people at WFH concurrently, but my current router which is 5 years old supports ~25 MB/s speed only (TP-LINK TL-WR841N). Planning to switch to a Airtel Fiber that claims speeds up to 200 Mbps (where I wouldn't want the router to be a roadblock for slower speeds when the ISP is providing it) once the society starts allowing technicians.

It's a 3 BHK 1300 sqft flat and the router is in the centre of the home. Can also stretch my budget slightly if needed.

Last edited by prateekm : 8th June 2020 at 13:59.
Old 8th June 2020, 14:42   #1843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
What's a good router in a 5k budget? Just upgraded to a 50 MB/s local broadband plan as 4 people at WFH concurrently, but my current router which is 5 years old supports ~25 MB/s speed only (TP-LINK TL-WR841N)...
Asus makes pretty solid and reliable routers, you may want to check these:
https://www.flipkart.com/asus-rt-ac5...01591607421910

https://www.amazon.in/ASUS-RT-AC53-A...mputers&sr=1-1

You can use merlin firmware for more security and features and the it is not Chinese brand

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 10:41. Reason: Trimmed quote.
2500cc is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 08:42   #1844
BHPian

Quote:
What's a good router in a 5k budget? Just upgraded to a 50 MB/s local broadband plan as 4 people at WFH concurrently, but my current router which is 5 years old supports ~25 MB/s speed only (TP-LINK TL-WR841N)...
Get two TPLink C6 and hard wire them. They will offer much better coverage than a single router.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 10:39. Reason: Trimmed quote.
suku_patel_22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2020, 10:15   #1845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What's a good router in a 5k budget? Just upgraded to a 50 MB/s local broadband plan as 4 people at WFH concurrently...

...Can also stretch my budget slightly if needed.
I'd recommend extending your budget to 8-9K and buying a 2 pack mesh router from one of the leading brands like Netgear, Linksys, TP-Link or D-Link. You mentioned that there are 4 x WFH and the bandwidth demands can only go up .

A mesh router makes it future-proof and the speeds are consistent. You will need a backup power source for both. Wired connection is excellent but can be messy to look at.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th June 2020 at 10:40. Reason: Trimmed quote.
itwasntme is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks