Old 26th April 2018, 22:25   #1636
Senior - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Tried Jio too?
Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I thought Jio does not work on 2G at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Jio's network is 4G only. There is no fallback to 3G/2G.
Sorry, what I meant was - if the problem is of providing connectivity in the car, then Jio works just fine. I used to do what the OP does - use a USB-powered TP-Link device with the Airtel 3G dongle inserted in it. But ever since I took a Jio connection I have switched to having the phone on tethering mode and it has worked fine so far. Don't know about BSNL's, but Jio's coverage down south is quite fine.

Of course if there is a requirement of sticking to 3G with fallback to 2G, then Jio will not work.
Old 18th June 2018, 13:30   #1637
BHPian

Guys, does anyone know how to connect the Jio wifi dongle to ethernet port of the home router? I have Asus router that allows dual WAN. When my primary connection is down, I want to use a dongle for internet. The only thing is I don't want reconfigure all devices to use the dongle wifi rather I'd prefer it to be connected to home router. Any ideas?
Old 18th June 2018, 13:43   #1638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
The only thing is I don't want reconfigure all devices to use the dongle wifi rather I'd prefer it to be connected to home router. Any ideas?
If internet access is the only goal when internet is down, why not simply rename the JioFi to the same name (SSID) and password as your home router? When the net is down, just turn off your main router (or will the devices auto connect to the one with internet?).

For a brief period I had a second router connected to my main one with same ssid and password. Devices further out connected to this one automatically depending on the signal strength (note this didn't hand out IP addresses).

However, if you want to use the local network, a better method needs to be found.
Old 19th June 2018, 22:43   #1639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, does anyone know how to connect the Jio wifi dongle to ethernet port of the home router? I have Asus router that allows dual WAN. When my primary connection is down, I want to use a dongle for internet.

Previous post has a reasonable suggestion.

Other options is to buy a 4G router with Ethernet post and connect to second WAN port of Asus router.

This one costs 1350 Rs. You can disable WiFi and just use the Ethernet.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B00634PLTW/
Old 26th June 2018, 06:54   #1640
BHPian

I have a query about configuring PPPOE protocol using an ADSL+router device - Dlink W8960N. As per this link, this device supports PPPOE.

ACT guys did the cabling yesterday. If I connect ACT"s RJ45 directly to my laptop, internet works fine. When I connect via Wifi through the router, the browser takes me to ACT's login page every time; like at Hotel's. Post login, it works.

How do I do away with the login page ?
Old 26th June 2018, 07:50   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
I have a query about configuring PPPOE protocol using an ADSL+router device - Dlink W8960N

How do I do away with the login page ?
The router WAN config must have a place to enter the user ID and password. In my TP-Link device (connected to ACT), this is how that looks:

Name:  Untitled1.png
Views: 617
Size:  36.6 KB
Old 26th June 2018, 07:51   #1642
BHPian

Quote:
The router WAN config must have a place to enter the user ID and password.
Thanks. As per ACT, something called auto login was not enabled at their side, which is why it was asking for credentials every time. It is now fixed.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:05   #1643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, does anyone know how to connect the Jio wifi dongle to ethernet port of the home router? I have Asus router that allows dual WAN. When my primary connection is down, I want to use a dongle for internet. The only thing is I don't want reconfigure all devices to use the dongle wifi rather I'd prefer it to be connected to home router. Any ideas?
Were you able to find any solution for this ? I also have a Jio Fi, which I use as a backup to my broadband connection.

You can store multiple network SSIDs in your devices. (It is not required to reconfigure the devices every time. When the primary network is down, the device will automatically search for the other available network)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwasp View Post
If internet access is the only goal when internet is down, why not simply rename the JioFi to the same name (SSID) and password as your home router? When the net is down, just turn off your main router (or will the devices auto connect to the one with internet?).
As far as I know, Jio Fi does not allow you to change SSID. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 26th June 2018 at 10:08.
Old 26th June 2018, 10:21   #1644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
As far as I know, Jio Fi does not allow you to change SSID. Please correct me if I am wrong.
You can absolutely change the ssid. I have done that. You can find the instructions here - http://www.reliancedigital.in/soluti...iofi-password/
Old 15th July 2018, 17:43   #1645
BHPian

Dear members

Need help with our home broadband setup. We have been using Exictel broadband service for sometime with TP link 2.4 GHz frequency, 300Mbps speed router. All our mobile devices, laptops are connected without any issue. The range seems to be okay too. The only issue we are facing is with our Samsung smart TV. It just refuses to work with the router. The tv does get connected but only for a few minutes post which the router disconnects itself with every connected device, including the tv. The router only works again after reboot. The distance between the two isn't much. The router has been updated with the latest firmware through TP Link customer support but to no avail. Any idea what's causing this? Any other router with better range/connectivity might help?

Thanks.
Old 15th July 2018, 20:17   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mehta View Post
The tv does get connected but only for a few minutes post which the router disconnects itself with every connected device, including the tv. Any idea what's causing this?
I have seen this sort of thing happening when the device is trying to stream HD/UHD content and the router simply can't cope. In my case the device was a Chromecast.

You might want to try streaming non-HD content first. 720p or something.
Old 15th July 2018, 20:20   #1647
BHPian

Quote:
Dear members

Need help with our home broadband setup. We have been using Exictel broadband service for sometime with TP link 2.4 GHz frequency, 300Mbps speed router. All our mobile devices, laptops are connected without any issue. The range seems to be okay too. The only issue we are facing is with our Samsung smart TV. It just refuses to work with the router. The tv does get connected but only for a few minutes post which the router disconnects itself with every connected device, including the tv. The router only works again after reboot. The distance between the two isn't much. The router has been updated with the latest firmware through TP Link customer support but to no avail. Any idea what's causing this? Any other router with better range/connectivity might help?

Thanks.
Does your router have a way to limit bandwidth? If so might be worth trying to keep it from maxing out (which is obviously causing some issue in the router)
Old 15th July 2018, 21:49   #1648
BHPian

Quote:
I have seen this sort of thing happening when the device is trying to stream HD/UHD content and the router simply can't cope. In my case the device was a Chromecast.

You might want to try streaming non-HD content first. 720p or something.
Hmm.. That's a good point you made. Never thought about it. Will check it.

And if that's the case and since we like to stream high quality online content, does a better router with more bandwidth tolerance help? Or reducing physical distance between the two helps?

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
Does your router have a way to limit bandwidth? If so might be worth trying to keep it from maxing out (which is obviously causing some issue in the router)
Not sure if it does that. How do I check/fix that? Thanks for your input.

Last edited by Col Mehta : 15th July 2018 at 21:52.
Old 15th July 2018, 22:48   #1649
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
And if that's the case and since we like to stream high quality online content, does a better router with more bandwidth tolerance help? Or reducing physical distance between the two helps?
I'd recommend getting a modern AC router which has the muscle to stream HD video. There have been a few suggestions on this thread in posts going back a year or so. I'd recommend products from Asus, Linksys and TP Link in order of preference.

Traffic management/shaping is switched off by default but I doubt a 300 Mbps router (considered pretty basic by today's standards) will have this feature. Moving the router closer to the TV which can enhance the wireless signal may help.
Old 15th July 2018, 22:55   #1650
BHPian

Quote:

Not sure if it does that. How do I check/fix that? Thanks for your input.
Once you login to your router, you should be able to browse around the menus.

Which exact model is it? If nothing works, you could even flash an opensource router firmware such as openwrt which might just fix the issue. However, you need to verify that the model number including the hardware version is supported by the open source fw else you will be looking at a brick. So this should be done as a last resort.

I myself have a Netgear running tomato fw and that works wonderfully well. I know some tplinks are well supported by ddwrt, openwrt and tomato, but it all depends on the exact model. Please tell us the exact model what you have.

Most Viewed