Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2011, 15:26   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

There are two ways:

1. Get a router that has QOS. With this you can enforce that no one device can Hog net.
2. Fix Dell. Maybe its infected with a Trojan/Bot that is using up all available bandwith.

Install Bandwidth Monitor (Bandwidth Monitor - Monitor Bandwidth, Network Bandwidth Monitor, Bandwidth Monitor Software) on Dell to see if it is consuming too much bandwidth on net.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:35   #92
Senior - BHPian

Thanks dude. I already had enforced QoS.

Though I doubt the second thing as its official laptop. I will get the bandwidth monitor installed.

Thanks again!
Old 6th January 2011, 15:42   #93
Senior - BHPian

Oh, if its official laptop then installing anything might be tough. Only hack that I can thick of is to buy that 1200 Asus router and throttle that one to specific bandwidth. And set it up in repeater mode or connect its WAN port to one of LAN ports in existing router.
Old 6th January 2011, 15:51   #94
Senior - BHPian

Re: 3G Router

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
Rohan, could you please elaborate a little here.

The current BSNL setup I have is like this:

Line---ADSL wireless modem from BSNL(on first floor)-----WLAN cable to a i-ball baton (ground floor).

So I get two different networks at home one for 1st floor the other for 2nd floor. Due to geometry of my home a single wireless router was not sufficient.

Regards;
-Rohit
If I understand your requirement correctly (please correct me if my understanding is wrong):

1. You have at least 2 PCs which need to be connected to the internet - one PC on the first floor and second PC on the ground floor.

2. Your current setup has ADSL modem and router on first floor. On this router you have connected one PC (kept on first floor) and one router (kept on ground floor), both through LAN cable.

3. The PC on the ground floor is connected to the router on the ground floor through LAN cable.

4. The geometry of the house is such that wifi signal from one floor doesn't reach the other floor.

Please clarify some of my doubts:

1. Do both of your PCs have wifi connectivity ?

2. Are you sure that wifi signal from one floor would not reach the other floor ? Have you tried it, or you are just assuming ?

My suggestion is to buy a 3G USB dongle which would replace the BSNL ADSL modem. This can also be used on the go, unlike a fixed line.

To act as a router, purchase another USB dongle wifi adaptor and configure it as a router. Basically your first PC will act like a router to the second PC.

If your first PC has inbuilt wifi (most laptops have), then you don't even need to purchase this USB dongle wifi adaptor. You can configure your PC to act as a router to the second PC.

Just search on google - convert laptop to wifi router. It will display many sites which provide step-by-step guide on how to do this.

Rohan
Old 6th January 2011, 16:13   #95
Senior - BHPian

^ aren't the 3G plans too expensive to be used for regular home usage?
Old 6th January 2011, 16:45   #96
BHPian

Rohan, thanks for the reply. Let me clarify a bit;

1. I use a laptop with wi-fi on the first floor where the BSNL wireless modem is installed.
2. Dad uses his laptop with wi-fi on the ground floor which is covered by an i-ball wireless router.
3. The i-ball router has the physical LAN connection(RJ-45 connectors) from my primary first floor modem for internet purpose.

I do get a signal on the ground floor from the 1st floor but it is very weak and speed is affected, hence the setup I have currently.

What I am planning is now to get a 3G wireless router something like this

11N 3G Router by Leoxsys Networks Pvt Ltd. ++ Connecting Intelligence ++

to replace my primary BSNL modem and use a 3G dongle (Docomo 3G or Reliance BB+) on the new router for internet and retain the 2nd router for better connectivity downstairs. I do not want to use a laptop as a router as this will need the concerned laptop to be always on and be in the house all the time.

I hope I am clear now. Any better ideas. Any better alternatives than the router I mentioned above. One more thing will 3G be able to match the speed I get with by BSNL broadband currently?

Thanks in advance.

-Rohit

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
If I understand your requirement correctly (please correct me if my understanding is wrong):

1. You have at least 2 PCs which need to be connected to the internet - one PC on the first floor and second PC on the ground floor.

2. Your current setup has ADSL modem and router on first floor. On this router you have connected one PC (kept on first floor) and one router (kept on ground floor), both through LAN cable.

3. The PC on the ground floor is connected to the router on the ground floor through LAN cable.

4. The geometry of the house is such that wifi signal from one floor doesn't reach the other floor.

Please clarify some of my doubts:

1. Do both of your PCs have wifi connectivity ?

2. Are you sure that wifi signal from one floor would not reach the other floor ? Have you tried it, or you are just assuming ?

My suggestion is to buy a 3G USB dongle which would replace the BSNL ADSL modem. This can also be used on the go, unlike a fixed line.

To act as a router, purchase another USB dongle wifi adaptor and configure it as a router. Basically your first PC will act like a router to the second PC.

If your first PC has inbuilt wifi (most laptops have), then you don't even need to purchase this USB dongle wifi adaptor. You can configure your PC to act as a router to the second PC.

Just search on google - convert laptop to wifi router. It will display many sites which provide step-by-step guide on how to do this.

Rohan
Old 7th January 2011, 14:48   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrohit17 View Post
What I am planning is now to get a 3G wireless router something like this

11N 3G Router by Leoxsys Networks Pvt Ltd. ++ Connecting Intelligence ++

to replace my primary BSNL modem and use a 3G dongle (Docomo 3G or Reliance BB+) on the new router for internet and retain the 2nd router for better connectivity downstairs. I do not want to use a laptop as a router as this will need the concerned laptop to be always on and be in the house all the time.

I hope I am clear now. Any better ideas. Any better alternatives than the router I mentioned above. One more thing will 3G be able to match the speed I get with by BSNL broadband currently?

-Rohit
I get it now.

You mentioned that the signal from the 1st floor router does not reach ground floor. But does the signal from the ground floor router reach the 1st floor ? I am asking this because I am suspecting that the BSNL router doesn't have a strong coverage. Or the location of the router may not be ideal.

For increasing the wifi coverage, a wifi repeater would have been sufficient. But now that you already have another router connected to the first router through LAN cable, you can just continue to use the existing setup.

Just replace your BSNL ADSL modem and router with a router which supports 3G. If the wifi coverage of this router is good enough, you may even get coverage on both the floors with a single router. Otherwise use a similar setup as before.

Enquire with your 3G service provider regarding the speed. It would definitely be better than ADSL.

Can you tell us the price of the router with 3G connectivity and the charges for 3G broadband service ?

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 7th January 2011 at 14:52.
Old 7th January 2011, 16:17   #98
BHPian

Thanks Rohan.

The price of the 3G router I mentioned is around Rs.4000. None of the shops at my place have it. I have asked my brother in-law in Banglore to get it for me. There are some 3G router (unheard of company) which directly accept the 3G sim priced around 3500.

The 3G service by Docomo is priced at Rs.1275/month for unlimited plan with speed upto 7.2MBPS. There is 6GB limit upto which the speed will be high and after which it will work as normal dial up.

I am also considering Reliance BB+, with Rs.1100/month 10GB free usage. They are also offering Rs.200 off PM currently for next one year.

Will keep the forum updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I get it now.

You mentioned that the signal from the 1st floor router does not reach ground floor. But does the signal from the ground floor router reach the 1st floor ? I am asking this because I am suspecting that the BSNL router doesn't have a strong coverage. Or the location of the router may not be ideal.

For increasing the wifi coverage, a wifi repeater would have been sufficient. But now that you already have another router connected to the first router through LAN cable, you can just continue to use the existing setup.

Just replace your BSNL ADSL modem and router with a router which supports 3G. If the wifi coverage of this router is good enough, you may even get coverage on both the floors with a single router. Otherwise use a similar setup as before.

Enquire with your 3G service provider regarding the speed. It would definitely be better than ADSL.

Can you tell us the price of the router with 3G connectivity and the charges for 3G broadband service ?

Rohan
Old 22nd January 2011, 18:48   #99
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Buy any router that supports DD-WRT and convert one of the LAN ports to WAN. Then you can configure these two WAN ports in Failover or distribute load across these two.

This one costs 1200:

eBay India: ASUS BROADBAND WIRELESS ROUTER RT-G32 WIFI 54MBPS (item 300510246276 end time 06-Jan-2011 13:10:44 IST)
Is there any way to find out whether a router supports DD-WRT other than referring to specs ?
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:26   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Is there any way to find out whether a router supports DD-WRT other than referring to specs ?
It can be checked at:

Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com
Old 24th January 2011, 14:43   #101
BHPian

Geeks: Need your help, following is the scenario:

1st floor ADSL2 Modem connected to Netgear Wi-Fi router used by 4 laptops.

Setting up a Lab on 2nd floor, I dont get the Wi-Fi range, cannot pull the network cable due to the amount of cabling, drilling etc involved.

I have a parallel telephone line on the second floor, if I buy another ADSL2 Modem and plug it into the available jack, will the internet work parallel to first floor connection ?

Any other suggestions ?
Old 24th January 2011, 14:58   #102
Senior - BHPian

That would not work.

You can either get additional ADSL line on second floor, or buy a second WiFi router, place it at one place on 2nd floor that does get signal and broadcast that to rest of second floor.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:05   #103
BHPian

@Netfreak: On the second floor, I have 3 desktops and they dont have any Wireless N/W cards. Each NIC card is 800, (2400 for 3) which I dont like to invest. Instead what I thought is, there is a ADSL modem + 8-port Switch available for Rs.750, So I was asking if I could plug it in paralleley to the available phone jack.

My internet usage on the second floor would be 20%. But I need those PCs in the network. So I was thinking of this plan.
Old 24th January 2011, 15:20   #104
Senior - BHPian

ADSL modem + router would work, but you will have to spend on another connection.

Or you can use LAN ports in WiFi router to connect these three desktops. In this case, WiFi router would connect desktops on LAN and would given them internet access by connecting to main WiFi router over WiFi.
Old 24th January 2011, 16:31   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I was asking if I could plug it in paralleley to the available phone jack.
emphasis: NetfreakBombay is telling you that you cannot use more than one modem (modem/router) on the same phone/broadband line.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks