Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2019, 09:04   #1756
Team-BHP Support

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post

The other option is buying this Netgear Orbi Mesh system which will set us back by almost 23k.

Your advice?
You need to look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.in/Ubiquiti-UniFi...keywords=unifi

This is the defacto unit for small enterprises. We have moved to this completely from traditional routers.

For office use, you need this only. Don't look at home products like Orbi.
Old 6th February 2019, 10:16   #1757
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
You need to look at something like this:

https://www.amazon.in/Ubiquiti-UniFi...keywords=unifi

This is the defacto unit for small enterprises. We have moved to this completely from traditional routers.

For office use, you need this only. Don't look at home products like Orbi.
Thanks Parag, Thad, Binand, DIY Guy and Viddy for responding so quickly with your feedback.

@Viddy and others, Orbi has something for business enterprises called: https://www.amazon.in/Netgear-AC3000...tgear+Orbi+Pro

Between the two, what would you recommend? Both seem to be retailing at close to similar prices. I will also do a bit of reading up.

We have more wired clients as opposed to wireless clients (we have LAN ports in every room).

I would also be needing to set up web-cam security in specific places across the office. Can the above systems also run web-cam integration?

We are completely on the cloud, no server here - nothing.

Lastly, if we move to a Jio line in the future, will the above systems be compatible with those?

Last edited by Red Liner : 6th February 2019 at 10:21.
Old 6th February 2019, 13:29   #1758
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdst_1 View Post
I bought it from 3250 IIRC. I don't have insane bandwidth demands that some modern households might have. I only need the router to share my 4Mbps internet connection. Hence I made this choice as this router has a great range. All the high end models focus more on bandwidth. So if your needs are similar then a single router like mine can suffice.
Thanks! My line is 100 Mbps. The price is reasonable, for the coverage it offers.
Old 6th February 2019, 14:17   #1759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinharishi View Post
Thanks! My line is 100 Mbps. The price is reasonable, for the coverage it offers.
It will support the line speed, but by bandwidth I was alluding more towards local streaming devices that one might have these days. Main bandwidth hoggers would be wireless IP cameras and NAS devices. If you use such devices heavily then this particular router will not be able to provide the bandwidth you need. A 100 Mbps internet connection, it should handle with ease.
Old 15th March 2019, 12:28   #1760
Distinguished - BHPian

Any updated recommendations on mesh routers for a ~3000 sq.feet G+1 villa with surrounding small garden?

Do I need a 2 pack mesh or 3 pack?

Amazon has a bunch of good brands selling (3 pack) from 11k all the way to 35k. Tenda & D-link looks cheapest at ~11k but unsure how good they are. The usual suspects are Linksys, Netgear, D-Link, TP-link and of course Google.

Currently have a WiFi n Mi 3C main router backed up by 2 repeaters. Issue is that speeds are 98 Mbps (out of maximum 100) on the same floor but falls away to 20 when on another level. Is it worth changing to a more powerful (standalone) WiFi ac unit like a TP-link Archer C60? Will the repeater speeds then improve?

Last edited by itwasntme : 15th March 2019 at 12:38.
Old 15th March 2019, 14:52   #1761
BHPian

Your choice will greatly depend on feasibility of wired backhaul in your setup. If you cannot run wired backhaul, like me, I would highly recommend Netgear Orbi RBR50 setup. It has dedicated 5ghz band for backhaul.
Old 7th April 2019, 12:03   #1762
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrahul View Post
Your choice will greatly depend on feasibility of wired backhaul in your setup. If you cannot run wired backhaul, like me, I would highly recommend Netgear Orbi RBR50 setup. It has dedicated 5ghz band for backhaul.
Picked up a TP-Link Deco M5 yesterday. Hope it's good!

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B072BZ62QS/...533?th=1&psc=1
Old 16th August 2019, 21:49   #1763
Distinguished - BHPian

Any first hand recommendations for a Wi-Fi repeater?
Reviews in Amazon are not trustworthy.
Old 16th August 2019, 22:15   #1764
BHPian

I have a 125 Mbps ACT fibrenet connection at home. I was using a TP-Link N300 Mbps modem/router in my earlier home. I never ever saw speeds above 35 Mbps anywhere in my flat even on the best days.

I recently moved into a bigger flat and shifted my ACT connection to the new flat which is a little over 3000 sqft on a single floor and the router could never cover even half the area. My usage is purely for the mobile and streaming content on the TV. I did not want to spend too much on a mesh set up and I didn't believe in range extenders.

I am not a tech savvy guy as far as these things are concerned. After a brief research, I picked up a TP Link Archer C6 Gigabit router from Amazon for RS.2400. It has both 2.4 G and 5 G bands. It has made a huge difference and I get more than 125 Mbps consistently throughout the day. 2.4 G is available throughout the house even if the doors to the room are shut. 5 G is available throughout if the room doors are kept open. Set up is very easy and the Tether app is very useful and convenient. Extremely happy with the router. But my usage is very limited and it serves the purpose perfectly.
Old 29th November 2019, 10:04   #1765
BHPian

Guys, I have a airtel wifi hotspot which is at its end of days due to depleting battery. Replacement battery is not guaranteed to work. So,
Is there a wifi router which can take this airtel sim and act as host or wifi hotspot. Also giving better coverage inside the house. Let me know if anyone has any solution
Old 29th November 2019, 13:48   #1766
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _chikku View Post
Is there a wifi router which can take this airtel sim and act as host or wifi hotspot.
TP-Link has a range of products that take a SIM card and provides a Wifi AP. For example:

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B014VB4N4M

Depending on the model/provider etc. you might have to do some work to get the right configuration incantation going. In 3G days I used to have one of these which worked very well out of the box with Airtel (the above model seems like 4G LTE compatible).

With high prices, better phone hotspot performance, laptops coming with SIM slots etc. these sort of devices are probably going down in popularity. You might be better off looking at alternative solutions.
Old 29th November 2019, 13:57   #1767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Any first hand recommendations for a Wi-Fi repeater?
Reviews in Amazon are not trustworthy.

What is your use case? Asking this because I would generally not recommend repeater unless there is no other option. First reason is that repeater will halve the bandwidth of the main router it is connected to.

Recently, I was also looking at repeaters as option as the main router's Wifi signals didn't reach properly in our bedroom and the TV there is operated purely on wifi (amazon firestick). I had a Hootoo nano router already so just tried to use it in repeater mode to test if a dedicated repeater (or this hootoo) will do and it is was terrible setup. Eventually, I bought a router and connected the main router and this secondary router with a Ethernet cable. This way I now get full bandwidth in bedroom TV as well.
Old 29th November 2019, 17:08   #1768
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
What is your use case? ----snip----as well.
Thanks. It turns out it wasn't required. I just changed the location of the router to a more central one, and all was managed.
Old 29th November 2019, 17:15   #1769
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
First reason is that repeater will halve the bandwidth of the main router it is connected to.
What exactly do you mean by this?
Old 29th November 2019, 22:33   #1770
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
What exactly do you mean by this?

Say your ISP speed is 50 Mbps and if your phone is connected to your primary router and you run a speed test you will get 50 Mbps (ideal Conditon) but if you put a repeater and then connect your phone to repeater then you will get 25 Mbps or less speed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks