Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2012, 18:23   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

How do you figure out if your device is Wireless-N ready?

I have a HP Elitebook 8440W laptop, I-pad one and Samsung Galaxy1 phone.
Old 30th May 2012, 19:45   #377
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Simplest way would be to look up the specs.
Old 9th June 2012, 00:04   #378
BHPian

Is there anyone who has purchased the Asus WL-330N3G 3g wifi router and was successful in configuring a Reliance Netconnect+ USB dongle to it ?

I got one, but not able to get a Rel Netconnect running on it, Though it works fine with an Airtel 3g USB dongle.
Old 9th June 2012, 01:34   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Is there anyone who has purchased the Asus WL-330N3G 3g wifi router and was successful in configuring a Reliance Netconnect+ USB dongle to it ?

I got one, but not able to get a Rel Netconnect running on it, Though it works fine with an Airtel 3g USB dongle.
I have the Asus and have run it with Airtel, BSNL, Tata etc. What model is the dongle used in the Reliance Netconnect?
Old 9th June 2012, 09:19   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotzuk View Post
I have the Asus and have run it with Airtel, BSNL, Tata etc. What model is the dongle used in the Reliance Netconnect?
My dongle is Reliance Netconnect+
Its a ZTE AC2737 modem.

These are the router settings that I set

ISP : Reliance
Enable USB Modem : Enable HSDPA
3G Adapter: Tried Auto, and ZTE_AC2737
APN: tried reliance / internet / blank
Pin: Not sure what goes here ? the reliance net connect + does not have a pin or sim, I slid open the back of the dongle. No such pin listed

Dial Number: #777
Account: 7483******
Password: 7483******

Any pointers would greatly be appreciated.

Also upgraded the router to Firmware Version: 1.0.2.0, did not help
Called up Reliance customer support regarding the dongle pin. They are clueless and not even trying to understand.

Last edited by Fillmore : 9th June 2012 at 09:23.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:11   #381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Picked up the basic Belkin N150 router yesterday. Since my house is pretty much a matchbox I get excellent connectivity throughout the house.

Since I live on the topfloor of my house I expected it to have connectivity on the roof as well. But sadly I have poor/no connectivity even when I stand right above the router on the roof.

Range for the router limited by the number of walls?

Anyways to improve it?
Hi You will have buy a range extender. The common one available is linksys RE 1000.
Old 9th June 2012, 11:16   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Hi Right click on the computer option on the start page. Then go into properties and select device manager. there select the network adaptor and click on one which you are using to connect to the net. Once done again select properties and it will have some mention of 802.11 n. if it done then you have the same. The ipad has the wireless n by default.
Old 11th June 2012, 18:25   #383
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi,

In a drive to move to Wi-Fi N I purchase a Linksys X3000 modem router (gateway) and the Linksys EA4500 router to replace my aging 7 year old Wi-Fi B/G Linksys WRT54G and Linksys WAG325N gateway.

Has anybody here used the X3000 and EA4500?

Cheers!
Old 12th June 2012, 12:33   #384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
If and when you have 'n' devices to attach, then it will make a big difference
And even then you would need to have matching Internet speeds. Unless you use the router for Intranet extensively your Internet speed will be a bottleneck and the current Wireless G Router should suffice

Even I was thinking of buying a new 802.11 N Router but my existing 6 year old Linksys WRT54G just refuses to die. I was hoping it would be inadequate once I moved to a new house which is duplex and it surprised me by providing connectivity even in my second floor.

Last edited by DWind : 12th June 2012 at 12:41.
Old 28th June 2012, 19:42   #385
BHPian

My Belkin Wifi router N150 does not turn on since morning. Looks like an adaptor issue.

Called the tollfree number and was advised to replace the whole product. The catch is
1. The replaced router will have 12 months warranty and not lifetime.
2. They need the original bill. I have that but its completely faded.
3. Replacement will take upto 15 days

Do you think, I should try and get the adapter from elsewhere. Its a simple 5V 1A adapter which should not cost more than 100 bucks. I have been using this router for 2.5 yrs with no issues whatsoever.
Old 28th June 2012, 19:49   #386
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
My Belkin Wifi router N150 does not turn on since morning. Looks like an adaptor issue.

Called the tollfree number and was advised to replace the whole product. The catch is
1. The replaced router will have 12 months warranty and not lifetime.
2. They need the original bill. I have that but its completely faded.
3. Replacement will take upto 15 days

Do you think, I should try and get the adapter from elsewhere. Its a simple 5V 1A adapter which should not cost more than 100 bucks. I have been using this router for 2.5 yrs with no issues whatsoever.
Just get a new poer adaptor from any good electronics store. Just ensure the curent output and plug matches the existing adaptor.
Old 29th June 2012, 00:07   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
Every home should have at least a simple multi-meter. It's good to be able to check that a power supply is, err, supplying power.

Of course, every such meter should come with a warning about the dnager of doing anything at all with it other than testing such low voltages

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th June 2012 at 00:08.
Old 29th June 2012, 12:40   #388
BHPian

Just wanted to share my wifi experience with all you guys and hopefully it will be helpful for some of you.

I have been trying to get my wifi signal all over the house (around 4,000 sqft between 2 floors) and tried a lot of different routers. The problem was and continues to be that the Airtel modem connection is in one extreme end of the house and any router I connected was not able to give me complete coverage all over the house.

I started off about 4 years ago with a netgear basic router, then tried a Belkin basic one. Both were ok, but had lots of dropping problems and had to be reset from tme to time. Not being happy with how they were working for me, I then tried two basic asus routers, both flashed to DDWRT to run one in repeater mode.

This was by far the best option I could figure out at that time, but still had a few blank spots around the house, along with disconnecton issues and reboting would normally solve this. One of them finally went bust a year later and I was back to thinking about my options. This was about a year ago and by now there were close to 5-6 wireless devices connecting to the router, specially during the evenings.

So I went in for a DLink 615 and was happy with the performance, since it worked almost as well as my previous setup which consisted of two routers in a repeater mode.

Finally, I had some free time about a month ago and decided to get down to it and solve this problem of dead spots in the house once and for all. Read a lot of reviews and spoke to a lot of people, but just could not take a call as to what equipment to buy. On some pushing from a friend, I decided to take a chance and bought an Asus RT N16 router. This router used to be the top of the line one till about a year and a half back and used to cost close to 8-9k at that point of time. Luckily, prices have fallen since then and I managed to get one for around 5.5k.

Its quite a bit bigger than the regular wifi routers and seems to have a sturdier build quality and antenna quality as well.

Got home connected it to the modem and I was pleasently surprised to see that the router managed to do the whole setup on its own, I didnt have to type in anything or fill in any settings what so ever, other than to setup the password.

This was a good start. So, part two of the test was to see what kind of signal I got upstairs. I was pleasently surprised to see a signal of 74% in my compter as compared to between 40-50% from my D Link setup.

And finally I tok an android phone with a wifi monitor around the house to find ZERO dead spots.

For anyone in a similar delimma, try this router, I have only good things to say about it.
Old 3rd July 2012, 00:53   #389
BHPian

Mav2000, does ASUS RTN16 has USB port for connecting external HDD. If yes have u tried it for sharing or streaming video? It shall be great help. I m also looking for wifi router with USB port, upto 3-4000 price. I do not have LCD tv yet, but it is coming in 6 months.
Old 4th July 2012, 15:50   #390
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Every home should have at least a simple multi-meter. It's good to be able to check that a power supply is, err, supplying power.

Of course, every such meter should come with a warning about the dnager of doing anything at all with it other than testing such low voltages
Yes sir, I do have the multimeter. Just did not find time to use it due to a personal crisis at home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikram_d View Post
Just get a new poer adaptor from any good electronics store. Just ensure the curent output and plug matches the existing adaptor.
It was indeed an adaptor gone kaput. Replaced it with a Nokia Thick Pin adaptor of same specs and things are fine. Do not want to shorten my warranty for the sake of an adaptor.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks