Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2020, 20:03   #1816
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So not to confuse you, the Router UPS I had to purchase was to not have this downtime of 1 minute also and it is working fine as expected and serving the purpose.... In a nutshell, the Router UPS will ensure seamless connectivity with zero downtime during a power disruption.
Thanks for the clarification. I think I misread your earlier post and just misunderstood it. Thanks. The size and power backup duration is perfectly what I need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Can I have the contact number please ?
From their website -
Email care@resonate.store
WhatsApp +91 829 647 0911
Phone +91 829 647 7911

I sent a WhatsApp message at the number provided above and got a response in probably an hour, with details of a retailer close to my area.
sachinayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 10:16   #1817
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by babhishek View Post
If you have the space, please get a normal ups for the second router. Easier to replace batteries after 18 months.. if there is a space crunch - resonate ups makes sense.
I agree. I picked up a 'normal' APC 600 UPS for 3.3K which can also be used to connect sundry stuff like cellphone chargers etc. Why spend nearly 2K for such a small battery only and that too single purpose?

I tested it with my Big 3 combined (Tenda Gigabit + Deco M5 hub + ACT box), and it lasted 1 hour+.

This is the one I picked up from a store: https://www.apc.com/shop/in/en/produ...ia/P-BX600C-IN

Last edited by itwasntme : 12th May 2020 at 10:17.
Old 12th May 2020, 10:29   #1818
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I agree. I picked up a 'normal' APC 600 UPS for 3.3K which can also be used to connect sundry stuff like cellphone chargers etc. Why spend nearly 2K for such a small battery only and that too single purpose?
Just a small note on the Resonate. It's a very smart idea. The battery is small but that's the clever bit.

In the APC inverter, it converts DC to AC when the power is cut. This is where the maximum loss happens and that's why it's big and heavy cause it needs to convert a 12V DC from the battery to 220V AC sine wave.

However the Resonate is a DC-DC battery like a phone power bank. It is inline which means it gives direct DC to the modem/router. The drawback is you need to buy the exact DC voltage version as your modem/router.

The device is compact since it is just direct DC to DC with rechargeable batteries with some current monitors and regulators.

I have a mesh Wi-Fi at home with one 1 main router and 1 satellite. However both these are in different rooms.

I have 2 APC 600VA UPS. 1 for the Router/modem and 1 for my Mac mini desktop. However when the power gets cut, my mesh satellite unit turns off and the mesh system switches to the router in the furthest room dropping speeds from 300Mbps to 20Mbps.

Instead of buying a bulky APC UPS again I am looking at picking up the resonate for the satellite in living room next to the TV unit.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2020, 10:35   #1819
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Well, it depends on many things and more importantly how and where your router is placed. For me this was the primary reason.

I didn't want to disturb the placement nor did I want to place the bigger UPS for this reason since my router is just near the ceiling. Also, my only need was a back up that won't last more than a minute and only for the Router and nothing else.

The actual price is less than 2K but shop owners selling over the counter are banking on the current situation and demands and increasing the price.

By the way, the router UPS supports a lot of other devices, not simultaneously though including Set Top Boxes, CCTV Cameras, Monitors and any 12V devices with less than 2 Amps.

If the need is for backing up just the router while the place you have still has Generator back up that takes a minute to supply back up power, I think this one is sensible too! Heck, for my current needs, I am OK for a max back up of 10 minutes also just when you switch off the mains to carry out some electrical work and this one helps.

After I moved to an apartment, I sold my home invertor since there was no need for it anyway. In future we may also see better devices too for the same requirements.

Last edited by paragsachania : 12th May 2020 at 10:39.
Old 12th May 2020, 15:33   #1820
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I have a mesh Wi-Fi at home with one 1 main router and 1 satellite. However both these are in different rooms....Instead of buying a bulky APC UPS again I am looking at picking up the resonate for the satellite in living room next to the TV unit.
This was exactly my requirement. My main router is on an APC UPS in the living room. However my satellite router is in the bedroom and I need to place it for optimal network coverage. I could have clubbed it with my laptop in my children's room, but that would have resulted in sub-par Wi-Fi coverage/speeds. The small footprint of this router UPS makes is just perfect for my requirement. More than the size, the closed cabinet where the UPS needs to be placed, dictated the choice of UPS. A normal UPS would have generated a lot of heat, which I wanted to avoid.

Picked it up from my neighborhood store (as recommended by Resonate) for 2.2K, a tad higher than what it would retail for online. Given the situation, the peace of mind it results in is completely worth it.

And while I was typing this message, the electricity supply went off and I continue to enjoy my uninterrupted WiFi. Absolute bliss.

Last edited by sachinayak : 12th May 2020 at 15:36.
sachinayak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 11:10   #1821

Quote:
The Orbi from Netgear is renowned to be the best. It's almost always cheaper on Flipkart than Amazon.

The second option is the TP-Link Deco M4 which is also good. It's priced much lower so easier to go for.

There is a cheaper version of TP_LINK, the E4. Be warned this has a limited Ethernet adapter of 100Mbps so if your broadband is 100 or more you will get only around 90-95 Mbps.
Thanks Vid6639 for that info. I too have Airtel's Nokia G140W-C which they installed. It has a wire going inside for connection from the fiber splitter and is a different port than the regular RJ45. I am not sure, it might be called a VDSL port? I am looking for a Mesh Wifi system. I was wondering if you can recommend one. Does the Orbi have a method to connect this jack? Sorry, I am not a tech guy.
Edit: I believe that is a Fiber cable interface point and not VDSL. That point is in the underside of the unit, inside a cover. And this Nokia device is more of a GPON device, with poor range.

Last edited by ananth_blr : 18th May 2020 at 11:22.
Old 18th May 2020, 11:33   #1822
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananth_blr View Post
Thanks Vid6639 for that info. I too have Airtel's Nokia G140W-C which they installed. It has a wire going inside for connection from the fiber splitter and is a different port than the regular RJ45. I am not sure, it might be called a VDSL port? I am looking for a Mesh Wifi system. I was wondering if you can recommend one. Does the Orbi have a method to connect this jack? Sorry, I am not a tech guy.
The nokia should have direct Fiber line connection to it. It won't be RJ45 but will be a termination cable. The fiber from your apartment junction box will lead to a small box inside your flat. From there it will be a another fiber wire that is crimped and few feet length to the Nokia.

Your nokia should have 1 or 4 LAN ports at the back that are free. You can connect any Wi-fi router to 1 LAN port.

My suggestion would be the TP-Link Deco M4 dual or triple depending on house size. Anything more than 2000sqft you will need 3.

Or the Orbi RBK20 dual unit. 2000sqft will be just enough for the dual.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2020, 14:22   #1823
BHPian

Thanks for the information related to Mesh routers in this thread. Have a home which is spread across 3 floors (2 living spaces and 1 room which is not used right next to the terrace).

My current broadband is from Hathway (Touchwood, its running without issues) with a ZTE router + modem (Model F602W) and you can imagine there a lot of blindpspots.

Assuming I will continue with the ZTE router, can i buy any of these mesh routers to link up and expand for better coverage ?

I was looking at TPlink, Tenda, Iball etc.
Old 18th May 2020, 19:57   #1824
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Thanks for the information related to Mesh routers in this thread. Have a home which is spread across 3 floors (2 living spaces and 1 room which is not used right next to the terrace).

My current broadband is from Hathway (Touchwood, its running without issues) with a ZTE router + modem (Model F602W) and you can imagine there a lot of blindpspots.

Assuming I will continue with the ZTE router, can i buy any of these mesh routers to link up and expand for better coverage ?

You can add a mesh to any modem as long as it has a RJ45 Ethernet/LAN port.

Just disable the wifi router feature in the ZTE and use the mesh router. The ZTE will then work as the modem.

For 3 floors do look at nothing less than 3 units i.e. one router next to ZTE modem and 2 wireless satellites.

I would look at Netgear Orbi or Tp-Link. These 2 are what I have personally used and know work well.

A mesh system can easily work for 5+ years if you get a good one now. I'm using the Orbi for close to 2 years now and i am totally dependent on it.

Having 5GHz in all rooms and no spot less than 270Mbps in a 1600 sqft is like a dream especially during this lockdown.
Old 18th May 2020, 20:22   #1825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
Assuming I will continue with the ZTE router, can i buy any of these mesh routers to link up and expand for better coverage?

Quote:
You can add a mesh to any modem as long as it has a RJ45 Ethernet/LAN port.
+1 to what Vid6639 is saying.

I would just like to add that it's better to go for a good quality mesh router system like Netgear. I would avoid brands like Tenda, iBall etc.

Cheers
Old 19th May 2020, 02:02   #1826
BHPian

I have two queries on my WiFi situation at home and I apologise if this comes off as a trivial question or has already been answered since I tried looking around. I am not very tech friendly and hence looking for some detailed help here.

Scenario: My house is 4 storeyed and spans roughly 2400 sft. each floor. Ground floor is the garage, and has two bed rooms for the guests and would require internet which I currently do not have. 1st floor and 2nd floor is where my family lives and the 3rd floor is recreational area. I do not get Airtel/Vodafone/Idea/BSNL network while inside the house. I have not tried Jio or any other network. I currently use internet from ACT and use D-Link 816 router on the 1st floor. For the second floor I use TP link router as an access point.

Queries:
1. Airtel has enabled WiFi Calling in Bangalore. I have WiFi calling enabled on the phone and it works in my office. Additionally, my neighbour also confirmed that the feature is working for him and he uses internet from the same ISP. For reasons beyond my knowledge, I am unable to use this on my iPhone 11 Pro while ay home. I checked it on other cellular devices available at home as well. It would really help if someone guides me to troubleshoot this since I do not get cellular network while at home.

2. Given the size of the house, my current set up is a pain to keep switching between the two SSIDs as I move between the floors. Also the ground floor and the 3rd floor do not get any WiFi coverage which restricts me to work from specific places while I could be enjoying the cool breeze on the terrace! Could I get a solution where the entire house is covered sufficiently without me having to switch between different SSIDs?

TIA

Last edited by saishivaj : 19th May 2020 at 02:03.
Old 19th May 2020, 03:54   #1827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saishivaj View Post
1. Airtel has enabled WiFi Calling in Bangalore. I have WiFi calling enabled on the phone and it works in my office. Additionally, my neighbour also confirmed that the feature is working for him and he uses internet from the same ISP. For reasons beyond my knowledge, I am unable to use this on my iPhone 11 Pro while ay home. I checked it on other cellular devices available at home as well. It would really help if someone guides me to troubleshoot this since I do not get cellular network while at home.
Have you gone through all the steps here? If yes, have you tried contacting Apple about this issue?

Quote:
2. Given the size of the house, my current set up is a pain to keep switching between the two SSIDs as I move between the floors. Also the ground floor and the 3rd floor do not get any WiFi coverage which restricts me to work from specific places while I could be enjoying the cool breeze on the terrace! Could I get a solution where the entire house is covered sufficiently without me having to switch between different SSIDs?
Given the size of your house, the fact that it's multi-storeyed, and the size of each floor, a Mesh WiFi router setup would be perfect for you. No SSID changes, much better coverage and bandwidth throughput as well. It isn't exactly cheap, but depending on how much you value your WiFi connectivity, this could be well worth it for you.

Based on the fact that each floor is 2400 sft., I would recommend the Netgear Orbi RBK50, and if you want to have the best coverage on each floor, then you should add two Netgear Orbi RBS50, so that you can have a device on every floor, with each device giving a coverage of around 2500 sft.

Hope this information helps.

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 04:16   #1828
BHPian

Quote:
2. Given the size of the house, my current set up is a pain to keep switching between the two SSIDs as I move between the floors.

Also the ground floor and the 3rd floor do not get any WiFi coverage which restricts me to work from specific places while I could be enjoying the cool breeze on the terrace!

Could I get a solution where the entire house is covered sufficiently without me having to switch between different SSIDs?

TIA
You already have it, just need to extend properly. Put an access point (assuming DHCP is disabled in each) in every floor with a wired connection to either the main router on first floor or the one immediately above or below as the case may be and you should be done, it's the most cost effective and reliable solution.

And access points can have exactly same SSID and password that way your client devices hops automatically between them, make sure the Channel is set to Auto.

One more thing I forgot to ask at the beginning, if you have high bandwidth streaming requirements like multiple 4k streams, etc or current routers/ AP's not covering entire floor on which they are, you must upgrade your AP on the respective floor adequately to AC etc or get a high gain G router. Trust me the G routers travel farthest when it comes to penetrating walls or obstacles and work just fine for day to day internet usages, I had run an entire 3 storeyed house (2000 sq ft area on each floor) with a single G router successfully for years

Here's an even older experiment I did
https://www.hifivision.com/threads/d...ntennas.26039/

Last edited by haisaikat : 19th May 2020 at 04:24.
haisaikat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 09:14   #1829
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

TIA
Joxster has given you the wireless option which will work well. Mesh wifi will be needed in every floor. However this will not come cheap. You are looking at 25K for a 4 router system.

You might be able to get away with a 3 router mesh system placing it optimally which will be around 18K.

If you want a cheaper solution, you can get 3 cheaper dual band routers which support bridge mode and connect all 3 using a RJ45 ethernet LAN cable from floor to floor. This is provided you have the space/duct to lay a cable from the top to bottom of your house. If you can't have the cable then wifi mesh is your only option.

When you setup a wired bridge, all floors will be same SSID and will work seamlessly.
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2020, 09:41   #1830
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
When you setup a wired bridge, all floors will be same SSID and will work seamlessly.
You'll also need to plan for an UPS (unless your entire house is backed up anyway) for not only your main hub but all the satellites too. This is regardless of whether it's a mesh or a wired bridge setup.

W.r.t. WiFi calling, I tried it for some time on my ACT network and noticed a lag time for calls to connect when dialling (OnePlus 7 Pro), so I deactivated the same. However, your cellular network is very weak so you have to try it. A minor inconvenience for me, but something you can definitely overlook .

Keep an eye out on Amazon IN for some great deals on Netgear/TP-Link / Linksys / D-Link. I would avoid the cheaper brands as this will be a worthy one-off investment.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed