Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2017, 17:58   #1561
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Have tried that one and returned it back. It is limited to 100mbps and routing performance is not even that much. I have a 125mbps main connection and a 40mbps alternate now.

I was looking at the same ubiquiti AP plus their security gateway and a few other things.
Assuming you have the budget take a look at the Netgate 2440.

I've been using the Netgate 2440 security appliance with pfSense (an open source router firewall software) since early 2016 and it works beautifully. The pizza box (as I call it) functions as a VPN router/firewall plus an IDS/IPS system. It also has hardware support for encryption that comes in handy with my VPN.

It's comparatively expensive but will handle literally anything you throw at it up to Gb speeds and multiple WANs. For home/SOHO use it is a one-time & literally future proof investment.

https://store.netgate.com/ADI/RCC-VE-2440.aspx

This model (RCC-VE-2440) comes without pfSense installed. You'll need install and configure it yourself. Once upon a time this model cost about $150 less than the same model with factory installed version of the software here:

https://store.netgate.com/SG-2440.aspx

But now they're the same price..done possibly to encourage customers to buy the SG-2440 that comes with preloaded custom built and optimised version of pfSense. Purchases from Netgear fund open source pfSense research and development.

Other than the price (you will need to pay shipping and Customs Duty) the caveats are:

a) Familiarity with *NIX commands and networking fundamentals.
b) It will run off the built-in 32 GB MMC. But these have limited R/W cycles. So an inexpensive 64 or 128 GB SSD is recommended.

Last edited by R2D2 : 10th July 2017 at 18:05. Reason: Typos
Old 10th July 2017, 20:08   #1562
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Assuming you have the budget take a look at the Netgate 2440.
This looks more like it . Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 11th July 2017, 07:22   #1563
Distinguished - BHPian

Massive offer on Google Home and CC bundle. Worth buying or are there far better routers available?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...one-25-10-off/
Old 20th October 2017, 12:18   #1564
Senior - BHPian

Does anyone facing problem with home wifi connection dropping off in their iphone mobile phones or tabs/ipads? In my s8+ and iphone/ipad, if i dont use the device for like 15-20 minutes with wifi on idle, i need to switch off the phone wifi and then again switch it on to finally get a connection. I have a single antenna wifi mtnl router. Is there a problem with wifi router or wifi settings?
Old 26th October 2017, 16:11   #1565
Distinguished - BHPian

Please patch your Wi-Fi routers and clients against the KRACK vulnerability. Most router & client manufacturers will be out with patches sooner rather than later.

Details here:New KRACK Attack Breaks WPA2 WiFi Protocol

Until then, follow the guidelines here:

Stay Safe
Old 26th October 2017, 20:38   #1566
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Massive offer on Google Home and CC bundle. Worth buying or are there far better routers available?

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/07...one-25-10-off/
This ver of Google Home is not a router.
But a good deal nevertheless.
Old 1st November 2017, 17:27   #1567
Senior - BHPian

Cross posting from another thread.

Service provider in question is Airtel, and theirs is a DSL line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
Can you please tell me what Modem cum router they have installed at your place?

The jokers changed my plan to V-fibre without confirmation from me, and now my existing modem-router Dlink 2750 is not supporting it. So I am right now sitting with connection for the last almost 1 week.
Somehow they say they are unable to change it back to previous ADSL plan.

The modem/router they were offering was Binatone and had short and thick wire which did not fit the designated modem area, and hence I had refused to shift to V-fibre, almost a month back. Somehow they miraculously managed to shift me to V-fibre after a month, that too without my confirmation.

Now I am unable to find a affordable VDSL modem. Can find very few and that too are costing around 3.5k +
Old 1st November 2017, 17:48   #1568

Quote:
Cross posting from another thread.

Service provider in question is Airtel, and theirs is a DSL line.
One call to their customer care for complete disconnection of all Airtel services should bring them in line. Unfortunately, that is how Indian customer care works.
Old 1st November 2017, 18:04   #1569
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5hadow View Post
One call to their customer care for complete disconnection of all Airtel services should bring them in line. Unfortunately, that is how Indian customer care works.
Sent them a mail to that effect. Received a call after that, but things did not move much. Have now escalated to their nodal officer or whatever they call. But I have low hopes. Though I like their service, and have rarely experienced downtime stretching through a day in the last 4 years, seems they are completely helpless & clueless this time.
Old 2nd November 2017, 15:06   #1570
BHPian

Quote:
Sent them a mail to that effect. Received a call after that, but things did not move much. Have now escalated to their nodal officer or whatever they call. But I have low hopes. Though I like their service, and have rarely experienced downtime stretching through a day in the last 4 years, seems they are completely helpless & clueless this time.
In my case Airtel themselves provided a huawei modem when they switched to V-Fiber . They initially said it will be charged in the 1st bill, but then I called them and asked them to waiver the modem cost since I am a long term customer. They complied.
Old 19th November 2017, 10:55   #1571
BHPian

Guys, How good are the Netgear Nighthawk series routers?

I am planning to get Netgear Nighthawk AC1700 from the US of A. It is selling for 99 USD and want to know if it is worth it..

P.S. - I have an ACT broadband connection at home..
Old 19th November 2017, 12:44   #1572
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's_valet View Post
Guys, How good are the Netgear Nighthawk series routers? I am planning to get Netgear Nighthawk AC1700 from the US of A. It is selling for 99 USD and want to know if it is worth it
They are good but it's better you buy a router locally. May be more expensive here but you get warranty support if required.
Old 19th November 2017, 16:33   #1573
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have "AC3200 Nighthawk X6". This is a pretty good router, specially since Netgear supports development of DD-WRT firmware for this router.
Old 22nd November 2017, 16:34   #1574
BHPian

Quote:

I am planning to get Netgear Nighthawk AC1700 from the US of A. It is selling for 99 USD and want to know if it is worth it..

P.S. - I have an ACT broadband connection at home..
Would recommend TP Link over Netgear (based on my experience) for better coverage and stability. I have been using TP Link AC2600 and I am happy with coverage and stability.
Old 25th November 2017, 13:43   #1575
Senior - BHPian

Guys I am facing a very strange problem with my internet connection. I got a new D-Link DSL-2750U*wifi adsl router for mtnl broadband last month. Everything was working fine since then. But from last 2-3 days, three laptops at my place connect to wifi but there is no internet i.e. could not open a website. Tried using mobile hotspot and the internet starts easily. I also bought a tp-link usb wireless adapter thinking that will solve my problem if it is happening due to compatibility but same thing is happening there.

No internet from dlink wifi but can access net from mobile hotspot wifi. Interesting thing is that all other devices at home including android phones, a hp laptop, iphones, tabs, internt tv all are connected to dlink wifi. No issues there. I am trying to figure out a solution since last 2 days but nothing is working out. Tried reseting updating drivers, reinstalled windows but the issue still persists. Any pointers please?

Most Viewed