Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2017, 18:25   #1591
BHPian

Re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Assuming this is a DSL line please check if you have a splitter connected. Your incoming line should be first connected to a splitter which has 2 outputs, one goes to the modem and other to the landline phone. Without the splitter the modem will drop the link when you use the phone.
As you said I checked the splitter is already present. One wire is routed to phone and other one to Modem. Also it does not happen always only sometimes but we all in house have noticed the disconnect will be there while someone use phone.
Old 4th December 2017, 19:54   #1592
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
As you said I checked the splitter is already present.
Please recheck if the RJ11 cords have been plugged in correctly i.e. modem and phone to the outputs and incoming line to the inputs. If possible use another splitter (costs ~Rs 200) and see if it makes a difference.

If the line still drops you need to raise a complaint with Airtel who will run their diagnostics on the line.
Old 5th December 2017, 09:46   #1593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I am facing problem in my Airtel broadband connection where it disconnects frequently. I have connected a UPS to it to avoid restarts while power cuts but that is not solving the purpose. I closely noticed the issue and found that it mostly happens when we use the landline phone associated with it. Does this happen for all connections? Can't we use both broadband and phone at same time?
Like others have mentioned above, looks like a case of loose contact / rusting of contacts.

Check if RJ11 cable pins or splitter pins are rusted / loose.

Rohan
Old 5th December 2017, 14:34   #1594
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Assuming this is a DSL line please check if you have a splitter connected. ... ... ... Without the splitter the modem will drop the link when you use the phone.
Really? Oh, but I guess I never tried, having always used a splitter. As I understand it, the splitter is actually a filter to prevent the high-frequency dsl signals affecting the phone. People think it is there for the same of the modem, but it is there for the sake of the phone.
Old 5th December 2017, 18:50   #1595
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Really? Oh, but I guess I never tried, having always used a splitter. As I understand it, the splitter is actually a filter to prevent the high-frequency dsl signals affecting the phone. People think it is there for the same of the modem, but it is there for the sake of the phone.
Well, actually it's there for the sake of both. Without the splitter you will hear a hiss (the DSL carrier signal) on the line and the link will drop a few seconds later due to disturbances caused by lifting the handset and speaking. Neither outcome is desirable.
Old 19th December 2017, 17:03   #1596
BHPian

I have been using ACT with TP-Link WR740N Wireless Router with no issues in Hyderabad. After relocating to Chennai, the speed has reduced to 50% wirelessly and the technician recommends to upgrade to dual band router which supports both 2.5 and 5Ghz respectively.

He has suggested TP-Link AC750 router. Any reviews on this or is there a better router?

Budget < 2k ?

Last edited by dre@ms : 19th December 2017 at 17:05. Reason: Added budget..
Old 19th December 2017, 21:10   #1597
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
After relocating to Chennai, the speed has reduced to 50% wirelessly and the technician recommends to upgrade to dual band router which supports both 2.5 and 5Ghz respectively. He has suggested TP-Link AC750 router.
Speed reduced? WAN/Internet or wireless LAN? Can you express the speed drop in values, please? And what activity were you performing when you noticed the speed drop?

Have you tried to reposition your router for better reception by client devices? Or moving closer to the router?

Please remember there are many factors including router calibre that affect wi-fi speeds. Don't buy a new router till you ascertain the reason for the problem.

Last edited by R2D2 : 19th December 2017 at 21:12.
Old 20th December 2017, 00:11   #1598
Distinguished - BHPian

So I have two broadband connection coming into two dsl routers. One is setup to give out 192.168.1.x range address and the other 192.168.2.x

I have a network printer connected to the first router. I want to access the same printer from second router too.

Any suggestions without having to setup man in middle machine? Connecting Ethernet socket on both routers with a cable and sooner local range setup?

Last edited by sudev : 20th December 2017 at 00:12.
Old 20th December 2017, 00:24   #1599
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudev View Post
I have a network printer connected to the first router. I want to access the same printer from second router too?
I did this when I had two ISPs and had my NAS on one and my media player in my bedroom on another isp. You have to use static ips along with port forwarding to achieve it. I had DD-WRT then on both the routers. Read this link and you may find a few other articles to help. I can't find the exact link I had used but this should get you going.
https://portforward.com/help/doubler...forwarding.htm
Old 20th December 2017, 09:08   #1600
BHPian

Quote:
I have been using ACT with TP-Link WR740N Wireless Router with no issues in Hyderabad. After relocating to Chennai, the speed has reduced to 50% wirelessly and the technician recommends to upgrade to dual band router which supports both 2.5 and 5Ghz respectively.

He has suggested TP-Link AC750 router. Any reviews on this or is there a better router?

Budget < 2k ?
If the issue is zeroed in to Wireless, then I'd suggest fiddling with wireless channels to see if it improves the situation. Most of the time, the overcrowded WiFi spectrum is the culprit.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:25   #1601
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Budget < 2k ?
5GHz is very short range. It will work only in the same room as the router. Even the next room it will drop in speed drastically.

It depends on the location of the router. Are you getting 50% speed even next to the router?

Try changing the channel to Auto or any free channel. You can see all the wifi channels by running wifi analyzer app on your phone.
Old 20th December 2017, 09:41   #1602
Senior - BHPian

Folks

I have a Vodafone 4G dongle. Earlier I had a MTS dongle that was connected to the WiFi Router TP link 3020. It was working fine
Now that MTS is closed, I connected the Vodafone 4G dongle to the WiFi router. It says unable to detect modem.
Any suggestions on what needs to be done so that I can use the router with the Vodafone dongle
Just in case the router does not work, can i connect the dongle to the tab thru a cable and then use the WiFi hotspot in the tab ?
Old 20th December 2017, 10:59   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Speed reduced? WAN/Internet or wireless LAN? Can you express the speed drop in values, please? And what activity were you performing when you noticed the speed drop?

Have you tried to reposition your router for better reception by client devices? Or moving closer to the router?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhp_maniac View Post
If the issue is zeroed in to Wireless, then I'd suggest fiddling with wireless channels to see if it improves the situation. Most of the time, the overcrowded WiFi spectrum is the culprit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
5GHz is very short range. It will work only in the same room as the router. Even the next room it will drop in speed drastically.

It depends on the location of the router. Are you getting 50% speed even next to the router?

Try changing the channel to Auto or any free channel. You can see all the wifi channels by running wifi analyzer app on your phone.
Ok, let me explain in brief.

1. My package speed is 90Mbps
2. Once the re-installation is complete, checked the speed from my mobile and all i could get is only 30-40Mbps sitting next to the Router.
3. Channel was set to Auto in the Router
4. Upon wifi analyzer recommendation, changed the channel to 1
5. Very minimal increase but have not crossed 45Mbps.
6. Connected Laptop through WAN port and the speed was hovering between 80-90Mbps

Hence, the technician suggested to get a dual band. 5Ghz for my Apple TV and Echo Dot and 2.4Ghz for mobile/laptop connections which can be either in any of the bedrooms.

Reason for my post here - the same router was connected in Hyderabad to a Act connection and if i remember was getting 90Mbps over wireless and wired.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:10   #1604
BHPian

Guys,

I live in an apartment and is crowded with WiFi's. Earlier I was using Apple airport extreme for my 200 Mbps Hathaway connection. Due to the channel conjunction my speed was extremely slow and in my last trip to US I bought Google Wifi Mesh routers.

Google WiFi change channels every 5 mins based on the channel conjunctions and provides you the best speed available automatically. while the more traditional routers pick up channel during the startup and stick to that until a reboot, in my understanding.

I am enjoying the full speed right now using only one google WiFi instead of 3 apple airport extremes earlier.

so I recommend, go for the mesh WiFi. Either from Google or Netgear.
Old 20th December 2017, 11:35   #1605
BHPian

Quote:
Reason for my post here - the same router was connected in Hyderabad to a Act connection and if i remember was getting 90Mbps over wireless and wired.
I had a TP Link 841 before and if I remember well, my wireless speed used to max out around 45-50 Mbps. On a side note, for serving my Apple TV I am now using a Powerline ethernet solution through which I am getting around 110-120 Mbps consistently. Wifi spectrum even in the 5GHz band is too crowded now where I live

Last edited by bhp_maniac : 20th December 2017 at 12:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks