Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2010, 16:34   #46
Senior - BHPian

Linksys is the way to go. best customer support service. online assistance without waiting in the queue and these guys support even when warranty is over.

I have a WRT54G2 and i have loved every moment of the customer support. i am just overwhelmed with the kind of assistance they provide for a 2500rs product.
Old 20th November 2010, 17:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

^Leoxsys is good, however its too new for me to suggest.

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2010, 17:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

yeah, thats true. but its one of the few router out there that support 3G USB modem. So, for those who want to share their Photon+ connection to multiple systems over ethernet or wifi, its definitely a boon.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:21   #49
BHPian

Olive Nexus is another router that supports 3G.
Old 22nd November 2010, 18:01   #50
Senior - BHPian

@ NetFreakBombay: thanks a lot buddy for the tips.

@ Rohan_iitr: Thanks a ton for the detailed explanation buddy.

As explained by you, i would like to go with Option 2, that is, without the hub. Also, as you said, I dont need to buy a hub as i can "buy a wifi router which has the feature to selectively switch off the wifi portion when not required". Any idea which D-Link or Buffallo wifi router has this facility?

Also, if i buy such a router (with wifi switch off facility) & i connect it like this-

Airtel line - Existing Airtel modem - WiFi Router (LAN cable) - Desktop (LAN cable)

Would the net connection on desktop still work if i keep the Wi-Fi off? You mean it would just turn the Wi-Fi off but the Wi-Fi router would still be working?

Thanks for the security tips. Regarding point 2, my desktop's net is always ON but i want to keep wi-fi off most of the time. its only for my phone & laptop which we would use rarely. thats the reason i want a setup in which i can individually run either of them. Thanks for the SSID tip.

I am unaware of the router specs, so if you can suggest me a router with model name or number, it would be of great help. Budget is below Rs. 2000. thanks!
Old 23rd November 2010, 11:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Here are the models from D-Link and Buffalo:

D-Link DIR-615 wireless N router

D-Link Wireless N 300 Router

Buffalo WHR-G300N

Buffalo Inc.

Similar models are available from Netgear, LinkSys and Belkin also. Just visit a nearby Croma/Ezone store to compare prices. Look for "wireless N" router. You would get the best prices if you visit the computer wholesale market in your city instead of purchasing from retail stores.

Most of these models would have a facility to selectively turn off the wireless portion. This setting is found in the router admin page which can be accessed from the browser of any computer connected to this router. The address of the admin page is generally 192.168.1.1 (check user manual of respective model). Remember to change the login and password of this admin page after installing the router in your network, otherwise your router (and hence your network) is open for anyone who is in the wifi range.

This feature (to turn off wireless) is generally not advertised on the website or on the product packing, but it is generally there in the recent models.

If you are particular about having this feature, I would suggest that you send a query to the support team through the website, and confirm the presense of this feature before purchasing the router.

Even if this feature is not present, you can always block the wireless signal by wrapping aluminium foil over the antenna, when wireless connectivity is not required.

Or if you want a fool proof approach, go with option 1 (using hub). But it would add extra clutter to your workspace.

There is no need to get paranoid about wifi security. With the security tips mentioned by me in the last post, your network should be sufficiently secure. Remember that just like car security systems, network security systems are also not fool proof. Both can easily be broken into by a skilled person with the right tools.

Rohan

Last edited by rohan_iitr : 23rd November 2010 at 11:06.
Old 23rd November 2010, 15:22   #52
Senior - BHPian

Rohan good info
to add to security measures just add mac filters and you are good
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:09   #53
Senior - BHPian

@ rohan_iitr: Thanks a lot for the info buddy. Please tell me your opinion about Netgear.

I went to a computer store nearby & was enquiring about Wi-Fi routers & he had Linksys, Buffalo & D-Link.

Then he showed me this Netgear N150 router. What caught my attention was the box clearly displayed a manual "Wi-Fi On/Off" button on the router. When i asked him about this, he claims this is the only router which has a manual On/Off button for Wi-Fi. I feel its true since i could not locate such a button on any of the other routers which he had. Also, it has 802.11n connectivity as you said. Price is Rs. 1800, what do you think?

you can have a look at it here.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd November 2010 at 18:11.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:16   #54
BHPian

I would recommend NETGEAR Wireless Router + ADSL Modem - DG834G. Although a bit expensive but it does the work of a wifi router and also of a modem. Its simple to use and saves a lot of space.
The Netgear only WIFI router is also available which is equally good.
Old 23rd November 2010, 18:23   #55
BHPian

Hey Raj,
whichever router you end up buying, do not forget to check if it is listed in this - (Router Database | www.dd-wrt.com) database. DD-Wrt is a custom firmware/ OS for wi-fi router which offers way more features and functionality than ANY brand firmware.
The compatibility of your new wi-fi router with this system will go a long way in helping you adding future functionality, added security and boosted range and quality.
I have personally tried it (it's compatible in only one of my five routers:( ), and can assure it will be a valuable filter criteria.
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:04   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Please tell me your opinion about Netgear.
I don't have personal experience with Netgear products, but I can assure you that Netgear is a very reputed brand.

Since this model has a manual on/off switch for wireless, it perfectly suits your requirement. Go ahead with it.

Price seems to be OK. Try bargaining for Rs 1700. There is a lot of margin on these items.

Rohan
Old 23rd November 2010, 21:22   #57
Senior - BHPian

Thanks rohan. need a last piece of advice from you.

I have shorlisted wi-fi routers from D-Link, Bufallo & Netgear. All three cost approx the same.

Bufallo has a 'security' LED on the panel but i dont know what it means! however, i have read great reviews about it. Netgear, as i said, has the manual switch for Wi-Fi On/Off but have not read much good reviews about it. Finally comes the D-Link which everybody in India appreciates.

If you were in my place, which one would you buy? I am more interested in the latter two.

Last edited by raj_5004 : 23rd November 2010 at 21:25.
Old 24th November 2010, 07:18   #58
Senior - BHPian

All 3 are good brands.

I feel Netgear would be good for you since it has a manual on/off switch for wireless. It is a nice feature to have, I wonder why the other brands are not offering this simple feature.

Netgear also comes with a graphical installation wizard, which would be helpful for people not familiar with the technical jargon.

Security LED would be an indication that wireless encryption is enabled (by adding password) for the network.

If you want to buy D-Link or Buffalo, just confirm with their support team whether turning off wireless is possible in that model, before buying.

Rohan
Old 24th November 2010, 10:40   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I shall update you on my purchase. thanks a lot buddy.
Old 24th November 2010, 22:29   #60
Senior - BHPian

Thanks a lot for all the help friends, especially Rohan. I finally bought a Netgear N150 WGR614 router & i am pleased with its performance, its more than suffiecient for my usage. I bought it for Rs. 1700/- & finally i am using my Xperia X10 to its full potential!

Most Viewed