Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2011, 15:27   #151
BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
Hi,

Can you explain on the connectivity(between 220Bx and E1000),cables to be used(cat-5 with straight or cross) and the config part.

Thanks
Sathya,

To connect the 220Bx and E1000, just use the cable provided with the router (E1000). I'm assuming the cable will be included in the box of the router. Most routers do come with the cable. Connect the LAN out on the 220Bx to the LAN in on the E1000.

The dealer you are buying it from should be able to show you, just go with the 220Bx when you buy the Router.

Regarding the configuration, the router will come with a CD or a download link from where you will have to install the software, if required.

Hope I was helpful
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 20:14   #152
BHPian

Hi,

Finally bought a linksys E1000 and succesfully installed.

Now, is there any option that i can make my router invisble for other computers when they search for wi-fi network. As an alternate setting up a password wud also be fine. My computer directly connects the wi-fi without asking any permission.

Thanks
Old 21st May 2011, 22:57   #153
BHPian

^^ Any router would have been fine. Try to place the router as high as possible on ground floor. Or I would suggest placing it on first floor with a longer cable, bought extra (equidistant from second and ground, kind of center of the house).

AFAIK any cable is fine for routers. I may be wrong but it is switches that have trouble between straight and cross cables.

You can hide the network or you can install a password or both. Choice is yours.

I am not sure about exact settings for your router to hide a network. There is generally an option under wireless settings called "broadcast/hide network SSID" or something similar.

If you hide, you would have to enter network ID and password (added safety) for every system. Sometimes devices (phones, ipods etc) might not be able to connect to the network ID, since it is hidden.

I have always installed a WPA2 password (most common authentication nowadays) for my networks. It is not easy to guess or crack the password, since it is completely your choice.

Never keep an network open. There is always someone looking for free internet if not something malicious.

Last edited by Comrade : 21st May 2011 at 22:59.
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:14   #154
Distinguished - BHPian

modem to router, router to PC --- I do not have a single crossover cable. These days most stuff is self-sensing.

The rule is that like stuff needs a crossover cable. That's PC to PC, or, router/switch/hub to router/switch/hub. Someone correct me if I got the detail wrong: I haven't had to think about it for ten years.

The least likely combination to work on a straight cable is PC to PC --- but even that may; i think my PC's built-in net card is self-sensing.
Old 22nd May 2011, 00:52   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathya_j2084 View Post
As an alternate setting up a password wud also be fine. My computer directly connects the wi-fi without asking any permission.
That is risky (someone can misuse the connection). Do enable WPA so that router would ask for password before allowing connection.

There would be a flyer in router's packaging with step-by-step for enabling WPA.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:39   #156
BHPian

wireless router to support 3-4 laptops

My current router Linksys WRT54G (dual antenna) decided to stop serving me after around 3 yrs. The internet tends to freeze when browsing on WIFI.

When i connect to the MTNL modem through ethernet, the connection is stable. I have read that WRT54G has problems with multiple users (currently i have 3 laptops connected simultaneously to the router).

Any suggestions for a basic WIFI router (around 3.5K) that can support a stable connection for multiple PCs?

Last edited by aah78 : 24th May 2011 at 20:23. Reason: Merged with existing.
Old 24th May 2011, 14:47   #157
BHPian

Re: wireless router to support 3-4 laptops

D-Link DIR 615. Using this with 10-20 users connected simultaneously. It also has 2 antennas.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:39   #158
BANNED

How about using an Android 2.2 phone for the job? I am sure there is a way.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:41   #159
Senior - BHPian

Dlink DSL 2640T ADSL Router with built in DSL modem. Using it for 4 PC's and 1 phone without any problems. Range is an issue though, but not for me as all my PC's are relatively close to it.

@sgitk - Good for upto 2 PC's max. Tried and tested.

Last edited by vikram_d : 24th May 2011 at 15:44.
Old 24th May 2011, 15:55   #160
BANNED

I have installed connectify in one of the laptop. This allows me to create a wifi hotspot. The other laptop recognizes it just like any other wifi hotspot. Speed is reasonable good.
Old 24th May 2011, 16:38   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trance_nut View Post
When i connect to the MTNL modem through ethernet, the connection is stable. I have read that WRT54G has problems with multiple users (currently i have 3 laptops connected simultaneously to the router).

Any suggestions for a basic WIFI router (around 3.5K) that can support a stable connection for multiple PCs?
WiFi routers should support multiple connections. Find out if the WRT54G's firmware can be updated or even if a newer version firmware is available. Updating sometimes solves such problems.
Old 24th May 2011, 17:27   #162
BHPian

Now a days any basic wifi router should be able to do the job. I have a netgear (sorry forgot the model, but can get it if you need), which serves 3 laptops + 2 phones. Cost was 1.5k 2 years back.

What might be a concern is about prioritizing your devices. For example, if one device is hogging the bandwidth (say a huge download) while you are trying to access your mails during break fast, then you may see really slow mail downloads. That could be frustrating. If this situation is acceptable, then any basic wifi router should do the job.

Now, if you want a more elegant solution to the problem above, you need a router that supports QoS (Quality of Service). Such a router will allow you to specify settings on the router to prioritze the devices and applications allowing you to use the bandwidth better. I have not done these things myself, but if you plan to use Voip or some such application that needs a certain guarenteed bandwidth, you need to think about QoS supported router.

EDIT: Realized that your current router is working, but only hangs when more than 3 devices get connected. Did you try upgrading the firmware as DrunkenMonk sugested?

Last edited by deep_bang : 24th May 2011 at 17:29.
Old 24th May 2011, 19:59   #163
Senior - BHPian

While almost any router will do the job, check for compatibility if you are buying a new router.

Since I bought my latest laptop, I have seen an annoying problem - If I connect my old Win XP and the new Win 7 computer simultaneously, the router somehow gets confused and even though it connects to both (and its own IP address and control menus are accessible from both) the internet connection is lost.

this despite the modem and the ethernet connections still working.

I bought this router 4 yrs ago, and it is a discontinued unit. Also Dl-lin website says it is not compatible with Windows 7. Whatever you buy check the compatibility first.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:06   #164
Team-BHP Support

4-5 laptops, any will do. You can go for the cheaper 2k models also.
Netgear is a safe bet.
I got one from USA for $10 (refurbished) and it serves us pretty good.
Old 24th May 2011, 20:52   #165
BHPian

Did you try upgrading Linksys firmware? I would suggest that first, if you have not done it in last three years.

Basic router should cost you around Rs. 1500. The good ol' Neatgear WGR614 is still a worthy choice if its just internet browsing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks