Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2012, 14:58   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: On Wi-Fi & Routers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mempheS.D View Post
Thanks a bunch for this information. That antenna you just mentioned is a boom as per the reviews that I quicklywent through. Do you have a recommendation if the same 2000sqft house had a FIRST FLOOR too? Would the omnidirectional antenna work? Or do I need repeaters?
For 2 levels of floor, you will have to place the router at the first floor at waist levels since the waves can travel downward easily than upwards, whether or not you will need a repeater at the ground floor will then depend upon how the floor is spread out, walls, obstructions etc.

You will have to experiment with the placement of the router at the first floor and decide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Thanks. Please can you suggest some brands for these routers? I do not get 4G connectivity in Delhi, so I'll have to stay with 3G. From what I have seen of my 3G (Vodafone) and when I tether other devices to it using my phone (HOS), the net performance I end up getting for each device is more than sufficient for me. My WiFi is almost always slower!
I have used TP-link and no issues with it, go for TL-MR3420 but do check the Service provide/device compatibility list under downloads before you buy.

Last edited by dadu : 17th September 2012 at 15:03.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:15   #467
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Does anyone here have an experience with 3G-Wifi Routers?
I am currently using Airtel broadband at home and I am totally PI**ED off with their bandwidth and fair usage policy. My billing cycle runs from 11th of every month and on 13th I am getting between 128-256 KBPS on what is supposed to be a 2 MBPS line. Anyways, nuff said about Airtel.

I have firmly made up my mind to go the 3G route and ditch a Grounded Internet connection for my home.
I typically stay in a 2000 sq. ft. apartment and need a 3G Sim Based Wifi Router.
I need to be able to connect up to 5 devices on it at a time.
Most of the stuff I have been able to look up so far are the portable variety and I'm not sure if they would be able to service a 2000 sq. ft. space effectively.

Can I have some suggestions on what to buy? I would like to limit my spend to within 8K.
You are getting 128-256KBps or 128-256kbps ? If its KBps then speeds are ok for 2Mbps connection.
Old 17th September 2012, 15:28   #468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I have used TP-link and no issues with it, go for TL-MR3420 but do check the Service provide/device compatibility list under downloads before you buy.
Thanks Dadu, but I need a Sim based router. The thing is I have a Vodafone 3G Dongle, but do not wish to be necessarily bound to Vodafone as a Service Provider. AFAIK the Vodafone dongle is firmware locked to Vodafone SIM. Do you have any suggestions for a SIM based Router?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
You are getting 128-256KBps or 128-256kbps ? If its KBps then speeds are ok for 2Mbps connection.
My my.... kbps of course.
Old 17th September 2012, 16:45   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi Netfreak - Thanks. The routers I have seen from Huawei or Micromax, purportedly support five devices concurrently. My only problem is that these are portable routers and may (most certainly) have a limited range.
Yes, these router have a limited range.

So, you can use them in addition to existing router. This 2G router would only serve one connection to existing router and that router would provide better coverge to rest of devices.
Old 17th September 2012, 18:48   #470
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Dadu, but I need a Sim based router. The thing is I have a Vodafone 3G Dongle, but do not wish to be necessarily bound to Vodafone as a Service Provider. AFAIK the Vodafone dongle is firmware locked to Vodafone SIM. Do you have any suggestions for a SIM based Router?

Not aware of any, but you can buy a unlocked USB dongle and use any SIM with it.
Old 17th September 2012, 19:58   #471
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. Please can you let me know which brand and model this is. Are you using it at home, or while travelling? 1 MBPS is fantastic for my needs.
I bought a TP-link TL-MR3020 3G router. I am using it for home as of now, haven't travelled with it. I bought it just because I read very good reviews about it in the flipkart site.

Micromax has Sim based router name like MMX 400-R, not sure about their quality.
Old 18th September 2012, 03:20   #472
BHPian

Quote:

Go for TP-link router, I am using one for about a Year, its TP-Link MR 3420 v1, it will accept your vodafone stick without an issue.

You can always unlock your modem for free, there are too many resources on the web.. else let me know via PM, I can guide you for free, if its a huawei model.
Old 21st September 2012, 11:51   #473
Senior - BHPian

Back after a long long absence from the forum, need some help. Looking to order this router from amazon.com for use in India. Has anyone had any experience with it.

New Netgear DGND 3700

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A284PRV19Y1MTF

What i am specifically looking at is
1. Wider range
2. Top of the line
3. USB ports to connect storage that can be shared across all devices
Old 21st September 2012, 13:49   #474
BHPian

Recently i upgraded my broadband to a 16Mbps Airtel plan. I have a Wireless 54g ADSL2+ Modem provided by Airtel , its about 2 years old ( Manufactured by SemIndia Systems , Model DNA2011).

When i connect my laptop via the Ethernet cable directly to the modem, and run speedtest.net , i get the promised speed of 16Mbps.

But when connecting via Wifi , the maximum speed i see is 8-10Mbps.

Wondering why is that so? I tried fiddling around with some of the advanced settings on the Modem like 54g Rate, multicast rate, XPress™ Technology, 54g Mode..etc , yet the max i can hit is 8Mbps over Wifi.

My laptop is the only device connected , and i dont have any cordless phones/microwaves that can interfere. I even changed the channel from 1 to 11, but in vain.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:02   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
Recently i upgraded my broadband to a 16Mbps Airtel plan. I have a Wireless 54g ADSL2+ Modem provided by Airtel , its about 2 years old ( Manufactured by SemIndia Systems , Model DNA2011).

When i connect my laptop via the Ethernet cable directly to the modem, and run speedtest.net , i get the promised speed of 16Mbps.

But when connecting via Wifi , the maximum speed i see is 8-10Mbps.

Wondering why is that so? I tried fiddling around with some of the advanced settings on the Modem like 54g Rate, multicast rate, XPress™ Technology, 54g Mode..etc , yet the max i can hit is 8Mbps over Wifi.

My laptop is the only device connected , and i dont have any cordless phones/microwaves that can interfere. I even changed the channel from 1 to 11, but in vain.
How much are you paying for 16Mbps with what download size limits.

Its multitude of things, in the same order:

- Signal Strength
- Frequency might be choking under the channel
- Since its a unknown router, the chipset itself might be a problem.

Try borrowing a different router from a friend and check.
Old 21st September 2012, 14:13   #476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
How much are you paying for 16Mbps with what download size limits.

Its multitude of things, in the same order:

- Signal Strength
- Frequency might be choking under the channel
- Since its a unknown router, the chipset itself might be a problem.

Try borrowing a different router from a friend and check.

I'm paying 1700/- per month , and this plan name is Supersonic 1700 .There is an 80GB limit , and after that you get 512kbps as per FUP.

Yea, i will try borrowing another router and check it out.
Old 21st September 2012, 17:23   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap04 View Post
I tried fiddling around with some of the advanced settings on the Modem like 54g Rate, multicast rate....
Any way you can force "only g" (and NOT b) on both your router and your laptop?

8-10 Mbps sounds like what wireless-b should put through.

cya
R

And just to be clear i'm talking Mb (mega-bits).
Old 22nd September 2012, 09:53   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Any way you can force "only g" (and NOT b) on both your router and your laptop?

8-10 Mbps sounds like what wireless-b should put through.

cya
R

And just to be clear i'm talking Mb (mega-bits).
Only way would be be to select only "g" protocol in the router setup, the laptop will follow. I have read people getting upto 25Mb's throughput with "g".
Old 29th September 2012, 11:37   #479
Senior - BHPian

I have a Wi Fi router Linksys WRT 120N.
We have a cable internet at home.
The problem, if I connect the cable to the system it get connected with the web page of
the service provider.When I connect the cable to the wifirouter I am unable to get the webpage of the service provider to login.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 30th September 2012, 14:37   #480
BHPian

Ok need for a new wifi router arises. I am looking at the ASUS RT N66U.
Its perfect for my needs and reviews suggest that it is awesome. I am getting it for 13.5k. Should I go ahead and buy this one or should I buy the Apple Airport Extreme? Are there are any other routers to look out for that are better than the RT-N66?

Cheers,
K

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks