Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th November 2011, 16:59   #271
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Guys,

I have a tata indicom broadband connection which uses a Zyxel P600 wireless modem. I have connected my airport express to join the tata network to extend the range. It works but not efficiently, if I close the door to the bedroom when I am inside the bedroom - the wifi signal isnt available.

What should I do ? Get a range extender ? Which one ?

Any work around with the Airport Express ?
No one has a solution ?
Old 6th November 2011, 17:09   #272
Senior - BHPian

Anyone know of any router available locally that works as a wireless bridge? Something as inexpensive as possible.
Old 7th November 2011, 00:30   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
No one has a solution ?
I figure, your airport express is also inside the bedroom and you are not getting signal outside. Correct?

If there is absolutely no signal outside, I am not sure how effective a range extender would be. IMO you are better off replacing the airport express with something better...and I am heading underground for the fear of apple fanboys.
Old 7th November 2011, 13:58   #274
Senior - BHPian

Netgear WGR614 (N 150). Should cost approx 1500. This feature is mentioned as "repeater".

Or you can replace existing router with WN2000RPT (costs 2.8k) it has more powerful antenna so might not need repeater/bridge at all.
Old 11th November 2011, 08:59   #275
BHPian

Friends
I have BSNL broadband ADSL router connected to my Desktop. I want to add Wireless Router to the ADSL router to access the net on Laptop. The net is required to connect manually i.e. switching on the Desktop PC and connecting to net.
I want to access the net wirelessly on laptop without switching on DESKTOP. Is it possible?
Which type of Wireless Router should i buy? ADSL based by replacing the existing router or Should i attach wireless router to existing ADSL router. My existing ADSL router is Dlink GLB502T.
THANKS.
Old 22nd November 2011, 18:24   #276
BHPian

Hello Friends,

I have a Airtel Wifi BB connection at home which came with the Beetel 450TC1 ADSL Modem/Router. This router is now giving me issues with intermittent connection drops. After diagnoses the Airtel Tech says that the router is the culprit. Now I can either get it repaired or replace it.

I choose to replace it with an ADSL Wifi Router that is more reliable (then Beetel) and with a more powerful Wifi Antenna. Brands wouldn't matter as far as it has decent Warranty backup in Blre. I'd like to buy any router that is not too expensive (~2k) and can work for years without manual interventions or service needs etc.

So I'd like a Good Workhorse (24/7 Powered-On) which is Hassle free, and is available at a Reasonable Price.

Please let me know your suggestions (Brands/models) and if possible places(in Blre)/websites to buy one.

All Suggestions Welcome.

Thanks,
Zenster.
Old 22nd November 2011, 19:07   #277
BHPian

Hi Friends,

I have an Airtel Broadband and the router is I guess 220 BX1 ADSL2.
I have a PS3. The problem is my connection shows NAT Type 2 which actually limits the my online game play on my PS3. My bhaiya is having an airtel broadband too but he has a wifi router from airtel. He does not have this problem.

I have two question:
1) If I buy a wireless router from outside and plug it into my modem, will I be able to sort this NAT type issue and do Port Forwarding kind of things which will help me in Online Gameplay.
2) If yes, which brand of router.
3) Or should I just call Airtel people and tell them to give me a wireless router.

Thanks
Old 23rd November 2011, 10:37   #278
BHPian

SO which is the best wifi router for say a 2 floor house. I have a Dlink one, which AI got for about 2.5-3k, but am still getting some dead zones. The problem I face is that the router has to be at one corner of the house, as thats where the broadband line comes into the house.

I would rather have a single box than use an extender.
Old 23rd November 2011, 12:05   #279
BHPian

Guys. I want a wireless router for my unlimited 2MBPS Airtel connection. Office has provided my better half with a laptop and a BB, so have to share my connection. :(

This will be my first wireless router so pardon me if you find some of the following questions a bit noobish.

1. It's required for a 1000 sqft house. And it needs to cut through the walls.
2. Need to retain the direct line to my PC and share via this router.
3. Net to be shared with 2 mobile phones and a laptop.
4. I've heard it affects downloading from torrents. So whatever router it is, it should be torrent-friendly.
5. I don't want my better-half to hog all the bandwidth. So is there any way where I can share say 30kbps of 45 kbps of my bandwidth.
6. Am not looking to invest a lot in it, so give me a cheap, reliable option. (2 of her office colleagues told her to get this: Flipkart: Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router: Router and my yo yo bro from US tells me to get either this: Flipkart: Asus RT-N12: Router or this Flipkart: Cisco Linksys Wireless-N Router: Router )

What do you guys suggest?

Lagging gameplay days are near! :"(
Old 16th December 2011, 20:34   #280
Team-BHP Support

I dont se erange extenders (wifi repeaters) being listed in any online or store catalogs.
Are they difficult to procure? Can some one point as to where I buy one in Bangalore?
Old 16th December 2011, 21:36   #281
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
Guys. I want a wireless router for my unlimited 2MBPS Airtel connection. Office has provided my better half with a laptop and a BB, so have to share my connection. :(

This will be my first wireless router so pardon me if you find some of the following questions a bit noobish.

4. I've heard it affects downloading from torrents. So whatever router it is, it should be torrent-friendly.
5. I don't want my better-half to hog all the bandwidth. So is there any way where I can share say 30kbps of 45 kbps of my bandwidth.
6. Am not looking to invest a lot in it, so give me a cheap, reliable option. (2 of her office colleagues told her to get this: Flipkart: Netgear Wireless-N 150 Router: Router and my yo yo bro from US tells me to get either this: Flipkart: Asus RT-N12: Router or this Flipkart: Cisco Linksys Wireless-N Router: Router )

Hi.. not sure about which routers are good among what you have listed, but you can achieve bandwidth prioritization via a feature called QoS (Quality of service). This is more usually used where you might want to prioritize one device - perhaps a voice or video device, to have higher priority than others. Bandwidth limitation can also be done.

Since this is a router feature, look for one that has QoS, if you are really serious about bandwidth allocation. If you are just browsing, i dont see a need fort all this setup. But, if you want, buy a router that supports this. I would anyday prefer linksys, but thats my personal chioce than a rule.
Old 17th December 2011, 00:42   #282
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Wifi doesn't go through walls very well - though in a 1000ft house it should be OK. If you are too worried mae sure the router in 802.11g compatible -that is MIMO and has better range in such environment. The flipside is your devices must be 802.11g too(all new laptops are, I don't know about cellphones)

Any wireless router you buy today will provide you plenty of ethernet ports and multiple simultaneous wireless connections. Torrents do not cause trouble - even the worst WiFi router has 54Mbps, the new ones much more than that, the limiting factor here is most likely your Airtel connection.

You can look at Belkin too - at Croma wireless router-modem combo is available for 2400 (I bought the same a few weeks ago from a different shop for Rs. 3400)
Old 17th December 2011, 01:17   #283
BHPian

Quote:

For Best Results, Mount the Router at Higher Level of Room, preferable would be Near a Window or a outlet.

Try checking specs of Newer Router models, they come with multiple Antenna and has better coverage, also includes Bandwidth limit for connected clients so you can specify a quota for her to use and raise it only once you have details about her laptop and mobile bandwidth usage.

I Recently bought one TP-Link TL-MR3420 3G Router, it supports USB modem and is 300mbps capable with dual Antennas
also has fall back connection option if you have WAN based connectivity, it also has bandwidth limiting feature and MAC Binding option.

Currently I am using it with Reliance Netconnect BB+ for 20 hours a day and its just fine.
Old 17th December 2011, 09:48   #284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Go for Linksys N Router anytime, they are the best, i use one for me too and it performs best
Old 17th December 2011, 13:10   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I dont se erange extenders (wifi repeaters) being listed in any online or store catalogs.
Are they difficult to procure? Can some one point as to where I buy one in Bangalore?
Ebay has it NETGEAR, Universal WiFi Range Extender (Catalog Category: Networking- Wireless | eBay but its very expensive.
slicvic is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks